ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:22 am 

Thanks Shawn :) Much Much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:19 am 

Quote:
I think I am going to go into the old posts and reduce the font size on all of them. It gets too hard to read/look at when it is so big.

I already tried that and they went right back to doing that. I figured since no one was replying that they were just yelling at themselves. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

ximora wrote:
I already tried that and they went right back to doing that. I figured since no one was replying that they were just yelling at themselves. :?

Well, maybe now that we have all commented on it they will get the point that speaking on the board in normal font gets more attention than large (yelling) fonts. :wink:

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Telephone Alert - Members 1st Federal Credit Union!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:37 am 

The latest telephone alert involves members contacted by individuals claiming to be a “Checking Account Supervisor” and offering “free” services. Please be aware these are not Members 1st employees and the calls are originating from a company based out of Florida named Distinct Advantage.

As when contacted by any company soliciting services via the telephone, Members 1st recommends exercising caution. Ask questions to fully understand all aspects of the offer being made.

If you are contacted and note charges were made to your account without consent by Distinct Advantage, or if you feel employees of Distinct Advantage misrepresented themselves, please contact the Florida Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Protection.

The toll free number for the Florida Attorney General’s office for filing a complaint is 1-866-966-7226. Complaints can also be filed online at

http://myfloridalegal.com/

Once on the site click on the ‘Consumer Protection’ link, then click on the ‘How to File a Complaint or Check on a Business’ link. All the necessary information for filing a complaint is provided.

For more information regarding alerts, scams, and fraud protection information please visit http://www.members1st.org/Security.aspx?index=9

As you can see I don’t make this stuff up. To see the alert for yourself click below.

http://www.members1st.org/News.aspx?index=8#PhoneScam

This is the third banking institution to post warnings about Suntasia and it’s sub companies. Also for those of YOU who have been complaining about my big fonts, I have a problem reading small print. I don't do it for "yelling" purposes. I have to make sure that what I'm typing is correct and not misleading or slandering in any way. Appreciate the fact that I'm taking time from my busy schedule (two jobs I might add) to help those who were scammed by these jackasses. The more CORRECT information is posted the better we ALL will be.

Post subject: FOURTH ALERT ON SUNTASIA AND DISTINCT ADVANTAGE!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:39 am 

Phone Solicitation Alert:

Be aware of a phone solicitation scam that has come to our attention. The caller is claiming that the person has won a gift from their financial institution for being a member or customer in good standing. We know of these calls being placed from the “727″ area code. In the past, this group has used the business names of Distinct Advantage, Freedom Gold, and Capital Vacations. Do NOT give your account number, social security number, bank name or any other personal or financial information in response to any unsolicited phone call.

End of Alert!

This warning came from the UVA Community Credit Union website. To see it for yourself, click below.

https://www.uvacreditunion.org/phishing.html?1

My goodness how many alerts is it going to take before someone finally shuts them down.

Post subject: Ex Employee at Suntasia Speaks Out!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:48 am 

A former employee at Suntasia let's everyone know the inside game going on in there. She recently posted her experience working at Suntasia and even apologized to anyone she might of misled accidently.

If you want to read it, just click the link below and scroll down to the bottom. It's titled, "ALL OF THIS IS TRUE, SUNTASIA IS A RIPOFF".

http://ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff171692.htm

This company's "free" vacation and gas vouchers are nothing but a sham.

Post subject: Hang Up if "Distinct Advantage" Calls!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:56 pm 

I told you in my earlier posts banks are becoming increasingly aware of Suntasia and their umbrella companies. Well here is more proof for you.

A fifth bank alert on Suntasia and Distinct Advantage has been posted. This time it is GESA Credit Union sending out the warning basically calling Suntasia's "Distinct Advantage" a scam.

Hang Up if "Distinct Advantage" Calls!

September 28, 2006

Recently, some members have received calls from a company that calls itself "Distinct Advantage Rewards." They say they are authorized to give Gesa members a $100 gas voucher and a $400 travel voucher, all they need is your Gesa account number and other private information.

