ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remailer scam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:44 pm 

This is what I posted on a dating site in hopes of helping others avoid what could be costly. If it is already in the forums I did not see yet and would be more then willing to have moved to it or move it myself

I could not read all the posting to this subject. So will just say what I have to say and be done with it. I have been looking at online dating for almost 5 months and only met people from pof, but sad to say no click so no chick. Ya that was bad but I can be bad.
Of other sites paid and free and have had winks, flirts, and emails sent to me. But when I respond It's like they never heard of me or just don't reply. The ones that contacted me and did respond back to me were cons looking to milk some money out of me. I found this amusing at 1st then got annoying because that is all I seamed to attract. I started reporting them as each one started asking for help {money} one way or another. Some were almost believable but I am 50 years old and not living in a dream world think someone in their 20 would have much to do with me. Most said they lived in the USA but ended up stuck in Africa. To think that people fell for the story's is a little hard to believe.
But then some people are that lonely they reach for something that is not there to be had. Preyed on by others looking to make a buck. I even put in my profile if you are in Africa do not contact me. They don't read profiles they just click on mail and paste a message that they send to as many accounts as they can with a yahoo email contact to add to messenger. And then the fun starts with getting to know you and then they say they love you. All with in one or two chats. You would think middle age men would catch on to the fact they are chatting with a 20 something female. And they more then likely are not female, just some dude scamming for money.
There are many types of cons going on with online dating. One is the remailer. It starts out like any other contact but instead of money you become a middle man to remail goods bought online with stolen credit info and delivered to you. You think maybe this person is real because they do not ask for money. After a short while they say they are taking a trip to say England from where they live in the USA and would like to come visit you on the return trip. So when they are in England they tell you they need to order something and could you take delivery of it and they will take care of it when they come for their visit. Now I already know they are a con because 1st the flight from NY to London only took 4 hours and they texted you when the got there. I have flown there twice it takes 6 hours plus check in time and time to clear customs and immigration. Now since 911 I think it would take at least 8 hours not 4. Not saying anything I just let it ride and replied to the text message. The number that displayed did not have the UK country code for phone number. I checked where it came from and it was Ghana. A well known online dating con area. From there I went back and did searches on her name and phone number she had given me, but told me was shut down while she traveled. Found her address but phone number was from another city about an hour away.
At this point most people would walk away. But not me, I wanted to see where this led to. So I agreed to having something shipped to me and send yes that I would remail the package. Never guess what country it was going too. Yes Ghana it is. A printer worth about $100.00 Canadian was coating $187.32 to mail to Ghana paid online with a credit card. So I contacted where printer was bought and told them what was going on. They were no help except to say if I reported to police then police could contact them and get any info they had but they would not tell me anything. So I called police and went down next day to file the report hoping that they could catch the con artist. Filled out report and showed it to desk. I even trace another guy down that was being coned and had already sent 1 package to Ghana. I had all the info shipping documents and contact info for the con and all the search info I had found out so far. Now Ottawa police being so helpful and at there best said I could not prove there was a crime. Well that did not set to well with me and things got a little heated. I left leaving every thing at the desk. Sat down at my computer and researched every thing I could about this con. Something like $240,000,000.00 was defrauded from credit card company's in 2006 with this type of scam. Some people caught in this remail scam were charged with some charge or other and all they did was get coned by a pretty face. Found out there are a few ways of reporting this. Phonebuster and recol are 2 Canadian site that take your info and pass it on to R.C.M.P. and the opp. In the states it's ic3.gov who report to if not a part of the FBI.
Once that is done it's a hurry up and wait thing. Still waiting and have 2 printers 2 ink packages and 1 cell phone that I was to mail to Ghana. So how do you catch a con if police either don't see the crime or don't respond in a timely manner. Called mounties and was told had to wait until someone got to my report. Contact Ottawa police and tried to find out what was happening to report I made. There was nothing on file, but I did have the name of the guy who took my paper work and was put into contact with his sgt. He seamed to think it funny no report had been file either and it had been 10 days sense I tried to report it. Said he would talk to the officer and see why not. He did make a call to the fraud guy but they too said needed more info, and the sgt thought there was no crime either. So I am upset yes. But bite my lip and ask him nicely to please to 5 minutes of his time and google remailer
But he was sure there was no crime. So I'm fit to be tied but don't let lose on him but inform him that I was going to talk to the papers and see if they think there is a crime here. He said something like what ever. So yes contacted the Ottawa sun who I had to call before about a crack dealer dealing drugs out his window 30 feet away from my daughters window and police did nothing. They did a story then and they are doing another one now about this crime that Ottawa police don't think is a crime. I was emailed from report with a phone number to another sgt that would take my report this time. Funny how when a paper ask them something they can reply and do something. He even told reporter about phonebusters, but I already know about them. I just wanted to be sure something was being done now. This con artist has had a profile on site for 2 years and if it has been used for that 2 years how many people did they hurt with remailing and ident theft. How much money was lost. I know of one person who got stung badly at that too. 3 credit cards were issued to his name he did not apply for and an online account set up at a internet store. He had same problem with Toronto police but was able to file a report with the OPP. If I had not found him and told him what was going on he would surely be hurt by what had happened. He was lucky and was able to put a stop to the card and the account before it was up into the thousands of dollars.
Moral of the story if it's online don't trust and protect you heart and you wallet.
And don't take no from the police. Push them to do something and maybe educate them as to what their job is. I did not make any friends there this week.

Daaa you think