There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: she married my dad and robbed him blind
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:42 pm 
:?:

My father in law married woman from Brazil and she convinced him to sell the home he owned for 40 years and move to Rio de Janiro. They bought a property there and put the rest of the money in various bank accounts. After living there a few months money was depleted from three bank accounts. A few months later more money disappeared. Just last month we could not reach them the phone was disconnected. Today we received a call from my father in law to say he was deathly ill for many days and only now was able to call with the help of the Brazilian police because his phone was disconnected, the electricity was turned off, the house was stripped of any personal or identification items of his wife and she had disappeared and hasn't been seen for many days. Upon checking the banks with the remaining money, he was notified that all his money was withdrawn over the previous days. He thinks he was poisoned.

Is there anything I can do for him? Is there a law to protect him? He is a Dutch (Holland, Netherlands) citizen and was a US resident and was married in the US. Is this a potential case of fraud? Is it fraud when a spouse depletes the finances and runs away?

I appreciate any knowledge any of you can provide. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:24 pm 
Gold Member

well, this certanly is a sad story!
I would check with the FBI to see where to go with this. Also the US Embassy and the Brazillian Embassy to see which agency in that counry might help you.
Interpol might be another resource for you.
Perhaps another member or two has more suggestions.
Good luck to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:58 am 

Guest-
Your dad has been taken by the "sweetheart scam" - please do a google search and you will find several postings about such scams- here is one article I found
http://www.geocities.com/s_o_s_elderabuse/
They prey on the elderly and yes, it is devistating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:12 am 

Annie McGuire at http://www.fraudaid works with Sweetheart scams ask her to help you out with this one. Sweetie press charges on her if you can with the Brazilian police and get yourself tested ASAP for any remnents of a poison before it is gone from your body entirely.