ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North American Commission House
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:11 pm 

Hi I recieved a letter from the North American Commission House saying that i won $100,000. From a sweepstake that Reader's Digest entered my name into. First of all the letter went to my grandmother's house (which i haven't lived there in over 4 years) and along with the letter i got a check for $1944.88 The problem is I cashed the check at a Check Cashers before i did research on this. :( Wow am I dumb because i really am thinking that it is a scam. North American commission House's address is in Calgary, AB Canada and is a Canada phone number. But here is the catch the check was written from an ABB Inc when i asked the person who answered the phone he said to me that they are the 3rd party that are paying my sweepstakes winnings. LOL!!!!! Well i contacted JP Morgan Chase (the bank the check is written from) I spoke to someone who said the me that she can not give me any info on the account holders so i explained to her how i cashed the check and that i am afraid now after i cashed it. She said to me that the account (i gave her the numbers on the check i made a copy of the check) is an active account with transactions being made on it. She said to me that it is ok that i cashed the check because the check was written out to me and that i can't get in trouble for cashing it because i am going on the assumption that the check was written out to me. So my question is this : Is the banker correct? And if not since i cashed it at a Check Cashers (thank god i didn't wire the company the money yet) what happens since i didn't use my bank????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:12 am 

The problem you are going to have here is when that check comes back as fraudulant. Once that happens, the check cashing place is going to come after you and not the bank that the check was written on. You could always contact Readers Digest to check out the validity but I can almost assure you that they'll know nothing about it. There are much more formal ways that a winner is notified. Checks are never sent directly in the mail like that. I would not wire those funds. I would contact the check cashing place and tell them what's going on and follow their advice on it. Most of these check cashing places can be a lot more agressive than a bank will when it comes to collecting on a bad check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:02 pm 

ximora is right . I hope you have not spent any of that money . If you haven't then it's not so bad when the check comes back just walk in and give them there money with a returned check fee . But before that happens I would also go to the local police and talk to a detective so they know whats going on . You can bet that the check place is going to report it as soon as they get it back . Cover all your base's before they come back on you . I would also call the check cashing place and let them know to . This is a good one for KarynSolo .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:07 pm 

Thank you guys for your info. I am definately going to go back to the check cashers place and return that money. or follow they're directions. I have been reading alot of the comments and they are right with bank employess when i contacted the bank it was drawn from the best advice the employee gave me was that i can cash it because it was written out to me. I stressed to her that i feel like it can be a scam seeing that i have been scammed in the past by someone acting like a bill collector and if i didn't western union them money a cop was going to come and arrest me and the employee never even tried to investigate further on the check that was mailed to me. I am also going to go to my local police station to turn the letter and the copy of the check to them. The fake sweepstakes winner is still waiting for me to call back to get the western union information so maybe the cops will call and act like me and catch them. (Wishful Thinking) But thank you guys sooooo much for the advice.

Post subject: North American Commission House
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:57 pm 

Hi my wife also got a letter from north american commission house with a check for 2965.75 from the group ABB. And the check was from JP morgan Chase. The check was also sent to her grandmothers where she hasnt lived for years. The address on the letter was 100 King Blvd, Suite 300, Calgary, AB F2c 4T8 and there phone number is 1-306-351-3267. They told her she had won 100,000 dollars from an entry that readers digest had entered her in and all she had to do was send them the 2965.75 for taxes and fees and after they got that money she would have her check for 100,000 within 2 days. She deposited the check in our bank and at first the check cleared but around a week went by and we got a letter from our bank with a copy of the check saying it was counterfeit. Thank god we didnt spend any of the money or had sent it to the crooks. Ive been in touch with authorities and a group called phone busters in canada. I suggest you also go to http://www.phonebusters.com and report this to them. i have to laugh at the name of the guy i talked to at north american commission house lawrence taylor the great linebacker for the giants.I guess he thought i was dumb. Its funny how everytime you try to call them all the agents are busy and then it goes to an answering machine where you cant leave a message most of the time because the machine is full and cant take anymore messages. These people pray on people with no money and get there hopes up making them think they have won all kinds of money then in the long run the people get screwded out of there money and get there feelings crushed by these ASSHOLES. i really hope you report these people to phone busters because the more people who do the more likely they Are to do something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:55 pm 

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that i just reported it to Phonebusters. It's funny cause the person i spoke to on the phone his name was Harry Henderson (Harry and the Hendersons). They really try to take us Americans for fools. I really hope they catch these BASTARDS!!!!!! I am starting to hate Canada. They have already scammed me twice. The first time was that they called me acting like a lawyers office and that if I didn't western union them $850 for an outstanding balance from a Sears Credit Card I had (I was 18 when i got that card) that they were going to inform the sheriff's office in Massachusetts to come and arrest me. I didn't have that kind of money to send them so i asked to speak to a supervisor and a guy with an indian accent named Bob (LOL) got on and he settled for me to send them $180. But the funny thing is that they called me at work and they knew my social security #. These JERKS had all my info. That is very scary. When i called Sears to see if they recieved money Sears informed me that they don't deal with the company i mentioned to them and that that is not the way they settle a debt. So immediatly i called the JERKS back and started screaming at them and they called me back and threatened me. MY husband called them and acted like somebody else gave a fake name and they tried to scam him out of money. So beware of that scam going around as well. They tried to say to him the same thing they told me the only difference is that they didn't have the social security # of course because he gave a fake name but they really tried to act like they had that name in their system. So i contacted Social Security put a fraud alert on my # called all 3 major credit bureaus put a fraud alert on that and contacted the FCC. Then after that do you know that those BASTARDS somehow had my bank info and wired out $450 from my account. I eventually got the money back from the bank because of the insurance but it took like 7 months for me to get that money back after they're investigation. So i had to close my account and stop all direct deposits to prevent them from getting into it again. :evil: