ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TheBookCellar.com
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:49 am 

I wanted to warn everyone about this fake online store.

http://www.thebookcellar.com

I ordered a rare out of print book for 44.95 from the site with my credit card. About a week later I received an email telling me that the book I ordered was out of stock, and so my credit card would not be billed. When I got my credit card statement, the charge appeared on the bill. I attempted to contact the site but never received a response. I then noticed that the site didn't even provide a telephone number to call.

Luckily, my credit card company was very helpful; I sent in a copy of the email saying that my credit card shouldn't have been billed and my account has been credited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:09 am 

I don't know that you should call them fake because they backordered a book and then charged you for it. While that is definately not the way to do business, it doesn' t mean they purposely attempted to defraud you. Sounds more like a system glich.

Also, a lot of middle men businesse - such as book resellers - don't have a customer service department. They are set up as a truly internet only business. I have had some unpleasant, but not fraudelent, experiences with book sellers in the past year - and get this, I found them on Amazon.

Be careful of restocking fees too. I didn't read the small print and when the books weren't in the condition stated, I lost 35% in restocking fees. They didn't have a phone either - and the email only was a bit frustrating.

I am learning to really look through the site and read the terms before I buy. I am glad that you got your money back and all ended well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:51 pm 

Yes, beware thebookcellar.com. This same thing happend to me twice this month. I ordered two rare, oop titles and I received two emails stating that the items weren't in stock and my card wouldn't be charged. Yet, it was ... both times. I emailed them back polite requests that they investigate the situation and let me know what was happening. No response. I found their phone number, but to was disconnected. I'm now filing a dispute with my credit card company. Beware the Book Cellar in MA!!! The identically named store in Chicago is apparantly reputable, though.

Post subject: Regarding thebookcellar.com
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 pm 

Thebookcellar.com is a scam. It is a scam that steals from both the buyer and seller. I am a bookseller and registered with thebookcellar.com. After uploading my inventory, I received orders and diligently shipped them. After two months I started sending email asking for my first check. I never received a reply. I wrote to the Attorney General's office for Massachusetts to report this scam. I received a reply from the Consumer Affairs office of the Attorney General for State of Massachusetts. They replied that they were investigating thebookcellar.com but that they had limited resources.

Horace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:50 am 

The company is supposedly in the united states yet the registrant is in the kayman islands hmmmm something here smells fishy.

Kayman islands is a good place to hide money without the US having powers to take it back.

I have seen many scams come out of that and other such areas be VERY leary of anyone who is a registrant on a site with a US address for contact information but the site itself is registered by someone out of the country.

Registrant:
Name Administration Inc. (BVI)
Box 10518 A.P.O.
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands B.W.I.
KY

Domain name: BOOKCELLAR.COM

Administrative Contact:
Domain, Administrator
Box 10518 A.P.O.
KY
+1.345.946.6879
Technical Contact:
Domain, Administrator
Box 10518 A.P.O.
KY
+1.345.946.6879

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:37 am 

According to findings on google earth the building at the boston address appears to be an office park or retail store fronts. That still does not mean it is a legitimate business , these places will rent to anyone who says they have a business and can pay the deposit and rent and sign a lease.

The scammer could also be using an address they pulled out of a phone book random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:39 am 

aHHHHHHA get aload of this, they are using a legitimate businesses address but that business is not bookcellar it is the company listed below.

Bustonian
357 Commercial St Ste 812
Boston, MA 02110
(866) 462-8746

Further research shows the Bustonian is a party bus service in Boston.

So there you have it all in a nutshell. Gotta love google

There are several things you can do with a site that does not provide proper contact information.

1. do a domain whois all registrant information if not blocked will be posted

2. Do an ip trace through traceroute

3. Type the address in google and see where it leads then hit google earth to locate the building.

4. pay attention to things like an american address but a foreign registrant. * FLAG *

all this information if gathered into a nice neat little package can help AG's offices.