There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone else seen this: "PLEASE CAN YOU ASSIST ME?"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:03 pm 

Good Day,

With warm heart, I offer my friendship, my greetings and I hope this matter meets you in good time. My name is ADEL Y. ABU SAMAHA, I'm 16yrs old and the only son of Mr. and Mrs. HASSAN AHMAD SAMAHA from Jordan. My father and I have been living in the U.K. since 1993 when I lost my mother.
I am sincerely seeking your trust and assistance due to the tragedy that occured in the month of April 2007. My father travelled to Iraq for business purpose and became a victim of suicide bombing that took place in the month of April 2007 in Iraq.
My father was a successful businessman before his death, and he maintained a deposit worth about US$8,347,000 in a bank here in U.A.E and here in U.K and I have been contacted by the bank as the next of kin to this deposit.
I am contacting you to help me invest this money in your country. I do not want the money to be kept in this bank for too long a time due to changes in Government policies. I was recently informed/advised by one of the lawyers at the legal department of bank to move the funds out of U.K. due to the new British Prime Minister's policies on terrorist activities in the U.K. Though my father and I are not terrorist, I do not want the government to declare the funds as terrorist funds because of my Nationality. Hence I have contacted you to provide a safe account for the transfer of the funds for investment purpose because I do not have any experience about banking operations.
Presently, I'm a student in one of the colleges in the U.K. and do not have any bank account.
I will be happy to relocate and join you in order to conclude my education in your country.
You will be highly compensated with 25% of the total investment for your efforts. I'm waiting for your immediate reply in order to make contact with the bank. I'm counting on you.

Yours truly,
ADEL SAMAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:27 pm 
Gold Member

This is a scam, and a extremely heartless one at that. Looks like they are trying to use the Iraq war thing against us now.

Some signs of the scam:

1) Piss poor english.
2) 16 year old college student that does not have a bank account, that does not make sense.
3) Father is a sucessful business man but the kid does not know anything about money or banking. This also does not make sense.
4) Contacted you out of the blue to handle tons of money and he does not know you.
5) Does not give an exact date for his father's death in a suicide bombing, this is something I would mention and remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:49 am 

russellj84 wrote:
This is a scam, and a extremely heartless one at that. Looks like they are trying to use the Iraq war thing against us now.

If you think that's heartless wait around a while. Every time I think I've seen the lowest you can go they come up with something even worse. Pictures of dying children, no problem if it makes you think you are donating to a real charity. Pull the plug on your mother's life support so you can come up with the next payment. They won't bat an eye.

Post subject: Thank You for your observations!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:48 am 

Dear russellj84:

I very much appreciate your observations in this matter!!!! :D :D

With High Regards,

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 am 
Gold Member

MattNW wrote:
russellj84 wrote:

If you think that's heartless wait around a while. Every time I think I've seen the lowest you can go they come up with something even worse. Pictures of dying children, no problem if it makes you think you are donating to a real charity. Pull the plug on your mother's life support so you can come up with the next payment. They won't bat an eye.

Oh I am sure there are worse out there, but this is like the third one I've seen here where the scammer is using the war in Iraq in the scam. One of them said he was a US soldier and he found all kinds of gold and needed help getting it out of Iraq. It boggles my mind to think these people are that heartless.

Post subject: Re: Thank You for your observations!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:52 am 
Gold Member

garycpp wrote:
Dear russellj84:

I very much appreciate your observations in this matter!!!! :D :D

With High Regards,

Gary

You are most welcome. I am glad you didn't get scammed.

Post subject: Dear russellj84 - What do you make of this?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:13 pm 

Dear russellj84:

What do you of this?

They are not asking for any sort of prepayment at all! I just do not see how I can get scammed without giving up anything! And the Checking Account that I will use is a fresh one with no money in it!

Thanks,
Gary

Post subject: Re: Dear russellj84 - What do you make of this?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:17 pm 
Gold Member

garycpp wrote:
Dear russellj84:

What do you of this?

They are not asking for any sort of prepayment at all! I just do not see how I can get scammed without giving up anything! And the Checking Account that I will use is a fresh one with no money in it!

Thanks,
Gary

Do you know what they can do with your checking account # alone? Lets just say they can use that checking account # and go through several of those customer check printing companies and make up several books of checks with your information on them and just go crazy with them. There may not be any money in the account but guess what, your name will be all over the place as a worthless check writer. Also, chances are they can get all sorts of other information on you with your checking account information too. I would just leave this alone and not risk getting scammed.

Also just because they haven't asked for money does not mean they won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:39 pm 
Gold Member

To add to what I was saying about what can be done with just a checking account number and routing number read this article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7914159/

Post subject: And guess what russellj84 ...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:57 pm 

Dear Russell:

I must assume that this is your first name :roll:

And, personally, I may be in a more vulnerable position than you! I actually did Prison time in Arkansas for Hot Checks in 1992!

Another charge liek that would DESTROY my life!!!

Thanks,

Gary

Post subject: Re: And guess what russellj84 ...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:13 pm 
Gold Member

garycpp wrote:
Dear Russell:

I must assume that this is your first name :roll:

And, personally, I may be in a more vulnerable position than you! I actually did Prison time in Arkansas for Hot Checks in 1992!

