ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: craigslist and rent.com scams
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:49 pm 

OK so apparently this person never wrote back :?: so I guess it was a kind of scam...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 am 

Sunny23,

I received the same reply from Dr. Brandon. I am feeling really discouraged with Craigslist- every posting I have responded to has been a scam.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 pm 

I can't belive it I almost got scammed as well. I found this amazing condo on Lakeshore in Toronto for rent $900 month, FOUND THIS ON CRAIGSLIST thought it was too good to be true.. I googled rent scams and didn't find anything about this one, so I gave him my address and phone number... Now I'm a little scared. see the emails back and fourth....

FROM mrbeen974@yahoo.com
Hello,
The apartment is available .I can rent you the apt for max. 5 years.I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it and i was hoping if you can send me some personal and financial informations about yourself. The monthly rent of $900 will include all utilities such as water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking etc. The only problem is that i had to move with my job to United Kingdom, London where i am now and i left the keys and contract already signed by me at a company called Rent.com and they will handle the payment and delivery for us. If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step.
Thank you and hope to hear back from you.

I wrote back:
The apartment would be rented to myself, my husband, and our 18 month old son. We both work, my husband is in construction engineering, I am the executive assistant to a president of a flooring construction company. We would like to view the apartment before any financial information is released, and would this also be through Rent.com? We are actually looking to rent for max 5 years as we would like to buy a home within that time frame.
I can assure you that we are financially stable and responsible adults.
I do have a few questions about the residence, would I direct them to your agent when we meet to view the condo?
Please let me know the details and with whom we need to speak with regarding a viewing time.
I look forward to hearing from you.

THEN MR BEN wrote:
Ok,
If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact Rent.com and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from Rent.com shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well.
Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to a Rent.com account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that Rent.com has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.
As soon as the funds have been deposited into their account, they will immediately start the shipping process.
The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 3 working days. You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize Rent.com to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask Rent.com to return the funds to you.
Through I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through Rent.com right away.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards,

WHAT GETS ME IS THEY USE THE EXACT SAME WORDING IN EVERY E-MAIL THAT I'VE SEEN ON HERE!!!

I Wrote back and said
Ok just a quick question, I know that the listing says available furnished, we have a lot of own furniture that we would like to use, is there a locker that we can store the unused furniture?

My full name is
***address***
Toronto, On
We are staying at this address as of next week,(this is my mother in law's address) as the place that we are currently living will be undergoing renovations and our son has asthma.
phone.number ****

THAT'S WHEN I FOUND THIS WEBSITE, THANK GOD I JUST WROTE HIM/HER AND SAID

Thanks for all the information, something has come up, we will not be looking for a place until January.... I appreciate all the information that you provided to me, however will not be requiring the documentation from Rent.com.

Best Regards.

I AM REALLY SCARED THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SOMEHOW START HARRASSING ME AND I FEEL SO STUPID AND LIKE I PUT MY FAMILY'S SAFETY IN JEOPARDY.
CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE GIVEN YOUR ADDRESS/PHONE NUMBER DID ANYTHING HAPPEN????

Last edited by almostgotscamed on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:04 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

almostgotscamed wrote:
I AM REALLY SCARED THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SOMEHOW START HARRASSING ME AND I FEEL SO STUPID AND LIKE I PUT MY FAMILY'S SAFETY IN JEOPARDY.
CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE GIVEN YOUR ADDRESS/PHONE NUMBER DID ANYTHING HAPPEN????

First off, I am so glad that you found our site before it was too late and that you are not our any money.

Second, do not feel stupid . . . these people are good at what they do . . . it is all they do and they have fooled many people.

Third, if they do call or email you I would block the number or email address, and then you are done with them. They don't have time to waste trying to find a way to get a hold of you just to give you a hard time . . . they have other people that they are trying to scam also. They spend all day emailing people at craigslist, rent.com or other sites, and communicating with the ones that do respond.

