There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thomas E. Law, II., this guy is not an attorney in Florida
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm 

LAW AND ASSOCIATES, LLC CLEARWATER FLORIDA

Thomas E. Law, II., so it appears this guy is not an attorney, yet is trying to capitalize on his last name and give the appearance of having the ability to do what he states.was sending out direct mail solicitations to Floridians who were going through the foreclosure process. The company offered foreclosure consulting services, but charged a large up front fee for those services, never followed through on the services, and failed to return monies despite a money back guarantee.

As the whole world knows, Lee County, Florida is leading the nation in foreclosures. The cities in Lee County that are experiencing the highest foreclosure rate are Cape Coral and Lehigh Acres. According to the latest statistics, something like 1 in 86 homes in Lee County are in the foreclosure process, and not much is being done to fix the leak in the dam.

Of course, with every crisis, there will be scam artists who will try to make money from the less fortunate, and there will be those that try to stop the scam artists. The Florida Attorney General, Bill McCollum, recently filed a lawsuit against a business in Clearwater, Florida for the use of unfair and deceptive practices against the public. The company named Law & Associates, LLC was sending out direct mail solicitations to Floridians who were going through the foreclosure process. The company offered foreclosure consulting services, but charged a large up front fee for those services, never followed through on the services, and failed to return monies despite a money back guarantee.

This scam involves the company monitoring the public records for foreclosure filings. Once they obtain the names and addresses of the individuals being foreclosed upon, Law & Associates, LLC immediately starts a direct mail campaign aimed at getting the homeowner to pay the consulting fee. (Interestingly, a search of the Florida Bar’s website reveals that that there is no known member of the Florida Bar listed as Thomas E. Law, II., so it appears this guy is not an attorney, yet is trying to capitalize on his last name and give the appearance of having the ability to do what he states).

Either way, the distressed homeowner is told that they have 72 hours to contact the company and when they do contact the company, they are told that they are eligible for the program, but they have to come up with a consulting fee of $1,500 to $2,000 for the company to take their case.

If the distressed homeowners can come up with the funds, then they must sign a contract which pretty much waives the consumer’s rights to have their money back. To realize the impact of this strategy, you have to realize the vulnerability of the distressed homeowners. These are good people who are desperate to save their homes, and they have probably been around the block several times with their lenders trying to get the mortgage modified or had their payments sent back to them for one reason or another, and they just want some relief.

http://www.mortgagelawnetwork.com/2008/ ... g-service/

Post subject: Re: Thomas E. Law, II., this guy is not an attorney in Flori
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm 

I am a former employee of Law & Associates. I just came across your post on the owner. You sure don't do a lot of homework before blasting somebody do you. I worked in the loss mitigation department of the company negotiating the work out plans for the customers and can tell you a little about it. Law & Associates went out of there way to tell people that they were not attorneys and if he were scamming people what was I doing all day. I saw every day that we helped family's stay in their homes. There were about six of us in the Clearwater office alone and about fifteen people in the Tallahassee office. These were all just negotiators not sales people.

The reason Law & Associates got sued from the AG was the sales manager Jason. Him and his girlfriend were starting up there own business and needed Tom's company out of the way so they could take the people and the leads, so he made fake complaints to the AGs office. There were 72 complaints of those 72, 26 were fake names that left only 46, of the 46, 43 got plans that they did not like. Those plans would have been better if the customers did not lie on the initial inter view and then lie to us when we were putting the packages together for the bank. The remaining 3 people bounced checks and the files were not worked for that reason. Out of the 6,000 files that I personally saw, 46 upset people is 0.007 that is 7 tenths of one percent, that also means that 99.3 percent of customers were happy with the service, HOW IS THAT A SCAM. Geico only has 97% happy customers.

When the investigation started Tom did not know that his manager Jason was the AGs star witness against him and had him putting together all of the documents for the AG. Tom told the whole office what was going on and actually thought it was funny that they were investigating him while he was helping the FBI find scam companies. He told us on our side of the office that he thought when the AG saw all of the good we were doing that it would all just go away. We had thousands of active file and the database showed tens of thousands of records just in the mitigation Que.

The bad press about this company is and was never deserved. anybody that had good things to say, like me, were quickly dismissed. I helped save hundreds of homes just in my time there. The AGs office is not looking for the truth they are trying to hang somebody that actually cared and helped thousands of people. I have been following this case in the public records for the whole time it has been going on, almost 4 years and if they had a case there wouldn't be two notices from the clerks office mailed to the AG for lack of prosecution that tells me they have no case.