THIS IS A SCAM. They are not acting for Gesa and they are not giving away anything. They are scam artists trying to get your financial information for fraudulent purposes.

HANG UP on them, and report the call to the Consumer Protection Division of the State of Washington at 800-551-4636.

If you have given out private information about your account to anyone in this or a similar scenario, please call the Share Drafts Department immediately for information on how to protect your account. Monday-Friday, call 509-946-1611 or toll-free at 888-946-4372. If you need immediate attention on a Saturday, you may call the Kennewick Branch at 509-783-2117.

End of Alert.

Click below to see it for yourself.

http://www.gesa.com/master.html?http:// ... fraud.html

This is becoming an all too common theme with Suntasia.

Post subject: Suntasia's BBB Report Is Out!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:00 pm 

The Better Business Bureau has finally completed it’s report on the company we’ve been discussing in the posts above, Suntasia Marketing in Largo, Florida. For those who don’t know, this company does marketing for vacation packages/promotions and long distance service.

Of course it is no surprise they have an “unsatisfactory” rating due to a pattern of complaints concerning misrepresentation and sales practices, unauthorized billing and credit issues, refund disputes and delivery issues. Now in all fairness the company did resolve most of the complaints presented by the Bureau but when you have 160 of them in 36 months that’s way too much for such a small company.

If you want to see the WHOLE report for yourself, please click the link below.

http://www.bbbwestflorida.org/commonrep ... language=1

The more people voice their concerns the better we can control how this company operates.

Post subject: Another Bank Alert On Suntasia Marketing!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:08 pm 

Once again another bank alert has been sent out to consumers. This time it’s Bridgeview Bank in Illinois making them the 6th financial institution to warn their customers about this company. Bridgeview Bank even names Suntasia Marketing and it’s sub company “Distinct Advantage” specifically in its warning. Take a look below.

THE FOLLOWING ALERT IS FROM THE BANK’S WEBSITE AT: http://www.bridgeviewbank.com/

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO OUR CUSTOMERS

RE: TELEPHONE FRAUD ALERT

The Bridgeview Bank Group has become aware of a fraud scheme which has targeted some of our customers. In this scheme a consumer is called by a marketing firm and asked to participate in a customer service survey. They claim to have been hired by Bridgeview Bank. They claim that the victim will receive free gifts, but that they need to confirm a bank account number. The caller will read off the bank’s routing number, which is public knowledge, and ask the victim to provide the account number. The account number can be used to withdraw funds from the victim’s account.

Bridgeview Bank has not hired Distinct Advantage, Suntasia Marketing or any other marketing company to call our customers. You should be very cautious of any free offer made over the telephone. Never give out confidential information such as account numbers, social security numbers or other personal information.

If you have any questions please contact our Customer Care Department at 800-794-2070 or idprotection@bridgeviewbank.com.

For tips on how to avoid telemarketing fraud, please click this link, http://www.bridgeviewbank.com/content.c ... alias=scam

I keep asking how many alerts and warnings is it going to take before people realize these guys are nothing but a scam.

Post subject: I work for Suntasia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:15 am 

First off let me be clear its not exactly by choice or desire I work there I have to survive and pay bills and with my medical situation its the only job around right now. I'm always looking for a more respectable job with benefits just can't find one right now. So that I have that out of the way.

Second I'm not going to lie as far as I can tell since I'm not in the sales room is yes they lie and rip off customers. As a former Customer Service Representative its my job to KEEP PEOPLE FROM GETTINGT HEIR MONEY BACK. I do that with some half-hearted attempts to give extra gas vouchers or some refund money from a package but realy it always comes down to this. To get a refund send $29 for processing that is not refundable to: address with a request for each item you want refunds for. This way they likely will give up, send the money and might not list al the packages they have so they won't get refunds for all of them or the company makes something out of the deal. In most cases its the first they give up.

Third I worked in Quality Assurance my job there was to be sure the saleperson read the script VERBATIM and recorded the correct part VERBATIM so we had a legal record of the sale. Its clearly the script that protects the company now and the recording we can pull if a legal problem comes up.

