ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Craiglist: Veronica.Witter@yahoo.com (using same M.O.)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 pm 

I was a bit surprised that the response was in the wee hours of the morning, which is a red flag to me that somebody from the otherside of the continent was trying to scam me. Sure enough, I did an IP trace and I wasn't surprised when I received the following:

Email Sender: veronica.witter@yahoo.com [more info]
IP address: 41.155.3.237
IP address country: Nigeria
IP address state: Lagos
IP address city: Lagos
IP address latitude: 6.4531
IP address longitude: 3.3958
ISP of this IP: Starcomms Limited
Organization: Starcomms Limited
Local Time of this IP country: 2011-02-15 03:44

That's when I started to search for scams and once I filtered onto "rental scams", I knew I was getting warmer and after 3 different sites, I found this site, which had very similar "M.O." or in some cases word by word to previous scam attempts. Once I searched on the email addressed I also found 6 other craiglists ads throughout the US, so that was like the final blow to know 100% that this was a scam.

The ad response that I received went like this:

Hello xxxxxx,
Thanks for the response to my introductory mail Posting, I really do appreciate the breakdown details of the room. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me as i'll love to rent the place.I am a humanitarian officer involved in projects that includes orphans,orphanages,heart related diseases in children betweeen the ages of 4-5yrs.I will be staying for a minimum of 5 to 6 months.
Am 25 years old from Canada,I don't drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do,no pets and no boyfriend because I am a very busy woman.I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and handworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with.. I'm 5"7' straight.Religion: Christianity,Marital Status: never been married,Weight: 53 kg 117 lbs I always love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis.
I like the job cos we are working in collaboration with the world health organisation,hospital,health centres,medical and other health related instutitions,it also involves travelling which is one of my hobbies,
I must confess i'm comfortable with the cost of the room and its quite reasonable and affordable . I will like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 5months,'ve told my boss about this and he promised to make sure that he will meet up with the payment so that I can depart from here as scheduled.He also said I will have the advantage to make payment for deposit .I should arrive to US on before the Date 1st of March, so pls keep room for me till my arrival.He also said my mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,easier,safer and reliable means of payment which is United State Certified money order so pls let me know if this mode of payment is ok by you.
And if YES pls provide me with the following information to get the payment to you.Your full name as it will appear on the payment,your work place address to ensure delivery in your hands through regular mails or a courier service,your phone number on the package to avoid package missing in transit.I will prefer to send to your work address because you will always be available at work from morning till evening but if home address it will be sitting in your mail and no one will be at home to receive the package.And if you don't receive package at your office address then I guess your home address will be good for the delivery right ? But to avoid any delay of you receiving at home then I guess work address will be fine what do you think ? Kindly get back to me with this requested address contact information bellow so that we can proceed asap,do get back to me with your full information,

(1)your full name .
(2)your contact address .not po box address
(3)your phone # .
(4)your email address so that my boss can sent the payment to you ok.
Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have okay...
Hope to read from you soon.
Kindest Regards,
Jennifer

NB.............Here is my picture in the attach and my friend and family

I am certain he/she took the pics from some my space account in Canada. I don't know why he/she signed off as Jennifer, when the yahoo account's name is veronica witter.

I didn't get far enough into the scam to find out about "her" uncle, who she was suppose to visit. She hasn't responded because she's probably figured out that I know this was a scam by the way I responded, telling her that no money was needed upfront and she could pay me after getting her first pay check...lol!!! yeah right!!!

Post subject: Re: Craiglist: Veronica.Witter@yahoo.com (using same M.O.)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:28 am 

Hi,
I tried to search a scammer's IP address location by typing in google, Latitude 6.4531 and longitude 3.3958.
I find it is the same scammer that scammed me a lot money.
do you have her/him pictures? to post?
Thank you!