There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samuel Porter - Harley Motorcycle Scam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:59 am 

Hello,

I just wanted to alert people that I was notified by a Samuel Porter on Craigslist that he had a 2004 Harley motorcycle for sale. This is indeed a scam and he tried using Ebay as a means to authenticate his transaction. He asked for a money wire transfer. Here is the email I had below from him:

Gabriel,

Thanks for the details and I appreciate your business. I confirm that the bike is in a perfect cosmetic and engine conditions, meticulously maintained. You will not need to spend a cent on this bike. It will be insured during the transportation for the amount of $4,995. If something happens on the road, you will receive the insurance from the delivery service.

I have registered the deal with eBay by passing the provided info and they confirmed that the transaction has been started. So the deal is ON. At this point the bike is reserved 48 hours, time for you to provide payment and to be the guaranteed buyer. As soon as eBay will confirm that you have sent the payment, the bike is delivered direct to your residence no later than 3 days. Please let me know as soon as you get this done so I can organize the delivery of the bike.

I look forward to making this transaction.
Samuel
PS. I have attached some pics, but due to my low photography level, the bike is much better than the picture.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Gabriel wrote:

Samuel,

Just to confirm, there isn't any huge problems with the bike are there? Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

--- On Tue, 9/29/09, Samuel Porter <sor379@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: 2004 Harley
To: "Gabriel"
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 11:31 PM

Gabriel, I certainly do not mean to imply any mistrust whatsoever and I am most confident that both parties are of the up most calibers. The total price for the bike is $4,995 and the shipping cost to your residence is included in the total price. The bike is ready to be shipped, as I am looking to sell it in a timely manner for my investment and at this price it’s not going to last on the market for long time. As soon as you have the funds available and want to buy it just send me your accurate shipping address in order to initiate the deal with eBay. They will provide you further instructions/ information.

Thanks, Samuel

Gabriel wrote:

Samuel,

My full name is Gabriel I am registered on ebay as the following username:

Feel free to take a look. I have 100 transactions with around a 99% positive feedback rating.

Yes, I am interested, but I can easily come by any time to take a look as I live in Chicago. So, if you want, you won't have to pay for shipping. I too, would like to make the deal as quick as possible, but I would need to know that you are legitimate too.

Just let me know how you would like to proceed and I will be sure to contact you promptly.

Gabriel

--- On Tue, 9/29/09, Samuel Porter <sor379@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: 2004 Harley
To: "Gabriel"
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 7:47 PM

Hello Gabriel, The bike is still available and the total price for 2004 Harley-Davidson Softail FLSTF Fat Boy is $4,995 USD, shipping included. I’m located in Chicago, IL and the bike has 3,650 miles. It’s in excellent plus overall condition, very clean and well kept. Drives, Looks and Runs Great. I do not use it enough to justify keeping it. I have driven it once in the last two months. I hate to sell this bike but I need money. CLEAN TITLE AND READY, so the transfer of both title and bike will provide a smooth transaction.

I’ll use eBay to finalize our deal, because it protects both buyer and seller - they keep your money until you get/test drive the bike. You'll be given 7 days to inspect it and I get paid after you make sure everything is as agreed. If you don’t like the bike, no question asked, the payment is 100% refunded by eBay and I will ship it back on my costs. I'm sure it won't be the case because it's a state of art looking and working bike. I trust this will meet with your approval as it does not expose you to any potential financial loss.

Believe me, I am literally overwhelmed by the number of offers I received for this bike, so if you wish to purchase it, please forward me your full name and the accurate shipping address to register the deal with eBay. No offense, but I need to be sure that the person who receives the bike is verified by a reputable entity like eBay. If eBay will accept you as a buyer, they will send you further instructions/ information. Let me know ASAP, so I can set up all the things on my end.
Thanks, Samuel Porter

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Gabriel wrote:

Hi,

I am interested in this offer. Where are you located (for pickup reasons)? Also, is there a good time to see it?

Gabriel