I personally don't get why people fall for this as a seasoned telemarketer I know better than to give personal information over the phone to anyone. That's why I don't do sales its a directly illegal Federal crime to do what they do as was pointed out. In my case I prefer to handle the crap they leave behind or do the quality assurance work at least its more honest.

So yes its a scam- period. Yes if you fall for it the company will make it hard to get a refund. Thats all the Customer Service Department really does there- stall. And we are good at it. But I will use the basic defense of my work as: I have to pay the rent, utilities, food bill, medical bill and the like so I work there. If something better comes along I'll take it.

Post subject: THANK YOU FOR BEING HONEST!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:25 am 

To Candy Cane:

First of all I would like to say that I appreciate your honesty. At least you come straight forward and confess it's a scam. I myself remember being a manager there and on the phones as well. I believed in the company until I found out towards the end of my employment that the whole thing was a sham. The guilt I felt was terrible. This is why I warn others of Suntasia.

Candy Cane you are the first person NOT to defend your company's practices and simply come clean. I don't blame you for trying to make a living. That's not what this forum is about. It's about giving out important information to the consumers who might be duped by Suntasia's agents concerning their checking account.

Now I do know Quality Control monitors to make sure the calls are legit but my problem is before the recording starts. By the time customer verifies his or her personal information the agent has TOTALLY changed his/her tune. Many customers complain that what was said on the recording is NOT what the agent specified earlier before they agreed to accept the offer. So it's the agent misrepresenting themselves throughout the whole call. It is one of the reasons why you guys are currently being investigated by the Florida Attorney Generals office for the second time in six years. The problem? Unfair and deceptive business practices along with illegal debiting of checking accounts.

From what I know Suntasia has hired an outside law firm to handle their mess. That in itself is saying something. I am not vindictive or disgruntled in any way. I was glad when I left there and found another job but sadly for the rest of you who need a paycheck it's a struggle to survive there.

So far Suntasia has had two federal investigations, three tv news stations exposing the company's questionable business tactics and six bank alerts nationwide!

And now, are you ready for this? The Better Busines Bureau has sent out an alert of their own to warn consumers of this shameful company.

Here it is, DIRECTLY from the BBB website: http://www.thelocalbbb.com/alerts/alert ... newstype=1

CURRENT ALERT:

Suntasia Marketing Targeting Area with Deceptive Calls
Date: November 13, 2006

Suntasia Marketing Targeting Area with Deceptive Calls
Company Saying "You've Won a Vacation," Quoting Personal Info

Spokane, WA. - November 13, 2006 - An elderly woman from Spokane received a call a couple nights ago from Travel Agents Direct. The person calling was named Arthur Holden, and the number displayed on her Caller ID was 877-777-2709, and yet the number the telemarketer left for her to call was 727-683-1112.

When she tried a call to the 877# number, a voice recording stated that "this is a call to which long distance charges apply, please dial "1" first.

The telemarketer was offering 2 nights anywhere in the US, and airfare up to $500 on American Airlines for a shipping and handling fee of $1.95.

The elderly woman said, "NO, I do not give you permission to take money out of my account," to which the telemarketer said they already HAD her account number. They proceeded to read her CORRECT banking info off, both her routing and account number.

The elderly woman, with her adult child, went to the bank immediately to report this activity, and the bank is watching her account for any unauthorized activity.

Scary, or what? And who, exactly is this company, anyway?

BBB investigations came to find that the long distance number given for this company is directly linked to Suntasia, a marketing group for vacation packages/promotions and long distance service located at 8751 Ulmerton Road, Largo, FL, 33771-3832, Web site: http://www.suntasia.com

This company has amassed 160 complaints as of the release of this alert, and based on BBB West Florida files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to failure to respond to one or more complaints and two or more unresolved complaints. However the business has resolved most complaints presented to the Bureau.

This company also has an unsatisfactory record due to a pattern of complaints concerning misrepresentation and sales practices, unauthorized billing and credit issues, refund disputes and delivery issues.

This company has responded to some complaints regarding such companies as, but not limited to, FreeStuffForYou, Imperial Majesty, Paradise Vacations, Membership Services, Capital Travel, Capital Vacations, Two Talk Communications, and Travel Agent Network (TAN).

