ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paypal/Squaretrade scams possible??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:09 pm 

Are Paypal or Squaretrade scams possible? I've been cheated before, so now I'm overly cautious about international suppliers. There is one person who Canadian and verified with Paypal, and another in Indonesia who has an account at Squaretrade. Is it possible to be cheated with a verified member of Paypal, or a member of Squaretrade?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:48 pm 
Are they spoofing the sites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:05 pm 

what do you mean by spoofing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:17 am 

Paypal and Square Trade along with Ebay have had site spoofing happen to them often for quite some time. Simply put the scammer ( Phisher ) uses a program to copy a site like ebay and make a duplicate on their server of that site, they then spam people to get them to give up their account login informaiton which in turn gives them access to the account to wipe the victim out financially. Some of the sites are used to harvest credit card information which in turn is used to make fake duplicate cards for thieves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:30 am 

But, if I send someone the money directly through my computer, like I go to Paypal and send the money manually through my Paypal account instead of answering an invoice-- that would be safe, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:38 pm 

It depends on the transaction- again I reiderate the following:

If you are in the US and sending money to someone over seas, paypal will not help you if you get ripped off. They will not investigate the issue and even have a warning within the terms and conditions that they do not guarantee transactions outside of your home country.

If you send money through paypal you do so directly from logging into your account at http://www.paypal.com. NEVER answer an email asking you to pay something or stating that you have to confirm your login information due to some change in service or a security breech, those are spoofed and you will only be giving your money away to a thief by supplying access to your account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:15 am 

HI,

I AM CURRENTLY DEALING WITH SOMEONE WHO IS IN ITALY AND WILL BE USING SQUARE TRADE SECURITY SERVICE TO E-MAIL ME AN INVOICE WHICH I WILL HVAE TO PAY. HOW DO I VERIFY THAT THIS IS ACTUALLY COMEING FROM SQUARE TRADE SECURITY SERVICE ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:45 pm 

dobsen wrote:
HI,

I AM CURRENTLY DEALING WITH SOMEONE WHO IS IN ITALY AND WILL BE USING SQUARE TRADE SECURITY SERVICE TO E-MAIL ME AN INVOICE WHICH I WILL HVAE TO PAY. HOW DO I VERIFY THAT THIS IS ACTUALLY COMEING FROM SQUARE TRADE SECURITY SERVICE ?

Hello, I am new here, but have been dealing with these types of scams for over a year now.

There is no "Square Trade Security Service". SQ is a mediation service used "when good auctions go bad."

The Romanians use spoofed Square Trade or Safe Harbor emails in order to lure you into a false sense of security. These services DON'T DO ESCROW!

Here's an easy way to check: Go to readnotify.com and sign-up for the free trial. Send an email to the "seller" and tack ".readnotify.com on the end of his address (don't worry, he can't see it!). You will receive an email telling you where the person opened the email.
(Example: "GypsyScammer@yahoo.com.readnotify.com")
I use the paid service and it is great. There's even a map which pinpoints where it was opened and how long it was read! If he forwards it, you see that too.

I will bet you, 9-to-1 that he is in Bucharest, Rm Valcea or Dragasani.
Italy is a common area for them to stage the scams because there are enough Romanians living there to pick-up your Western Union transfer, take their cut and forward the rest back to DraculaLand.

If your Square Trade agreement tells you to use Western union, because it is "safe, fast and secure", have yourself a good laugh and post his email address here for me.
Pretty please?
:wink:

Whatever happens, DO NOT SEND A DIME!!!

The Goatman

Post subject: i got a problem
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:41 pm 

hello,
I found this guy on alibaba.com which is a wholesale place where people place there adds and people write and inquiry to them and they then contact you back. but any way this guy wants me to pay for an item through Square Trade and i want to know if its possible.
thanks and i want to know if iam getting riped off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:44 pm 

he lives in italy rome and his email is gheeeo@yahoo.com so i want to know if you could check him out for me okay?
thanks
he is selling apple ipods that are all sizes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:14 am 

Sleepster, you can check him yourself.
1. Take a look at the mail headers, and check up his IP address. This way you can find out where he sends his mails from (though some of them scammers hide behind AOL addresses)
2. sign up to readnotify.com, and mail the guy. This might show you where he READS his mails (again, valuable information)
3. Ask for a phone number; Try calling it. I got a supposedly UK (+44-70) phone number, which turned out to call Romania.

If any of the above shows ANY Romanian signs, cut and run...

I will be glad to assist you with these; just msg me if you need any help.