Last, I would contact rent.com and ask them to post a warning about this scam on their main page . . . I just checked and I could not find anything. Also, let them know the name and contact info on the scammer and see if they can block their account or at least take down the listing that they have posted.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:51 pm 

I wanted to thank you guys for keeping this thread up. My girlfriend and I were looking for an apartment in DC and found a great deal on craigslist. I contacted the landlord and got this in response:

Thanks for taking the time to look at my property.My name is xxxxxxx ,I'm 48 years old,I'm a construction engineer and I'm the owner of this condo(2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms,1100 square footage) .I lived in this beautiful condo for over 5 years and loved every day of it.It's located at 2401 Pennsylvania Ave NW Washington, DC 20037 .Situated just down the avenue from the White House and with all of the city’s cultural and historic elements just steps away, 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue is truly the crown jewel of residential properties in Washington, DC.
The condo is fully furnished with all necessary amenities(exactly like in the pics),Brazilian cherry floors; Luxurious kitchen with Viking appliances, large kitchen island and Poggen Pohl cabinets; master bedroom/master bath includes an oversized marble soaking tub and separate shower; California Closets walk-in closet in master bedroom; Second bedroom/den with second full bath.
The unit is equipped with recessed lighting, central air and heat, the condo come with two parking spots,a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want use your furniture),there is also a linen closet, and most importantly, a new front loading stacked washer and drier.Pets allowed.I've moved to United Kingdom with my job (i am a construction engineer) and decided to rent it because the rent is is very expensive here.The price is so low because I'm here and is very hard to find a tenant.I can rent you the condo for max. 6 years .I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.The rent of the condo for 1 month is $1200 including all utilities(water,electricity, Internet,cable, parking,air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage) and I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account.You can move in the condo in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in United States that could show you the condo.In order to check it,see if you like it(I'm sure that you'll love it),you need to receive the keys and the contract. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal in a safe and fast way for both.The solution is provided by a company called RENT (http://www.rent.com) which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys .A friend of mine moved here from California and used the company to resolve the same problem . This procedure allow you to pay the rent only after you will receive the keys,after you will see it, decide if you will stay in the condo or not( I will receive the payment after you'll check the condo).If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and I will send you the details step by step.
Let me know if you are interested because I really need to take care of this matter by the end of the next week.

The word choice here seems exactly like some of the previous posts, so thanks for saving us some cash.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:11 am 

I recently stumbled upon the same craigslist scammer. My wife found an apartment on craigslist that seemed too good to be true. Seemed like a scam to me, but I felt like pursuing it anyway, just out of curiosity.

After an initial e-mail expressing interest, here's what happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----
To: "ME"
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 6:37:55 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: $1000 / 3br - Huge 3 bedroom / 1 bath duplex in Lincoln Park

Hello,

The apartment is available. I can rent the apt for min..2 months, max.5 years.I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it and i was hoping if you can send me some personal and financial informations about yourself. The monthly rent of $1000 will include all utilities such as water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking etc. The only problem is that i had to move with my job to United Kingdom, London where i am now and i left the keys and contract already signed by me at a company called Rent.com and they will handle the payment and delivery for us. If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step.

Thank you and hope to hear back from you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as soon as I saw the thing in there about a contract with rent.com I knew it was a scam, I looked into rent.com when we couldn't sell our house and were thinking about renting it out and knew that they didn't handle anything but the advertisement of rental properties, but I felt like stringing the guy along a little further.

So here's what I wrote back:

To: "David Petrovic" <avidpetroc43@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 1:42 PM

I know what it's like to have a home in one place and be living elsewhere. When we moved here three years ago we rented and paid mortgage for nine months while our house was on the market. We've lived in three different apartments since we moved here now and we're looking for a place that we like well enough to want to renew our lease after the first year. We're pretty close to that now, but we were thinking that a 3 bedroom would be better for our family than the two bedroom that we currently rent.

We have a perfect renters history, no late payments, no damage or other issues and are very clean and respectful people. My wife stays home with our two children and I work at an Advertising agency downtown. I'd be happy to provide more financial information like a copy of my paycheck or bank statement as well as submit to any background checks or credit checks you might require, but I'd like to see the property first.

Our current lease expires at the end of May, so we would need to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible so as to be able to let our current landlord know if we plan on moving at the end of our lease.

My wife is available to see the property any time this week, and I would be available after 6pm or anytime this weekend.

Thank you

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:54:03 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central

Hello,

If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact Rent.com and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from Rent.com shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well.
Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money($2000 for two months) to a Rent.com Agent from United States. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that Rent.com has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.
As soon as the funds have been deposited into their account, they will immediately start the shipping process of the keys.
The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 3 working days. You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize Rent.com to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask Rent.com to return the funds to you.
Though I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through Rent.com right away.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

To: "David Petrovic" <avidpetroc43@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 6:11 PM

It's an amazing apartment and while I'd love to rent it, it seems like a pretty convoluted process. One that's suspicious to say the least.

