ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:47 am 

Lucia, first calm down, you have not lost any money yet. If you have not sent any money overseas, you are in a good position. Call the bank manager, tell him or her you were involved in a scam and you have reason to believe a check you deposited recently is fraudulant, tell her the amount of the check and date you deposited it. DO NOT SPEND THE MONEY. It is not there. Simply tell her it is going to come back as fake, when it does you have not touched the money so you will be fine. Inform him or her of the scam immediately, if they are not already aware of it educate them tell them they need to take proper measures to ensure this does not happen to another customer, education is the key! Congrats for not send any funds back overseas, pat yourself on the back for being weary and catching yourself before it happened. Now the key is to educate the bank, have them frame that fake check and hang it in their lobby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:51 am 

Lucia, also- email the scammer tell him the check was bad and the bank laughed at it, he will try to tell you it is good and to go somewhere else, like a check-cashing place to cash it, ignore him, he will go away sooner or later.

Post subject: Counterfeit check
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:38 pm 

Thanks Sunray, I went back to the bank this afternoon and, as I walked in the door the bank manager was talking to someone on the phone and she said, "Oh, she just walked in the door." My heart was really pounding at that!

She had just been called about the check and told it was on an alert list and was bad. Fortunately I had a handfull of info I had printed off the Internet about these scams.

She was very nice and told me not to worry about it that I was not in any trouble. I called the Secret Service but they weren't interested. They told me to call the local police but I don't see what good that would do so I'm just going to consider myself very fortunate.

I'm on another forum of people who own websites. I'm going to post this information so they can all be informed. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:47 pm 

Agina Lucia, congrats for not being stung, unfortunately the secret service gets so many of these, that another on their desk just adds to more clutter, all we can do is educate ourselves, friends, family and hopefully the banks involved.
Again, your scammer will keep hounding you- tell him not to bother you the secret service has been notified and he should bug off....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:30 pm 

Have you sent money? If not do not spend any of the money the bank cleared, when the check bounces give them back all the money immediately. If you have spent money you will wind up owing what you spent or all of the cleared money dependant on what is left or not.

Post subject: Counterfeit check
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:32 pm 

No I didn't send money because I was suspicious about the address. I had to ask the bank mgr to put a hold on the check even tho she found it on an alert file. I won't TOUCH it. I just want it out of there but it's in the system now and has to work its way through.

Again, I'm fortunate I found this forum. Thanks all.

Post subject: Update on bad check
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:03 am 

I've gotten two more emails from scammer. 1) He said to send money order immediately!!! 2) He said I was causing his client undue harm as I now had their money and his client was having to pay daily hold charges to a ship awaiting the car I had sold him. (I was selling a piano!)

Anyway, I wrote back to him telling him that it was now in the hands of the FBI, Secret Service, and Royal Canadian Mounted Police. In point of fact, I got in touch with these agencies but none of them was even remotely interested. The Secrect Service suggested I call the local police, as if they have ther resources to catch international criminals.

This was a surprise to me but I have no choice but to let it go and hope I never hear from him again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:04 pm 

Lucia- block his email if allowed, and does he have you phone number? Has he called? Usually if you tell them the check has been handed to the secret service they bug off, but you may want to block him from email if possible.

Post subject: An article on Nigerian and other scams- worth reading!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:34 am 
Gold Member

There is an excellent article on scams in the July 11 issue of the Fort Worth Star Telegram (Texas).
The reporter, Pete Alfano did a lot of research and used some of the posts on this website to illustrate many kids of scams- how they work and how many have been taken.
If you cannot access the article PM me and I will be glad to email it to you.
Pete Alfano might be a good person for the police to contact to afirm that one has been a victim and not a criminal.
Churchmouse

The site http://www.dfw.com requires a free registration to access all of their on line newspaper articles etc.

Post subject: what do I do
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:55 am 

Hello

I also fell victim to the Nigeria scammers. I have the FedEx package but have not yet opened it. I called FedEx they are coming to pick the package up. I asked them to give me the address of the person who sent the package. His name is Luis Bick his address is 113 Palm Ave. Lagos, Nigeria. He told me that he was sending the package from Canada. He went under the name of Morris Brown. When I found out it was a scam I contacted the FBI. They told me they knew that there were scams like this out there. They didn't really tell me what to do. I email Morris and told him that I was not interested. I just want to make sure that I am on the right track. I do not want these people lies and deceptions to fall on my shoulders. If you have any advice on how to go about handling this situation please let me know. Thank you all so much this web site has really helped me.

Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:43 am 
Gold Member

Hi Sue

Yes you are right - it is a scam. Make certain that Fedex does not bill you for the box.

Well done for checking the situation out before losing the cash.!

OC

Post subject: Nigerians Arrested
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:50 am 
Please read the following
http://allafrica.com/stories/200409201224.html
Some 3.5 million has been recovered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:29 pm 

Well Howdy it is about time!!!!!!! annon what does this mean for Vics? will there be any future means for vics to get at least some financial help?

Post subject: Victims
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:02 am 
That is up to Justice Dept Attorny General Ashcroft. There certainly pperars to be some money and or goods for restitution. A political question I am afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 pm 

Yeah the trick will be to get it out of the Nigerian Govt's hands and that wont be easy. Well at least something is being done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next