End of Alert.

So you see Candy Cane, Suntasia is only putting themselves in a worst position by not changing their business tactics. I hope you can find another job soon b/c these crooks are not worth losing your dignity over.

Post subject: Another Warning Sent Out On Distinct Advantage and Suntasia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:31 am 

THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA SENT OUT AN ALERT TO THEIR STUDENTS ABOUT DISTINCT ADVANTAGE AND OTHER PROGRAMS PROMOTED BY SUNTASIA MARKETING!

The following alert is from the UVA website.

Scams from new sources:

11/15/06 - Be aware of a phone scam.

The caller is claiming that the person has won a gift from their financial institution for being a member or customer in good standing.

We know of these calls being placed from the "727" area code. In the past, this group has used the business names of Distinct Advantage, Freedom Gold, and Capital Vacations. Do NOT give your account number, social security number, bank name or any other personal or financial information in response to any unsolicited phone call.

End of Alert.

This is the 8th warning sent out on this company in the last few months. Six of those alerts cam from banking institutions and the other two are from the Better Business Bureau and UVA.

If you want to read the scam alert for yourself, just click on the UVA website below.

http://www.wise.virginia.edu/oit/security/scams.html

Post subject: suntasia marketing, travel agents direct got me almost.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:03 pm 

:shock: Just last night 1/09/07 about 7:00 pm In the state of texas. they called and done the whole nine yards like all that was stated here. I feel so stupid. I called them back and got the name of the company agian so i could research this cause they knew my routing number and all. But i was stupid to give them the info i did. I done my research on the internet and found all these web sites on these people. I called them back and told them they are a scam and the person on the phone acted so surprised. They got there manager on the phone and he admitted to being a scam artist and said i would never be bothered with them agian and hung up on me. I was at my bank before they unlocked the doors this morning to close my account. Im shure glad yaw where there for me before it was to late. they didnt get a dime off me. Atleast a bank robber gets off his but to steal money. There must be something we could do to stop these guys what if this had been my poor old grand mother. She would have lost alot to these guys. I know i will never trust any internet sales or phonecalls from people i dont know. :evil: [/b]

Post subject: suntasia marketing, travel agents direct got me almost.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:06 pm 

this was suntasia marketing i was talking about. they called me as travel agents direct and said i won a free vacation. I needed that vacation. would have been nice to get to go to florida. :(

Post subject: Not Surprising At All.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:16 am 

For those who are not aware how important it is to let people know about these scam artists including those in the media, here are some links on news stories that were done in 2006 on Suntasia Marketing and the products they sell like “Distinct Advantage”, “Travel Agents Direct”. Just click below and watch a woman in Pennsylvania who was being taken for a ride as well as others they tried to scam.

Consumer Alert: Discount Membership Clubs - KDKA Channel 2

Link:

http://kdka.com/consumer/local_story_265165935.html

“Man Warns About Suspected Phone Solicitation Scam” KETV Channel 7

Link:

http://www.ketv.com/iteam/9727067/detail.html

“Telemarketers Using Costco’s Name to Entice You To Buy” KOMO 4 News in Seattle.

Link:

http://www.kendallwatch.us/community/te ... you-to-buy

They have not only been exposed by the media but as many as 6 bank alerts in the last year alone were sent out to warn consumers about this scam not to mention a second federal investigation still on going since July of 2006.

If you think if can’t happen to you think again. Remember ALL the products that are marketed and sold come from one place ONLY. SUNTASIA MARKETING in Largo, Florida.

The programs and the companies they currently promote are:

Travel Agents Go Direct (may have changed names again)
Distinct Advantage
Freedom Gold
FloridaWay
Prism Communications

Here is a list of programs they use to promote:

Agents Travel Network
Capitol Vacations
Florida Passport
Travel Agency Network
Teliflex Communications
VersaTalk

Here is a link to their website so you can see what it looks like inside of this shameful empire.

http://www.suntasia.com/default2.html

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. Comments welcomed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next