Oh, and there's also this to explain:
http://www.rent.com/company/security/

And this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 101AAT56n9

Oh, and this one too:
http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2 ... &sk=t&sd=a

Geez man, at least be creative enough to change up the story. Or perhaps you might find it more rewarding to make money legally. I'm sure whatever your circumstances you could find something more constructive to do with your time than attempted fraud.

I could turn your IP address (It's crazy what a phone call to the right people will get you, eh?) over to the ICCC or the FTC, but I think an apology from you would be more satisfying. That way when someone who isn't as nice as me rats you out, you can claim you did express remorse at least once.

Have a nice day.

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:14:03 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central

Hello and please forgive me.

Please do not turn me on to the authorities .

I will stop doing this right now, i was desperately to get some money because i'm teen eager and i need some cash asap.

Again please forgive and God Bless You

What an idiot.
Thought some of you guy's would be interested in reading that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 pm 

Just almost fell for this. Same messages, just a different name. Odd how everyone has moved to the U.K. :wink:

Anyway, I filed a lengthy detailed report to rent.com and suggested they put an alert on the HOME PAGE, not inside in their security area. Marked as Scam on Craigslist

Update: Found IP address and reported this to abuse@hotmail.com. The IP address, 65.55.116.47, is apparently owned by Microsoft!!!!!!

how bizarrely fitting if this means one of Microsoft's servers has been hijacked!

Post subject: Re: craigslist Money Order scam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:47 pm 

Hello all,

I am scammed by one of the Craigslist post. It is a company named MUTUAL INC. said they selected me as their representative in my area and that person named WILLIAM MARKHAM asked me to cash a money order and take 10% of it and forward it to some address in UK.

That money order is a USPS Postal Money Order. Before going to USPS, i checked online how the USPS money order looks like. It was tooo realistic that i went to USPS with those three $750 each money orders. USPS staff said, that is a FAKE Money order and took all the copies of my ID's and Passport including my ADDRESS. They said, they will inspect and will contact me back.

I am fooled by that company and right now i am afraid of the situation. What will be the next step??? Is anybody gonna arrest me??? I am afraid. Somebody please reply to my post.

Looking forward for responses.

Thank You

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:25 pm 

Beware of legitimate looking emails coming from msn/live/hotmail addresses! I got a very similarly worded email and when going through with giving them my address, they sent me an email looking like it came from move.com - so MOVE.COM is another website being used!

Here are the email exchanges I got from a Nancy Hughes at hughes.nancy02@gmail.com

Happy to hear of your interest. I live in London most of the time and I've decided to rent this apartment. The typical rent range for an apartment in this area of town (1600 Sand Hill Road Palo Alto, CA 94304) is between $2,000.00 and $2,500.00/month. I'm asking only $1,000/month with all utilities included because I need a serious and trust worthy person who not only will pay me the rent on time but also will take care and preserve my property.
I was looking to rent the apartment for at least six months, but I'm flexible, so please let me know your thoughts.
I decided to rent the apartment through Move.com, a company, whose service we'll use to carry out the transaction. Move.com has the possession of all the necessary documents (rental contract, proof of ownership...) and apartment keys. If you want to learn more about how this Move.com service works, let me know.
Thank you,

I sent back:

Hi Nancy,

I would be interested! I was wondering which apartment you are referring to, as I don't remember off the top of my head...could you send me a description and whether it's furnished? Also, I'm afraid I can only rent for the period mid-June to mid-Sept, but will be able to take care of your property and pay the rent on time no problem.

