There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: emails "from" paypal or banks used to steal your m
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:55 pm 

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1068233,00.asp
paypal has warnings of such things. every time i receive money, i see the warning on the email. now, it looks like they are targeting other banks.

Post subject: Authorize.net
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:48 pm 

we got an email a while ago from supposedly authorize.net however on guard at this point because I was just scammed and arrested for being scammed, I read it REAL carefully.

1. The preceeding paragraph asking for information specifically stated that if you do not respond to this email within 24 hrs your credit card will be frozen during 10 day.

Notice the terminology here ...... can we say these scumbags need to practice english a wee bit better.

2. the return email address was abuses@authorizenet.com

IT IS abuse@authorize.net

3. Authorize.net is a merchant account company that takes credit card payments for online stores they DO not issue credit cards.

WHAT LAMERS !!!!!!

Just an example of another scam going around , also beware of ones out of citibank and bank of america that I have seen circulated to friends they ask for your debit/atm card number and pin number , claiming they had a security breach and threatening to cut off your card if you do not respond in a specified period of time.

Post subject: BEWARE of CitiBank Scam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:17 pm 

Dear Citibank Member,

This email was sent by the Citibank server to verify your e-mail
address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
below and entering in the small window your Citibank ATM/Debit
Card number and PIN that you use on ATM.
This is done for your protection -- because some of our members
no longer have access to their email addresses and we must
verify it.

To verify your e-mail address and access your bank account,
click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the
link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address
bar of your web browser.

http://www.citibank.com:ac-MZyEombTrtH2 ... LFcZaTMahq

---------------------------------------------
Thank you for using Citibank!
---------------------------------------------

This automatic email sent to: jeff_allen_31302@yahoo.com
Do not reply to this email.

R_CODE: zFDt7V0ap0YOn05rN6HR

Post subject: *ALERT* Authorize.net SCAM Emails Going Around
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:29 pm 

Attention! In our global system of monitoring there was a technical failure.
In avoidance of frauds with your credit card enter the full data for authorization, otherwise your credit card will be frozen during 10 day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First name:

Last name:

Date of Birth

SSN:

MMN:

Alternative password:

max 8 char.
Full Name on Credit Card:

Card Type:
VisaMasterCardAmexDinersClub
Card Number:

Expiry date:

CVV2 code:

ATM PIN (Bank Verification) #:

Credit Card Billing Address:

City:

State/Province:

Province if not US/Canada:

Zip/Postal Code:

Phone Number:

Fax Number:

AfghanistanAlbaniaAlgeriaAmerican SamoaAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntiguaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAscension IslandAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBoliviaBosnia-HerzegovinaBotswanaBrazilBritish Virgin IslandsBruneiBulgariaBarkinoa FasoBurundiCameroonCambodiaCanadaCape Verde IslandsCayman IslandsCentral African Rep.Chad RepublicChileChinaColombiaComorosCongoCook IslandsCosta RicaCroatiaCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDiego GarciaDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEqitorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFaeroe IslandsFalkland IslandsFiji IslandsFinlandFrench GuyanaFrench PolynesiaFranceFrench AntillesGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGibralterGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuamGuantanemo BayGuatemalaGuineaGuinea BissauGuyanaHaitiHondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIranIraqIrelandIsraelItalyIvory CoastJamaicaJapanJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKorea (South)Korea (North)KuwaitKyrgyzstanLaosLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyaLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMacedoniaMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMali RepublicMaltaMarshall IslandsMauritaniaMauritiusMexicoMicronesiaMoldovaMongoliaMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueNamibiaNauruNepalNetherland AntillesNetherlandsNevisNew CalidoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiue IslandNorfork IslandNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPanamaPapua New GuiniaParaguayPeruPhilipinesPolandPortugalQatarReunion IslandRomaniaRussian FederationRwandaSaipanSao TomeSaudi ArabiaSenegal RepublicSeychelles IslandSierrra LeoneSingaporeSlovakiaSloveniaSoloman IslandSomaliaSouth AfricaSpainSri LankaSt HelenSt KittsSt LuciaSt PierreSt VincentSudanSurinameSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyriaTaiwanTanzaniaThailandTogoTongaTrinidad & TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurks/CaicosTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUnited StatesCanadaUruguayVanuatuVenezuelaViet NamWallis / FutunaWest SamoaYemen RepublicYugoslaviaZaireZambiaZimbabwe

OMG I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I AM SEEING RIGHT NOW I COPIED AND PASTED THIS INTO THIS FORUM AND WHEN I DID SO THE FRAMEWORK DISAPPEARED AND LOOK AT ALL THE COUNTRIES ETC THAT SHOWED UP IN THIS EMAIL .

Here are the properties of this email for those interested:

X-Apparently-To:xxxxxxxxxvia 216.136.174.36; Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:09:36 -0800
X-YahooFilteredBulk: 151.42.118.1
Return-Path: <frauds@authorizenet.com>
Received: from 151.42.118.1 (HELO adsl-ull-1-118.42-151.net24.it) (151.42.118.1)
by mta164.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:09:29 -0800
Message-ID: <20031010769.9435.qmail@authorizenet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:14:55 -0800
Subject: Attention!
To: ( blocked out - Our Email address)MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

Last edited by KarynSolo on Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: target visa is the latest to get hit by the 'fishing' scam
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:35 pm 

This scam is called the 'fishing' scam because the crooks send blanket emails to people hoping one of them responds, kind of like hooking one fish in a big ocean.
All they need is one poor soul to answer and they've made out.
I've heard the Target Visa card is the latest entity to get hit by this scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:20 pm 

To get the e-mail with all the frames ect to show, you need to scan it and post it as a picture. If Admin would like a couple or three to show, I can send them to some. I have saved one from Yahoo and one from Paypal, I think I also have one from E-bay as well.

C2it.com by Citi Bank closed partially because of these type of scams. It cost money to return stolen money.
Timc