ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thailand Scam?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:27 am 

I run a pitbull club and was sent the following correspondence. I would like to know if it's a scam or how to even check on a company it Thailand. Thank you.
email:

Hello,

I want to make a one-time non cash donation to a private organization
who may need a vehicle for transportation or a veterinary technician who may
need the tools given below.

I am offering to give away 1 pre-owned GMC Van 2006 model and the
veterinary equipments below.

1 Ultrasound
1 Medical Lighting
1 Autoclave
1 Monitor
2 veterinary tables & Tubs.

I am making this donations because I own a small private animal clinic
and preparing to pursue my studies in (Animal Transgenesis and Germ Cell
Research).

Are you familiar with these veterinary tools? give me a detailed
information about your work and why you need the vehicle or the
equipments listed above.

Sincerely,

Lucy Leigh
(Dr.Vet.Med).
Tel: 668-456-055-91.

Dear Lucy,
I started the Poplar Bluff Pit Club because of my passion for animals. What I've learned over the last few months is that Poplar Bluff needs a rescue shelter more than a Pit Club. A van would really help me out right now. I currently have several abused dogs that need to be picked up, and no way to get them all in the car. I am finding multiple pitbulls that need new families. Having a vehicle that would hold more than 1 dog at a time would be a blessing. We do not have enough transportation to haul the dogs to the vet without making several costly trips. I am not very experienced with the veterinary equipment you listed, and have no formal vet training. I am a dog trainer, and my plan is to rehabilitate these abused dogs and find them loving and acceptable families. Other animal shelters in this area will euthanize a pitbull instead of trying to save them, which i believe is cruel and unnecessary. As the owner of two pitbulls, who are well trained and socialized I simply cannot stand idle and watch their suffering. If chosen for your donation, I will use the vehicle (and equipment) for saving the lives of dogs in this area, and it would allow me to effectively help more dogs find good homes and get the care they desperately need.
V/r,
Amber Markham
Founder
Poplar Bluff Pit Club

Then she contacted me via a different email address and resumed this correspondence:

I applaud the good work you do for a non-profit cause, the veterinary table and tubs has been donated to a small animal center, but the Ultrasound and the Suv Van are available for donation and I am happy that you will use the Van in good faith. The running condition of the car is very good and the model is 2006 GMC Savanna 3/4 ton cargo van with 2500 Duramax Diesel engine. I am donating these because I own a small private animal hospital and currently preparing to pursue my studies in (Animal Transgenesis and Germ Cell Research). The Van will be shipped to your location and I will give you the contact information of the carriers and you deal with them directly, all I need to do is check in the van for shipping to your location. Get back to me for shipping arrangement and do click on the website below to visit me.

Have a nice day,

Lucy Leigh
(Dr.Vet.Med.)
Tel: 66-845-605-591
http://www.zyworld.com/lucyleigh1/Page3.htm

Dear Lucy,
Thank you so very much for your generous donation! My home address is :
Amber Markham
625 Abbott St.
Poplar Bluff MO 63901
Is there shipping charges that I am required to pay when I pick up the vehicle? Please send the shipping arrangements to this email address. Thank you again!

V/r,
Amber Markham

Amber!

I just got off the phone with the carriers and was told that it would cost you $1750 to get the van delivered to your location. Would you like to contact the carriers and deal with them directly? I can pass on their Info.

Have a nice day,
Lucy Leigh
(Dr.Vet.Med.)

Lucy,
I would be happy to deal with them. Please send their contact info. Thanks!

V/r,
Amber

Here is the information of the shipping company.

Firstgate Shipping Company
Information & Logistics.
Tel - 66-845-267-543.
Fax - 66-256-619-41.
info@firstgateshipping.com

Would you like me to send pictures of the van? I think itnis important to see what you are getting.

Have a nice day,

Lucy Leigh
(Dr.Vet.Med.)

Yes, please send pictures, if you have them of the inside and outside so I can see how the van is set up. Thank you!

V/r,
Amber Markham
Poplar Bluff Pit Club

Attached below is the pictures of the van, do get back to confirm that you received the attached pictures of the van.

Have a nice day,

Lucy Leigh.
DVM.

4 attachments — Download all attachments View all images
GM INTERIOR.bmp
550K View Download
GMC INTERIOR1.1.bmp
550K View Download
GMC ROOF.bmp
550K View Download
GMC SAVANA.bmp
550K View Download

Thank you Lucy, I did receive the pictures.