Thank you so much,

Then got:

I'm ok with your lease terms. The apartment is completely furnished, washer/dryer in unit, very clean, ready for you to move in. If you have your own furniture we will find a way to empty the apartment so you can bring your own things. If we decide to proceed with this transaction, i will have to forward your info at Move.com, so they can start the process right away. You will receive a notification from Move.com shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow.
Regarding the payment, you will be instructed how to deposit 3 months advance rent payment,which means $3,000, to a Move.com account. Move.com will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. If you decide to rent the apartment, 2 months rent payment will be sent back to you and one month rent will be sent to me. That is how their renter protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that Move.com has the possession of the money during the transaction period. That is my insurance.. I require the payment in advance at Move.com because my time is very limited, I don't want to end up paying Move.com for this service without any result. I'm sick of tire-kickers, people who are just looking around and not serious about renting.
If you're OK with my terms and you wish to proceed please forward me your full name and address and I will pass them onto Move.com. They will contact you with payment instructions in order to secure the deposit. A Move.com Agent will deliver the keys and rental contract to you in person so you can inspect the apartment. If you will decide to pass and start looking for another place, Move.com will return you the money 100%, as I will be supporting the fees. Though I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available.
Hope to hear from you soon,

WORD FOR WORD!

I sent:
Hello - sorry about all the questions, but what is the floor plan of the apartment? Is this a studio apartment, 1 bedroom, etc, and are there other rooms, including kitchen(ette) or living room?

Thanks again,

THEY DIDN'T EVEN SEND ME A FLOORPLAN! I felt really stupid for falling for this...
She sent:
It's a 2 bedroom apartment, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 living room.

I totally regret this, but I sent my info to the scammer:
Thanks so much! So here is my information:

Mailing Address

Cell phone number (although my phone is not working terribly well lately so I miss a lot of calls):

But here's the scariest part:
Hi,
I have sent your info at Move.com.
They will send you an e-mail notification which contains all the instructions to secure the deposit.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you,

and the email supposedly from Move.com!!!!!!!!!!

Move.com® - The leader in online real estate
Note: This email has been automatically generated by Move.com®.
Welcome to Move.com!
Transaction ID - BT33904C55P45
First Step? How it works ?

The owner delivers the package with the keys and contract lease to Move.com agents for full evaluation of content. The package will remain in the company custody until the receiver will send the payment to us.

After verifying the funds, Move.com is ready to ship the package to the designated address.

Note : The funds will not be released under any circumstances. We will hold the payment until you will send us your confirmation that you have received, inspected and you agree to keep the apartment. When we will have your confirmation we will transfer the funds to the owner.

Address Information:

Ship To:

*****deleted my info here*******

Shipper:

First name: NANCY
Last name: HUGHES
Address : 6 Catherine St
City/State: London
Postal Code: WC2B 5JJ

Package Information:

Package Details:

Apartment keys and rental contract verified and signed by the Sender. Owner of the apartment in:
1600 Sand Hill Road Palo Alto, CA 94304
Amount insured:

US $3,000.00 (2/3 will be sent to you at the end of this transaction and 1/3 will be sent to the owner)

Tracking#
BT33904C55P45

Next Step? Complete payment !

Pay with cash ( $ 3000 ) at any Money Gram Office using the Move.com Agent's payment details:

Jackson Little, 60, Camberwell Grove, London, SE5 8RE , United Kingdom

Send us a copy of the payment receipt by email or simply send us the following Money Gram information: Ref #, sender's full name and address, receiver's full name, total amount you've sent.

Emails us the payment details : move-inc@live.com

Send us a copy of the payment receipt by fax : 206-338-6610

Find an Agent location near you. You must go to a Money Gram office with cash and make a Money Transfer to the name and address of our agent.You must complete a form there. You must write there the agent's name, location, amount. You must declare it a personal transfer at the Money Gram office, otherwise you will not be able to send the money.

Money Gram is the only service that has ultimate authentication of the identity of the receiver of funds. The funds will be hold in escrow until you receive the package and confirm that you want to rent the apartment.

Safe Move.com Tip

Currently, the owner has a $10,000 deposit in an Move.com managed purchase protection account. Transactions with this owner are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors.
Move.com repeatedly tries to encourage the other party to respond to a case, but we cannot fully guarantee participation, since the process is completely voluntary. If the respondent does not reply within one week from when the case was initially filed, it is unlikely that you will receive a response and we will close the case and refund you with the entire amount insured by the buyer protection policy valid for your case. If we hear from the other party after the case closes, we will reopen the case and notify you.You are buying from a legit owner so if something goes wrong or you are not satisfied with the apartment you will receive your money back in max 24 hours.

Move.com® Team
http://www.move.com

If you have any queries regarding this message, contact our Move.com Live Help Team.
move-inc@live.com

Copyright © 2009 Move.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Move.com® is a registered trademark of
it's own, Other trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.

