ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! I JUST FOUND OUT I WAS A VICTIM THE CHECK LOOKED REAL
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 pm 

I just discovered that I was a victim. My bank called me about a check that I had deposited into my account. They hold it for two days to make sure it clears. I deposited the check on 3/20 and the called me tonight to tell me that the check was flagged for fraud meaning it was not real. It looked like a normal check you would get from a company, I answered an ad on craigslist for a personal assistant and even talked to the person but they said they were out of town. this is the email they sent me: my account is now negative 3,000 dollars I did not spend any of the money or withdrawl anything from the account. I have no idea what to do, I am going to my bank in the morning but I am scared to death I will be in trouble, thats alot of money and I dont know what I am going to do. Who should I contact? I am only 26 it seemed like the real deal and like I said I talked to him several times. I have kept all the emails that he sent me and I responded to, as well as the phone calls. what is my next step aside from trying to figure all this out with my bank?

Hello,

I just received an email from Craigslist that you are interested in the job.I am replying you back this job offer,because i really needed someone urgently to start working for me as my personal assistant.I'm looking for someone who can handle my personal and business errands Someone who can offer me these services:

1. Mailing services
2. Receive my mails and drop them off at UPS office
3. Shop for Gifts
4. Bill payment (pay my bills on my behalf)
5. Sit for delivery (at your home) or
6. Pick items up at nearby post office at your convenience

Let me know if you will be able to offer me any/all of these services and also inform me where are you located? I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on a business trip. I am in Australia so there will be no interview. I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience. When you get my mails/packages, you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to, depending on my location. You don't have to put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your house and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content if you so desire. The content of the packages would usually be Art Material and Painting, clothing, business and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work between 15 and 20hrs a Weekly. I am willing to pay you $400.00. That is not a bad offer is it? However, it is still negotiable. I need your service because I am constantly out of town. I own an Art Gallery here in Australia. I will return to USA in May,so this process will be on going till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term. Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position.I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy package is involved. You can do the shopping at any nearest store. You will mostly be shopping for Electronics and clothing but other items can be included as well.I will provide you with my personal UPS account number for Shipping. All you have to do is provide my account number to UPS and shipping charges will be applied to the account and I will also provide clear set of instructions for each
task I need done as well as the funds to cover them.I would be sending you a cheque for you to do and pay for my shopping plus upfront payment for your service, so kindly send me the below details as to how to get the cheque across to you.Kindly provide me with the following details:

Full Name As Should Appear On the Cheque:
Full Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
Fill the Application and E-mail It back to get started Asap!!!
NB: You can give me a call on my Australia number or my US number which is roam to Australia

Tel: +1(903 923-5349 USA
Tel +1 (904) 290-3923 USA ONLY TEXT
Tel: +03) 9205 6699 Australia
Regards,
Alan Bowen

Post subject: Re: HELP! I JUST FOUND OUT I WAS A VICTIM THE CHECK LOOKED R
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:52 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

justrena911 wrote:
I just discovered that I was a victim. My bank called me about a check that I had deposited into my account. They hold it for two days to make sure it clears. I deposited the check on 3/20 and the called me tonight to tell me that the check was flagged for fraud meaning it was not real. It looked like a normal check you would get from a company, I answered an ad on craigslist for a personal assistant and even talked to the person but they said they were out of town. this is the email they sent me: my account is now negative 3,000 dollars I did not spend any of the money or withdrawl anything from the account. I have no idea what to do, I am going to my bank in the morning but I am scared to death I will be in trouble, thats alot of money and I dont know what I am going to do. Who should I contact? I am only 26 it seemed like the real deal and like I said I talked to him several times. I have kept all the emails that he sent me and I responded to, as well as the phone calls. what is my next step aside from trying to figure all this out with my bank?

Here is a list of places to report the scam

http://scamvictimsunited.com/Reporting_scams.htm

This is what I am trying to understand . . . you said
Quote:
my account is now negative 3,000 dollars I did not spend any of the money or withdrawl anything from the account.

If you did not spend ANY of the money or withdraw it, then once they removed the amount of the check from your account it should just go back to what it was before you deposited the check . . . if the check was for $3,000 and you did not take any money out, then they just take the $3,000 back out and you are back where you started . . . what did I miss here?

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch