ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heartless Pet Scam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:54 pm 

I didn't get taken in by this one but apparently it's pretty common. The scenario:

I needed to find a new home for my late sister's ferrets. (I foster feral cats that look on anything in the Mustilidae family as a light snack). I advertised them on Petfinder, a reputable animal rescue site and immediately received a poorly spelled email wanting to buy my "lovely ferrets." The writer didn't ask anything about age, health or temperament. Better yet, a couple of days later I got an almost identical request from another prospective purchaser. In each case the buyer was out of town but had a relationship with a trusted pet shipper and would gladly pay full asking price plus airfare for animals they'd never met, and all for the pleasure of adopting a couple of animals that fetch around $50 max at the local pet store. (For reference, it cost around $300 for airfare for each of my cats when I moved last year).

Obviously this stunk worse than the ferrets (their name in Latin actually means "weasel-like stinky thief" due to their, erm, active scent glands). I did a little checking and it turns out that the heartless scam in play here is that the pet owner delivers little Muffins or Fluffy to the pet shipper who suddenly discovers that additional fees are required or the shipper will have no option but to abandon the pet. The stories I heard suggested that $1000 was about the usual tariff, and even then the animal was often not returned.

Post subject: Re: Heartless Pet Scam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 pm 

Thank you so much Lily for sharing this. I had not heard of this type of pet scam before.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php