AHHH!! SO MADDD!!!!! But no one has gotten any more trouble afterwards if they don't send money right? I was sooo suspicious after they asked for a money gram order to this overseas person. It's so messed up!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Did you notify Move.com that the scammer is using the name of their site? Sometimes when a site finds out that scammers are using their name they will post a warning on their website so that if people go to the site they will then know that it is a scam.

You might want to encourage them to do this.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:20 pm 

rent.com does have a warning on their website about this type of scam, but not very visible on home page, would have to know to click on Security. I contacted them and suggested they make that warning more immediately visible from home page.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:25 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

scamhater wrote:
rent.com does have a warning on their website about this type of scam, but not very visible on home page, would have to know to click on Security. I contacted them and suggested they make that warning more immediately visible from home page.

Good! They need to hear from the people that use their site what people want and need to see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:03 pm 

I'm so glad I googled this! I got the same reply as jessielin98. They're posting in San Francisco now - $750 for a beautiful apt (they included pictures) WITH parking is unheard of. Whew - so glad I saved myself $1500!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:58 am 

OMG I greatly appreciate all the posts listing this scam because I just recently got a similar email and while I was getting very excited about the listing I was worried it was too good to be true. I am always a skeptical person and while I did unfortunately give out my home address, I did not want to do any transactions involving money until I verified the source. Good thing I googled this scam and found out before it was too late. My emails were similar to the ones posted except they've now hit CT. The emails start from the bottom to the top.

Hello,
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, i will be needing your full name and address to pass it onto Rent.com, so they can start the process right away.
Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit 2 months advance rent payment, which is $1,900, to a Rent.com account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. If you decide to rent the apartment, 1 months rent payment will be sent back to you and one month rent will be sent to me. That is how their renter protection policy works. If you will decide to pass and start looking for another place, Rent.com will return you the money, and i will be supporting the service fees.
As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that Rent.com has the possession of the money during the transaction period. That is my insurance.. I require the payment in advance at Rent.com because my time is very limited, I don't want to end up paying Rent.com for this service without any result.
Upon payment is received and verified by Rent.com, an Agent will deliver the keys and rental contract to you in person so you can inspect the apartment. Though I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available.
Hope to hear from you soon,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 19:41:17 -0700
Subject: RE: $950 / 2br - view your future home (Trumbull Street Hartford)
To: simon.baker49@hotmail.com

I would definitely like to know more about the rent.com service. I went onto rent.com but was not able to locate the apartment so possibly I did not know where to look. I am hoping that is still available for a tour once I can contact the right people. I was looking for the right apartment at the right price and I hope this is it!

--- On Sat, 9/19/09, Simon Baker <simon.baker49@hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: $950 / 2br - view your future home (Trumbull Street Hartfor
Date: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 3:12 PM

Greetings,

I moved to London, UK and I've decided to rent this apartment. I'm asking only $950/month with all utilities included because I need a serious and trust worthy person who not only will pay me the rent on time but also will take care and preserve my property.
I'm looking to rent the apartment for six months with an option to renew for another year, but I'm flexible, so please let me know your thoughts.
I decided to rent the apartment through Rent.com, a eBay company, whose service we'll use to carry out the transaction. Rent.com has the possession of all the necessary documents (rental contract, proof of ownership....) and apartment keys. If you want to learn more about how this Rent.com service works, let me know.

Thank you,

I sincerely appreciate this website and hope that everyone who hears something too good to be tru will at the very least try to check it out before they do something they will regret!!

Post subject: Re: craigslist and rent.com scams- Alex Whiff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 am 

I've been scammed by a guy who is very well known in this site. Jamie Alan aka Jared/Pavel Plikc, aka Alex Whiff, et al.... I've hunted him down to a township outside London, UK where there are only 3 Western Unions. He has picked up the money under the name Alex Whiff, so I'm assuming this is the main culprit as he has to provide photo ID to withdraw such an anount. We must ALL contact Western Union with MTCN #'s and ask to speak with their Consumer Fraud Prevention Department. They're not very helpful, but if we innundate them with phone calls, something might come of it. Apprehending this guy should be pretty easy if you live over there (I'm in Toronto). I've e-mailed the local police and await their response. Anyone knowing this guy or having been scammed by him please respond to this. I'll check back in later. I was taken for $3700. I hope no one paid more. Also, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next