ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reader's Service,Danville,CA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:27 am 
A salesman from Reader's Service called me at home and I did order some magazines from the company. I also gave my credit card number and agreed to have the monthly payments taken directly out of my card. I was told at the time that I could cancel at any time if I was not satisfied. In June 2003, I got a copy and confirmation of the order via letter, I was appalled to see that the bill was $1400.00 and some of the magazines on the order I would never read. I am 19 years old and a part time student and would never knowingly spend $1400.00 on magazines. I just do not have that kind of money. At no time did the salesman give me a total amount or tell me I was ordering 5 year subscriptions. At no time did he tell me I could not cancel the order.
At that time I had not recieved any magazines yet and also felt they were a fraudulent company, so their office was called to cancel the total order. Their accounting dept said it was too late to cancel as the company had already paid the magazine companies. Meanwhile a payment of 42.95 was taken directly out of my credit card. They were then told that the credit card would be cancelled if it continued and they stated that they would then garnish wages and send bill collectors my way and also would ruin my credit rating, but absolutely refused to cancel the order. In July their customer service rep called and again they were asked to cancel the order. The representative said that she would and hung up.
In August I started receiving magazines and called the credit card fraud division of my bank. They agreed that this company was fraudulent and cancelled the credit card and offered to get the 42.95 back for me. I decided to let the magizine company have the first payment because I had recieved some magazines at that point, and felt that payment would be fair, but no more.
Since I cancelled my credit card their collection department has been harrassing me, wanting money. One of them told me if I paid them $50.00 they would cancel the order. Another one said said they would cancel if I sent them $90.00. Believe me, they will not get anymore money out of me. They are obviously thiefs and running a scam. I have talked to their accounting department and they refused to cancel my order for any amount of money and say I have to pay them $1400.00 OR ELSE! I have contacted each magazine distributor personally and cancelled all the subscriptions myself. But they won't stop harrassing me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:37 am 

the next step is to contact consumer affairs. if the scam company is in your state, contact your state office. if not, make a federal case out of it. even if the company is legit, they are behaving illegally. they try to intimidate people into believing they have the right to behave that way, but they don't. even if you had signed something saying they could.

if you sign a lease on an apartment saying you can deal cocaine from there, that doesn't make it legal to do so. contracts don't change the law!

call consumer affairs. look them up in the blue pages. they are usually associated with the state attorney general, but federal i don't know. the state office can help you go federal though.

good luck.

Post subject: Too little too late
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:11 pm 

You are probalbly done with your ordeal. There is a policy in your applicaton that allows you to dispute credit card transactions. Resulting in a chargeback to their merchant account. You would only be allowed to be liable for 50 dollars of unauthourized charges to your credit card..........

Thank You......im here till 9......try the veil

I raise Hell.........