V/r,
Amber Markham
Poplar Bluff Pit Club

TO FIRSTGATE SHIPPING'S EMAIL ADDRESS:

Hello,
I need the information for a donation from The Lucy Animal Hospital to the Poplar Bluff Pit Club. It's a 2006 GMC Savana 2500 Duramax Diesel cargo van. When will it be arriving? I was told it was being shipped to my address. Thank you,

V/r,
Amber Markham
Poplar Bluff Pit Club

FirstGate Shipping Company
9th floor, Firstgate Building.
122 Rama 3 Road,Bangkok 10120,Thailand.
Tel - 66-845-267-543.
Fax - 66-256-619-41.
info@firstgateshipping.com
http://www.firstgateshipping.com

BUSINESS HOURS:
Monday through Friday
(8 AM to 7 PM).
Saturday - (8 AM to Noon).
Sunday - Closed

Dear Amber Markham,

This secure email confirms the receipt of your shipping inquiry, please be informed that we do not have any request for shipping of a van to your location, the lucy animal hospital only made a shipping cost inquiry to your location.
In order to provide you with accurate shipping information , we would need the full address information of your location.

Yours in service,

Nucharee Rungjang.
Customer Service Manager
Logistics/Information.
CC:logistics@firstgateshipping.com

AFTER I GAVE THEM THE FULL ADDRESS THEY SENT ME THIS EMAIL:

<br /><strong><u>FIRSTGATE SHIPPING COMPANY</u></strong><br />9th floor, Firstgate Building.<br />122 Rama 3 Road,Bangkok 10120,Thailand.<br />Tel - 66-845-267-543.<br />Fax - 66-256-619-41.<br /><font color="#0000ff">info@firstgateshipping.com<br />www.firstgateshipping.com</font><br /><br /><strong><u>BUSINESS HOURS:</u></strong><br />Monday through Friday<br />(8 AM to 7 PM).<br />Saturday - (8 AM to Noon).<br />Sunday - Closed<br /><br />Dear Amber Markham,<br /><br />This secure email confirms your inquiry for shipping a GMC Van from Bangkok,<br />Thailand to 625 Abbott St. Poplar Bluff, MO 63901. It takes 2 weeks to get the<br />shipment delivered to your location and we offer safe, reliable, and professional auto<br />shipping services, in today's global economy international shipping and moving has become part of mainstream. Relocating overseas means you need to choose a shipping company with knowledge, experience and an established global network. Moving International is what we specialize in, all types of cargo can be shipped with us. The cost of shipping and handling is $1750.<br /><br /><strong><u>GUIDE TO SHIPPING YOUR VEHICLE WITH FIRSTGATE SHIPPING COMPANY</u></strong><br /><br />From origin to destination, Firstgate Shipping Company takes care of your vehicle<br />shipment every step of the way.<br /><br /><strong><u>_ SURVEY:_</u></strong><br /><br />The start of our engagement with you begins with a complete survey of the vehicle. The<br />survey is done so both parties are aware of the condition of the vehicle at origin. Our<br />qualified surveyors generally take five minutes to complete the process. The shipper can<br />drop off the van for survey and we can store the van until shipped to your location,<br />paper works such receipts, vehicle condition and identification report is sent to you by<br />fax prior to shipping.<br /><br /><strong><u>_ REQUIREMENTS FOR SHIPPING._</u></strong><br /><br />A) Complete shipper's detail, full name, address, telephone number ,passport number or<br />TAX ID number , Certificate of Title.<br />B) Complete consignee's detail, full name, address, telephone number, passport number or TAX ID number.<br /><br />We accept payment by bank wire only.<br /><br />Thank you for your inquiry and we look forward to being of good service.<br /><br />Yours in service,<br /><br />Nucharee Rungjang.<br /><strong><u>Customer Service Manager</u></strong><br />Logistics/Information.<br />CC:<font color="#0000ff">logistics@firstgateshipping.com</font

I DID NOT REALIZE THE ADDRESS WAS OVERSEAS PRIOR TO GIVING THEM MY ADDRESS, AND THE BANK WIRE ONLY SOUNDS FISHY TO ME. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS. THANKS!

Post subject: Re: Thailand Scam?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 am 

Ok, as soon as I checked the spam for my pit club email I had gotten 2 more of the same initial letters, this has to be a scam.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:40 pm 

This is DEFINATELY a scam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 am 

I just want to let you know that I too have been picked up on this scam. I have stopped the correspondence now I have found your reference to exactly the same process. The worst thing is this email was sent to a large and highly active animal welfare organisation that helps animals of Greece. This welfare organisation posted the email on to me, I run a small cat welfare organisation on CRETE, Greece. It would have been a terrible blow to my organisation if I had attempted to follow this through and lost so much money.