Another charge liek that would DESTROY my life!!!

Thanks,

Gary

Yes my first name is Russell.

The chance of prison time is another reason I would not give out any of your checking account information to anyone. They wouldn't even have to be in the same state as you and could use just your name with a different address and go to town and write out tons of checks and you would never know. they could even write out checks on your account and not have your name or info on there you would never know until you tried to open another account and you had been blacklisted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:39 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Gary,
I have gone back into all of the posts in this thread and removed your last name, email address and the location of where you live . . . that is also some of the information that people are looking for when they want to use your name. If someone wants to email you, all they have to do is click on the email button underneath your post . . . no need to actually post your email address.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Re: Dear russellj84 - What do you make of this?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:41 pm 

garycpp wrote:
Dear russellj84:

What do you of this?

Thanks,
Gary

They will ask for payment. Maybe it will be a customs charge or a fee to activate the account. After a few emails they will bring a barrister into the deal and there's likely going to be a fee for that. Then there's drug clearance fees that have to be paid to document that the money isn't related to illegal drugs. And so on.

Here's a short excerpt of a similar scam that was posted on the net to show how one of these advance fee scams work. The actual thing is much longer and very sad. Monica sold her baby's crib to get money to send to the scammers and eventually ended up homeless. I can't find the link to this anymore. Maybe one of the mods has the link.

Scamming Monica:

Quote:
---------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 08:12
To: xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: Re:HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY THI

dear mr koffi ali . i don 't now .what i have is only ?50 . and i

must live the hole mount whit this . wane come but how i can buy an tikket

?i dont now .

Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 09:30
To: xxxxxx_hoving@none.nl
Subject: WRITE TO THE BANK NOW MONICA.

Dear Monica,

I thank you for your information. How are you now? Hope all is well. Now I want you to inform the bank that you can not be able to come down here now, that you want to send the money to them to reactivite the account by them self.

Monica, now I want you to be arranging money so that we will do this before weekend please. This is denger time to us, You can see that the total amount of the money to reactivite the account is $3863US, so you have to be arranging money now, let me try on my own side ok.

But first, write to the bank now and inform them that you will not be able to come to avoide any problem because we don't inform them our mind now, they might stop our go ahead please write to them am so wick now about this project. Do that and get back to me. God bless you,while waiting for your urgent reply now.

Koffi Ali

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 17:08
Subject: Re:WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO AND WHA

dear mr koffi ali the bank give my nothing .so i have only 200 euro

i have send the bank wat you tolt my to do .and i have send an email to

the attorney .can you give my the fax number of the bank .i dont have that

greatings monica

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 17:44
Subject: WAIT FOR THE BANK RESPOND OK

Dear Monica,

I thank you for what you have been doing to see that this work out for us. Now you have to wait for the bank, any time you hear from them just forward it to me ok. And be trying to get more money so that we will pay the money by monday ok, because I have only $1500US now.

You know that the total amount is $3863US. So you have to get up to 1500EURO, so that we will send that one and tell the bank that the money will be complete before two days of the day we pay that one ok. Just be waiting for the bank response ok. God bless you, while waiting to hear from you sooner.

PLEASE TRY TO GET UPTO 1500EURO SO THAT WE WILL PAY THE MONEY ON MONDAY. IF YOU CAN GET THIS 1500EURO BEFORE MONDAY I WILL COMPLETE THE REMAINING ONE BY MYSELF PLEASE FOR OUR OWN GOOD OK

Koffi Ali

And when that was finally paid some papers needed to be signed and since Monica couldn't come to them they had to pay a barrister to sign the papers. Another unexpected expense.

Quote:
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 09:30
Subject: now money

dear mr koffi ali I DON'T have the money to come in person .I can't

buy some food .I most go out of my house because I can't pay the rent .I

have an lot of problems now . My money that I have in the mounth is 800

euro and my rent is 500 euro .so what I wanne tell you is that I have send

all the money that I had to you . greatings monica

Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 11:09
Subject: WRITE TO THE BANK AND TELL THEM TO GET YOU THE LAWYER.

Dear Monica,

I thank you for your mail. How are you with the Baby? Hope all is well.

My sister Monica, I really know that you have try your best in this transaction, but we can not forget all our effort that we have made already.

Now the bank said that they know another lawyer who will agree to sign the cost of transfer paper. But the lawyer will need money to sign the cost of transfer.

Please my sister I want you to write to the bank and tell them to get you the contact address of the lawyer that you are ready to do anything to have this money transfered into your account.

Again what you are to do after you write to the bank is that you should not spend the money you have so that we will know what the lawyer will need ans solve it so that the bank will transfer this money and by then you will use money from the money that bank transfered into your account to pay all the dept that you have before I will come over to your country to avoide for you to have problem with any of your friend ok.

Try to write to the bank now so that we will see if they can easyly get us the lawyer today so that before weekend we will solve the lawyers problem and have our money please.

Monica, don't worry it is well already as you see that the bank is talking about to sign the cost of transfer which is the paper of transfer ok. God bless you, while waiting to hear from you.

Koffi Ali.

Post subject: Will Keep my Email to Myself ...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:20 pm 

Shawn,

Thank You for your followup, I am such a sucker in this FRAUD stuff, I let my imagination take over usually!

garycpp