ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: on-line dating/romance scams - be careful!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:29 am 

Already posted something the other day. But now I know the truth. Geeeze. Darnit. SO furious about all this and mad. I'm pretty sure, NO positive I've been a victim of a on-line dating/romance scam. How did this happened. I feel so used and I let it happen. but not my fault. Must keep telling myself that. I sign-up on Match.Com. Met a man with the user name on Match.Com of - Chemistry1960us. He gave me his name of Joseph Robert Williams, said he was born in Switzerland, living in Norristown, Pa for pass 30 years. He winked at me, he catch my attention. Picture and profile very attractive. We started chatting back and forth. It's like we knew each other for a long time. Then, I now realized, I made the mistake of chatting with him through Yahoo Messenger. With my e-mail address. We exchanged phone #'s, talked some on the phone but mostly through chatting through Yahoo IM Mess. He has an attractive accent. His e-mail address is/was - chemistryrob78@yahoo.com. We met Dec. 22, 2010 on Match.Com. We talked for hours - 3-4 hrs every night for pass 3 weeks. Have so much in common, same interest, what we are looking for in friendship/companionship/long term commitment etc. Gave me personal details about himself and me back to him. He gave me details such as: He was born/raised in Switzerland. Moved to PA in the states when he was 20 for schooling. Father well off had a cleaning business, his mom had a jewelry shop. Is involved in his own business in Pa, building customer homes, renovations, telecommunications, faster internet connections, etc. Described his home. His 7 year old son's interest, he was in private school, wanted to transfer to a Christian. He talked often of his beliefs in GOD, mine also. He's been on business trips oversees to places such as China, Japan, Hawaii, etc. Sent me 8 pics of himself and his 7 year old son. And friends he made in Japan, China. Pic of his best friend from Holland. Says he lives in Norristown, Pa which is only 84 miles from my home. Said 2 years ago his wife, a child and I think his Mom died in car accident. His friend, John, from Holland, talked him into going on Match.Com. We communicated for 3 weeks as of Yesterday Jan. 11, 2011. Was so romantic, as if we've known each other forever. Confessed he was falling in love with me. I started feeling the same. We both believed in love at first site or that 2 people in a short time can have feelings of love, wanting to be with each other, to share their lives. He made me feel like no other man ever with all the wonderful things he would say, and about his feelings for me. GOD sent us to each other, etc. He talked about being possible soul mates. He told me he is preparing for early retirement, had 1 more business trip to Ghana - Africa, would take 3 weeks to finish. But wasn't sure when the business deal would come through but any time. We were to meet Jan. 1, 2010 at a public place between both our homes. But 24 hours prior he e-mails me and said the contract for the trip to Africa came through. Was leaving in 24 hours. He got there, kept close contact. Gave me a cell # that he was using for business. We talked everyday, then through Yahoo Im Mess. Guess I was so lured by his tactics I even drove 80 miles to meet him at a restaurant before he was to live on his flight to Africa. But time constraints got in the way. I missed him. He keep in close contact while in Accra, Ghana - Africa. We would talk for hours on-line. Oh he said his late Mom had a Jewelry Shop he wanted to re-open. Since he was retiring from other business adventures but still has 1-2 business deals on the side - part-time that he was interested in. He wanted to teach me business and to help run his late Mom's jewelry shop, would teach me and show how to make some of the jewelry that his mom had shown him for the shop. After the 1st week in Africa. He told me there was an opportunity to buy lots of GOLD Stuffs - how he put it - for the Jewelry shop. The people have no idea what it's all worth in the states. He can get it really cheap. He seen it. That's when just a few days ago he said he could buy it for $250,000 it be worth $2 million. He asked me to contribute $20,000. Yea right. Are you kidding me. I told him before I lost my job 20 months ago, had a temp job that ended. Was still unemployed. He didn't care about that, and said he understood. SO he was now asking me for all this money. What the crap. Surreal. Still almost was in denial that this guy was scamming me. SO I kept communication with him till last night. He said he gave $230,000 towards the Gold deal, was asking his financial people how they could transfer that money from his accounts in the states, he told me he'd have to open and account in Accra then his money could be transferred for the Gold deal. But it would cost $500 in cash to open account, since card card systems weren't available, he didn't have that much cash with him, if I could send him the $500. Such a scam. My wake up call. I feel so used, hurt, misguided, emotionally drained, deceived, my emotions/feelings were played with. Just unbelievable that these psychos do this stuff to unsuspecting woman. Never ever had anything happen to me like this. Be a long time before I will trust anyone again. How did I fall for this. I'm not dumb or stupid. Just looking for friendship, companionship, LOVE.. Which is only a natural human instinct. Went through 18 years of marriage, then the last 10 years my soon to be ex was a drug addict. Had to get out. But knew my marriage was over 2-3 years ago. Been on my own for almost 2 years. I moved on. Was ready for some kind of relationship/friendship with another man. I know now I let my self be open to all the wonder things and feelings that this guy lured me into feeling. Not my fault.
Is there any support groups on-line for victims of dating/romance scams like to this. So we can support each other and talk about what's happened us and to start to heal. I need some help and advice. Anything be appreciated. I tried to look around but wasn't sure where to go. Got kinda confused. Want to help myself as I help others who've be scammed such as myself. Just so shocking. I opened my heart and to this. Praying a lot telling myself it be ok.

Post subject: Re: on-line dating/romance scams - be careful!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

baystargazer wrote:
Is there any support groups on-line for victims of dating/romance scams like to this. So we can support each other and talk about what's happened us and to start to heal. I need some help and advice. Anything be appreciated. I tried to look around but wasn't sure where to go. Got kinda confused. Want to help myself as I help others who've be scammed such as myself. Just so shocking. I opened my heart and to this. Praying a lot telling myself it be ok.

There are some resources here
http://scamvictimsunited.com/Romance.htm

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 am 

Meeting a guy or girl online has become an acceptable way to begin a new relationship. However, that does not mean there are no longer any risks involved. Scam artists, predators, manipulators and other threats abound online. Learn how to protect yourself if you decide to explore Internet dating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm 

oh yes there is support ; my scammer must have been your guy's roommate; he got me for 20000 real money and my living nightmare is now my life; i dont know the end but i faceprison losing home losing kids and credit and money is already gone ; my guy knew i had nocash and i thought i had checked it akk out; again i was a hooked fish real bad; didnt know about a lot until now; anyway he was to send thru his own money and had a cpa and documents looked real and i insisted it went thru the bank direct for assurance; we sent it and it was real money only a few days later the real owner of it (or him) ubdud the ach deposit and it was all reclaimed as fake; and i am legally hanging!! these were a group of pros; and i was a hungry fish; now life is different 4 ever;; match . CON altho they have dating tips and my guy got me off so fast i didnt even see these; he was so sweet looking i will call him my ghost man; see the inbox for my thoughts there; bye and dont feel alone; these are professional criminals and even fooled my bank; twice!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm 

Thank you so much for this post. I was just on line chatting with him, googled his name and this came up. Wow, I can't believe it.