ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! *your kids could be caught in a scam!*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:25 am 
HELP! maybe someone can help me with some ideas or legal advice on this matter.
here's what happend:
My 16 year old little brother was a victim in a scam here is how it went:
he met two older kids in the 20's a boy and a girl . they befriended my little brother and one day they asked him to cash a check against his account for him (note: my brother did not have a "checking account" he had a savings account with 10$ in it) my brother agreed to try to help them out but stated that he wasn't sure if the bank would cash there check for them, but supprising enough they did. this happend a few more times that month first check was for 30.00 dollars the 2nd was for 200.00 the third was 500.00 untill it eventually grew to 3000.00 dollars in BOUNCED checks. by that time the two 20 year old who were now nowhere to be found had left the county and left my brother with an account statement of -3010.00 which now the bank says he is responsible for.
what do you think he should do?!
any ideas?
[/b]

Post subject: more info
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:24 am 
Gold Member

I feel like there is alot that isn't being said here. How often was he cashing these checks? Who said they are out of the country? How long did he know these people? Is he just facing liability with the bank, or are the police involved? On what level are the police involved? I know it is not enough money for anyone on a federal level to get involved with, but who knows about it? Have you contacted an attorney? How would the fact that he is only 16 help your case?

It is really difficult to offer any sort of advice with the information given. Please help us help you by providing more.

txbelle

-- -- Washington Irving

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:59 pm 
he was cashing the checks about 3-4 times a week. he knew them for a few months. he is facing liability at the moment and we contacted the district attorney and we were advised before going to the cops to meet with the bank manager and explain our situatuion and then to file a report with the police. and thats about all i know right now
when i get some more info ill post it
thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:18 pm 
Gold Member

when you do so, will try to offer assistance, but will admit that this is well outside any area of expertise I might even aspire to have...

in the meantime, good luck...and feel free to keep us posted.

txbelle

-- -- Washington Irving

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:24 pm 

did your parents know he was cashing these checks?

i hope he gets some assistance from his bank, and i really hope the cops catch the cons.

i'm really surprised the bank didn't get suspicious. and that the checks didn't start getting returned before the whole con ended.

what role did your parents play in the account setup? the bank knew he was underage, yet they cashed that many checks that he couldn't cover?

he learned a very important lesson. i think the bank should share in the cost of this one. the teenager learned a very harsh lesson, one that he shouldn't have had to learn the hard way. the bank should learn their lesson, as well!

the fact that they did that kind of business with an underage person could be very embarrassing to them! so he could let them know that he will report their lack of common sense in dealing with a teenager to the banking commission and the attorney general, and then start alerting the media until they make reasonable arrangements to help the kid fix this, and admit they were partly to blame and should have been more careful in this matter.

i could be wrong, and i don't have all the facts, but that makes sense to me.