ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What about the United Nations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:34 am 

This might be a silly question/thought but there are a very large group of agencies such as IC3, FBI, SOCCA etc who are fighting real hard against this, however, they are very limited in their actions as they find it extremely hard to get juridictions in countries such as Nigeria, Russia, Malaysia which are scammers heavens, therefore, I am wondering if the UN is involved in this? I have noticed on their site that they have agencies on crimes and prevention which covers areas such as money landering, organise crimes, piracy and so on and so forth.

I am curious as per why the UN does not come in the group of agencies to which scams should be reported to(or personally, have not come accross it) as through their diplomatic influence, I feel they could be very influencial in this exercise.

Just a thought

Post subject: Re: What about the United Nations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:35 pm 

They can hold a conference on the subject. Maybe they can come up with a resolution that countries can then decide to ignore.

BTW, you can only file a complaint at IC3 if either you or the scammer is an American citizen and I am not sure that is the case with you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:49 am 

Hey, I agree with you that countries might choose to ignore but if they managed to pass a resolution then it is more leverage which can be used for the delegates to pressurize the delegates of those countries we know all too well off. Furthermore, the UN runs a lot of programs of various sorts in Africa so they have leverage there. I think the UN is the best avenue so far to take the fight on scamming and iternet fraud to the next level as a follow up to all the ground work done by the agencies.

At the time I filed the complaints, the scammer was posing as an American citizens with adress in california. After I discovered the new story, that is when I contacted my local FBI agency.

Thank you for your comment, I will say that at least someone is showing interest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:42 am 

One of the two parties needs to be located in the US. Not pretending to be.

The UN might run a lot of programs, but what would be the leverage? Threatening to stop those programs? They have no leverage. All they can do is offer help.
A resolution does not mean a thing. Counties veto it or interpret it as they see fit.
Look at the International Court of Justice. The great judicial organ of the UN. Vife of the twelve permanent members have veto power and The United States accepts the court's jurisdiction only on a case-by-case basis. Since they foot the bill they can get away with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:29 am 

The UN is for me a logical escalation point. Scamming is an international issue, not just a US one. Their leverage may be weak but it raises the issue at international level which can not hurt. They have agencies which deals with crime, frauds etc, ...I would like to hear what they have to say on this matter.

And one of the party had a registered address in the US until I found that that it was not exactly the case.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:37 am 

Dahlfi wrote:
I would like to hear what they have to say on this matter.

Then I suggest you contact them to find out, but I can predict you are wasting your time. Scamming may be an international issue, but in the big picture, it is nothing more than petty crime. I can understand your outrage, but you need to see this in perspective. You do not ask the FBI to take an active part in preventing shoplifting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:08 am 

I intend to contact them once I have worked out the best agency within the UN to do so and I do not see it as a waiste of time. At least, I am taking a shot at it. Scamming is cannot be compared with shop lifting that is why the FBI have a section on scamming and internet fraud so if it is good enough for the FBI, then why should the UN not feel concerned since they too have a section dedicated to fraud, money laundering and so on and so forth.

I am not outraged about it, I passed the outraged status when the police would not file my complaint and told me to get a lawyer, then I was outraged as I was reporting a crime and their jobs in my eyes is to register the crime in question whether they are able to handle it or not and if not, they should refer it to the agency which can. Simple.

Since, you do not seem to think that there are no avenues worth pursuing against this then please tell me, what exactly do you propose here?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm 

Dahlfi wrote:
Since, you do not seem to think that there are no avenues worth pursuing against this then please tell me, what exactly do you propose here?

That actually is a good question and hard to answer. In my opinion, and I do not have to be right, this is something like the Vietnam war. One you can not win. You/We are fighting guerillas. Anonymous people in internet café's. Café's protect them cause they are their source of income, and the country is corrupt enough to do nothing about it. UN can't change that. They work high level, this is low level so to speak. The country can do something about it, but the local police chief has his own rules, so they will get nowhere. So basically, all you can do is try to educate people and hope that will make a difference. For some it never will.