ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some advice or help please!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:22 am 

My first post,
I'm not sure what to do. Recently, I figured out that my fiance was pretty much scammed by her own twin sister and my future brother-in-law. Basically, they used her fear and ignorance get extort money from her. Without going into all the details they conviced her that 'evil spirits' were out to get her and that if she paid the 'faith healer' they could take care of it.
These people lied and lied and lied. When all was said and done she gave them a total of approx 70 thousand. They told her not to tell anyone, including me. During this time I suspected something was going on. But, by the time I figured everything out it was too late. It truly sickens me what they did to my fiance. I want to get back at them somehow. I want to do everything I can to get them in jail. They transfered money via (you guessed it) Western Union, so as far as I know there is no money trail.
I'm really racking my brain on how making them pay for what happened. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? What do I need in order for this to go to trial?
I left out a lot of details, but please ask me questions. Is there anything to can do, collect... whatever to get these guys?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:59 pm 
Gold Member

Surely these are criminal acts, hence a matter for the police?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:43 am 

maninthestreet wrote:

Surely, but, I don't think we have enough evidence to do anything. She basically trusted them too much. We don't have a money trail as far as we know (things were done through Western Union). What exactly would the police need in order for us to have them arrested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 am 
Gold Member

What legal jurisdiction did these 'crimes' occur in? Are the victim and the perpertrators all in this same jurisdiction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 am 
Your first step is to get the victim, your fiance, to realize he has been victimized then that person will be able to make a statement to the authorities. If it involved WU then it may be considered wire fraud, if it crossed state lines then it is a federal offense.

If the victim does not think the way you do, and feels there is no crime, there is nothing you can do without their statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:46 pm 

armac wrote:
Your first step is to get the victim, your fiance, to realize he has been victimized then that person will be able to make a statement to the authorities. If it involved WU then it may be considered wire fraud, if it crossed state lines then it is a federal offense.

If the victim does not think the way you do, and feels there is no crime, there is nothing you can do without their statement.

I recently really convinced my fiancé that this is happening. I believe her sister and brother-in-law was sending the money to his brother in Chicago, IL. We are in California.

He would call my fiancé pretending to be this 'faith healer' character to lean on her to, 'help her sister' (his wife and himself), send a donation to their church... and other things... it gets really bad... They 'performed' an exorcism because someone 'witchcrafed' her and told her one of the church members died as a result. They quilted her into helping that person’s family financially. Of course I believe they don't exist. All these "faith healer" followers supposedly live in Puerto Rico, and always call from a restricted line. One time the brother-in-laws number showed up and the 'faith healer' voice came on. Their excuse was that they share a phone plan and share that number somehow. I know that's all BS. I think all the money either went to themselves and/or his brother in Chicago. There was one incident where the brother-in-law pretended to be possessed and pretended to almost shoot himself in the head all to keep my fiancé scared.

They would tell her things like, we need $500 now or these evil spirits will get (brother-in-law) and (fiancé). So she'd pay it. Only I think sometimes they'd keep it and spend it or send it to Chicago (they told her it was Puerto rico) via Western Union. Oh and they tell my fiancé that the faith healers hypnotize the brother-in-law, so he won't remember how or where the money is sent. Because it is against their religion to let anyone know where they live.

Also, they have a gun and the guy is crazy enough to pretend to almost blow his head off. This makes me a little concerned for my fiancés safety and also my own. I'm not sure he has it safely secured or even if he obtained it legally. Is there anything I can do down this avenue?

Also, one of the arguments I had with my fiancé was that they have a kid. Of course the guy isn't working but how come she rarely hears him on the phone. Then I remembered something my fiancé told me when she was trying to convince me of all this devil stuff, it was that 'one time (brother-in-law) kept the kid in the closet for (some period of time) to protect him from the demons. Now, I'm wondering whether this guy does this often when he calls my fiancé.

We also found out they might have gotten into my fiancé’s email account and possibly her Verizon cellular account through the website. Is there anything we can do about that?

What else can we get them for? Wire fraud? Just fraud in general? child abuse? stealing? Illegal firearm? Anything?

Thanks so much for all your help so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:34 pm 

Also, I just don't know if we have enough to go to the police with.... Is just a statement good enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:29 pm 

You cannot go with total hearsay you have to have something that you can get the police attention with. What proof do you have that this is going on that you can take with you ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:34 pm 

amazingrandy wrote:
maninthestreet wrote:

Surely, but, I don't think we have enough evidence to do anything. She basically trusted them too much. We don't have a money trail as far as we know (things were done through Western Union). What exactly would the police need in order for us to have them arrested?

Western union receipts are proof that money was sent that is proof you are not making this up. That is a good start. Email addresses are another good start to supply, though you may not be able to do anyting with them police are able to get a world of information if these ppl were stupid in any way.

days, dates, times of any phone calls that may have come in or been made to these people or from them.

Actual emails from these people with their scam talk throughout them.

Proof of threats, answering machine messages saved, email threats etc

To get these people looked into you have to give the police something to work with the above are all a good start.

How you approach the police is also very important, do not go in acting all wired and upset about the situation. Calmly tell them you would like to report a crime and ask to speak with someon ein the Fraud unit.

When you are speaking with the detective you are there out of concern and ask them for help in bringing some justice out of this . Remember if they are doing this to you, they are doing it to others, and need to be stopped.