ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ATM Scam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:16 am 

What do you think of a new ATM scam whereby a 'skimming' device and webcams are placed at ATM's, recording the details on the strip of the bank card and recording the pin number when it is entered.

At http://www.commercialbranch.com/alert1.htm one can view a power point presentation with on how this ATM scam is committed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm 

It is not just ATM's they are also putting them on Gas Pumps too so beware with using either method to put your card in unless the location is well lit and covered with cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:24 pm 
Gold Member

Unfortunately, skimming is becoming more and more common. In addition to devices being placed on ATM and POS machines, thieves also use handheld skimmers. There were a few cases around here a couple of years ago where restaurant wait staff were using handheld skimmers to capture card info when walking the card to the register to ring up the purchase.

Post subject: AMT Scams
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:38 am 
This scam appears to have reached such a level here in the UK, that my bank has now advised it's customers to reduce to a minimum their use of ATM's! They want us to take out all our cash for the week in one go - so I then have to walk around with hundreds of pounds on my person, thereby increasing my risk of becoming a victim of mugging, as the police have pointed out to the Bank. The Bank seems to have shot itself in the foot, admitting that their own ATM network is inherently insecure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:59 pm 

Here is an idea DUH...... The banks that own their own ATM's in a booth that only the card of the person who holds an account with them can use to open the door which will safety lock behind them when they are using the ATM, heavily arm the sucker with cameras ( hidden) so that if anyone attempts to tamper with the machine they will be seen. Change the locking system on the machine that only their personnel have the access to the master key, unique from other peoples machines. Seems the problem with the skimmers is that they are obtaining master keys to gas pumps and atm machines, make it impossible to get a master key and walla you have just cut down the possiblity of a device being planted.
Way too many banks rely on private companies to service their machines, same with private ATM networks too many hands in the cookie jar is not a good thing, too many keys in the hands of others is a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:38 pm 
Here in my hometown in British Columbia my local bank was taken for $4,000 in one day. I guessi the skimmer was put on in the middle of the night. It might be just as easy for bank personnel to check the machines during the day and then increase camera use plus any of Karyn's suggestions at night. Either that or shut ATMs that are outside down at night . Those that are inside stores and malls can be monitored on a regular basis.
This reminds me of the criminals who are able to get phone card numbers from public phones.
Churchmouse
P.S. HI Rian! you sure are a popular guy on 419eater. Good to have you here too!

Post subject: Just a full detail on this ATM scam crap
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:34 pm 

Thieves have figured out a way to scam the public by outfitting ATMs with fake keypads. Police say con artists modify ordinary laptop computers equipped with card-scanners so they can fit over the ATM screen. They place signs written in both English and Spanish over the slot where you would insert your bank card. The sign instructs you to use the new or alternative mode of swiping the card. With just one swipe of your bankcard into this device, thieves can capture your debit card and pin numbers...and use that information to drain your accounts! If an ATM machine looks suspicious, it probably is. Call your bank or the machine vendor before you insert your card.

Post subject: wow,
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:45 am 

you guys are scaring me. heh i'm getting all paranoid when i leave my house now !! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 am 
We have had 6 skimming cases in the last 2 weeks here in South Texas, the account info is being used in Orlando Florida.