Ginny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:02 am 

Hi there, we run a Uk based registered parrot rescue charity & had the exact same emails regarding the GMC van a few days ago! Just goes to show that there are scum out there who will even resort to trying to rip off charities!!??
Remember the saying "if something sounds too good to be true - it probably is!"
Jess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:02 am 

Hello:

I am the CEO of a Diagnostic Ultrasound Company that also has had similar correspondence.
I thought it would be a good chance to be able to pass on the equipment to a animal shelter or facility of that type.
I did not pursue as far as some, I just started Googling for this scam and this site came right on up. Thanks for being here.

----------------------------------------The first email--------------------------------------------

Hi,

I am Dr. Jennifer Allen ( Veterinary Medicine), I own a veterinary Service where I practice both exotic and companion animal medicine.

We are looking to donate some pre-used items in our clinic as we have recently acquired new medical supplies and a new mobile van and now offering to donate a pre-used " all purpose" mobile van and the veterinary equipment below.

1 Ultrasound
1 Autoclave

Are you familiar with these? Let me know if these contributions Would be beneficial to your work?.

Regards,

Dr. Jennifer Allen
D.V.M.,Veterinary Medicine.

--------------------------------I replied -------------------------------------
Hello Dr. Allen:

I am sure we could find a good home for the equipment you want to donate. Just let us know the model of the Ultrasound if you can
and which probes are on it.

Thank you, we will try to see that your equipment is put in needing hands.

Best regards,
signed me / name / Address / phone / email and so on

------------------------------her next email -----------------------------------
Dr Jennifer Allen. Veterinary Medicine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My apologies for not getting back to you sooner as the daily activities have kept us very busy here at the clinic, your efforts for a good cause is very much applauded and I encourage you to keep it up. The ultrasound, autoclave and the mobile are all available in good working condition and the ultrasound is a 100) DEMO Acuson Cypress PLUS portable diagnostic echo ultrasound units that include: * Revison 20 software * Color Doppler * Stress Echo * Harmonic Imaging * PW/CW Doppler * Cardiac/Vascular/Abdomen. It comes with 4 probes, the probes are an E8C-RS Vaginal Probe, 8L-RS Vascular Probe, 3S-RS Cardiac Probe, and a 3C-RS Probe. This item will also come with a carrying case for this system that is hand-carried convenience.
>
> The model of the autoclave is the Sanyo Personal Series Portable Autoclave, Sanyo MLS-3780 and comes with two stainless steel baskets.
>
> The mobile van is a 2006 model of GMC Savanna 3/4 ton cargo van with 2500 Duramax Diesel engine. The mobile van is compatible to US roads and standards as the van was originally built and designed for the US market and then sold to Asian market with a drive permission.
>
> Please confirm again if you are interested in a particular item or all the items?
>
> Shipping is feasible but I would need the complete information of your location to check on the logistics of shipping.
>
> Click on the website below my signature to visit me.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Dr. Jennifer Allen
> D.V.M.,Veterinary Medicine.
> Tel/Fax - 66-2-216-3730
> http://www.zyworld.com/vetcare2/Home.htm

-----------------------Her website works, but has only had 380 something visitors-------------------------

-----------------------My next reply-------------------------
Hello Dr. Allen:

The probes you are describing on the Acuson Cypress Plus are not the probes that work with the Acuson Cypress. They are GE probes, used on something like a GE Logiq e or Logiq i. Please confirm which system you have. Perhaps you just have the Cypress console and then have some extra GE probes?

It will be easy enough to ship the ultrasound to us and most likely the autoclave.

However, I am not sure what it would cost to ship the van to us.

At the moment, we could start with the ultrasound and the autoclave.

Let us know how you wish to proceed.

Best regards,

signed me / name / Address / phone / email and so on

---------------------Her last Reply--------------------------

Hi "my name"

Yes I have the Cypress console and some extra GE probes, I am happy to know that these contributions would be put to a good use. I have just looked into shipping to your location and was told that it would cost you $1750 to have the van and medical supplies shipped to your location.

Would you like to see pictures of the van and medical supplies?

How would you like to proceed with shipping ? Would you like to contact the shipping company and deal with them directly? I can pass on their info.

Regards,

Dr. Jennifer Allen.

-----------------------------------I have not emailed any more---------------------------------

At first I looked at Snopes2 but this scam was not listed. Then I just Google'd it and this site came up. I ship internationally and cost of the shipment was way too low #1. #2. her website had only had 384 some odd visitors. Not
many for someone getting ready to give a way this dollar amount of equipment.

#3. When it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is. The country has a very high rate in credit card fraud and like a writer before me, it all felt way too easy, which felt way too fishy.

Thank you for having the site up, at least you were here for me to verify my gut feeling. They are getting better and better at scams.

Peace to all!