Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beware of Nigerian Scam Using The EFCC's name
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:13 pm 
Gold Member

Hello fellow Members!

I want to advise everyone that there is a scam letter going around using the EFCC (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission) name to lure scam victims such as myself. I just received it in my inbox yesterday. It seemed all legitimate but with research I was able to trace the IP address to other scam emails and also the domain name is @hotmail.com. I am disgusted to see the lenghts that these scammers would take to steal from innocent people and also to see they would use the good name of the same organisation that helps put them out of business.

If anyone of you receives this letter please advise me or Shawn. I have forwarded a copy of this email to the EFCC in the hopes of them being able to trace the exact net cafe its been sent out of.

For reference I have pointed out a few things that indicate this is a scam letter:

1 - The domain name is efcc.alert@hotmail.com . A governmental organisation such as the EFCC would have @efcc.org for an email address and not hotmail.

2- The EFCC would not contact you via email. Since I am a victim with all my information with them, they would have called me.

3- If it were a legitimate email, you would be able to see the company letter head and logo clearly stated.

4- The IP address is 83.229.17.9 : Here is the link of the search I made:
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?mkt ... 3.229.17.9

Below is the letter itself for you all to read. Have a good day and stay safe!!

~Sea~

From : Economic and Financial Crimes Commission <efcc.alert@hotmail.com>
Sent : August 15, 2007 10:13:40 AM
To : <sea_maiden_33@hotmail.com>
Subject : SCAMMED VICTIM/BENEFICIARY. REF/PAYMENTS CODE:06654

| | | Inbox

MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Originating-IP: [83.229.17.9]
Received: from bay0-omc2-s26.bay0.hotmail.com ([65.54.246.162]) by bay0-imc1-s36.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2444); Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:13:53 -0700
Received: from BAY144-W36 ([65.55.155.71]) by bay0-omc2-s26.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2668); Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:13:40 -0700
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0zLjQuMDt1cz0wO2k9MDtsPTA7YT0w
X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jE9ed7tLsMlVIoaZWyoDNw7rJac1J+kVaTsrYG/2oBKnOsIXQlDY/oWE2x1RAkg2aYAxqjyLtW+qA==
Return-Path: efcc.alert@hotmail.com
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 15 Aug 2007 13:13:40.0470 (UTC) FILETIME=[190E9160:01C7DF3E]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View E-mail Message Source
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=Windows-1252
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

EFCC HEAD OFFICE
1 IBRAHIM TAIWO ROAD
ASO ROCK VILLA
PMB 166
FCT ABUJA,
NIGERIA

ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION 2007
COMPENSATION PAYMENT
DIRECTOR.
EFCC.

PLEASE HELP US STOP SCAM

ATTENTION:SIR,

SCAMMED VICTIM/BENEFICIARY. REF/PAYMENTS CODE:06654
'
This is to bring to your notice that we are delegated from the United Nations to Eco bank
Nigeria to pay 100 Nigerian 419 scam victims the amount being reeped by Nigerian scammers, you
are listed for this payments as one of the scammed victims,get back to us as soon as possible
for the immediate payment of your compensations payment.

We have made several inquiries and have discovered that you were among those vistims being duped
by Nigerian scammers so we are here to enlighten you and to let you know that the FEDERAL
REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA founded this organisation to fight against cyber crime in our country
(EFCC).

Visit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fLn86Q4wSM

On this faithful recommendations,I want you to know that during the last UN meeting held with
the new president of our country at Abuja,Nigeria, it was alarmed so much by the rest of the
world in the meeting on the lose of funds by various foreigners to the scams artists operating
in syndicates all over the world today known as cyber crime,in other to retain the good image of
the country,the new president of the country is now paying 100 victims of this operators One
after the other if you have only proof that you have once been scammed by a Nigerian, Due to the
corrupt and inefficient banking systems in Nigeria,the payments are to be paid by Eco bank
Nigeria as corresponding paying bank under funding assistance by the National Westminster bank
London.

According to the number of applicants at hand,15 beneficiaries has been paid ,half of the
victims are from
the United States,we still have more left to be paid the compensation with evidence.

Your particulars was mentioned by one of the syndicates who was arrested in Lagos Nigeria as one
of their victims of the operations and we are on the trace of the other person, you are here by
warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to him for any reason what so ever,the US
secret service is already on trace of the criminal.

For more vital information,please visit: http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/news2007.htm You
can receive your compensation payment via any of the both options you choose,DRAFT PAYMENT or
WIRE TRANSFER.

I shall feed you with further modalities as soon as I hear from you to know if you can be able
to come in person to withness your compensation or not.

Note:You will have to send your response to our official bank at: ecobank.plc@k.ro for more
informations over the payment of the compensation being approved by the FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF
NIGERIA.

We appologize once more for being a victim of our country crime.

Yours faithfully,
Mallam Nuhu ,
Executive Chairman, EFCC

Post subject: Re: Beware of Nigerian Scam Using The EFCC's name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:51 pm 

Hello Readers.

I was scammed almost 3 years ago by an extremely crafty man from "Zimbabwe" (yeah right!) and was dumb enough to go to England to help him and his son ... well, the bottom line is that I lost my life savings and am still paying the price. I was, however, lucky to return home still alive. I am now receiving emails from a Mr. Tony Eze who uses a Yahoo address from Italy (.it) and wants a fee from me before sending me a credit ATM card to the tune of $15 Million Dollars. Do these guys ever quit? Well, I sent an email today to info@efccnigeria.org and included a copy of the correspondences I've been receiving and have asked for direction on how to proceed. I also offered to help them catch these criminals any way that I can. Now it's my turn. I'm going to string these guys along for all its worth. I'm keeping the communications flowing as long as I can in the event it's helpful to the Nigerian Government...i.e. if they care at all to do something about this.

Here's a past of his last email...I had challenged him to prove his identity...here's what he offered to me as a reply. Look at the depth of deception this man uses. I will say this, when you use God and Christianity as a cloak for deceiving God's children, believe me when I say that The Bible makes it very clear, if these men do not repent and stop their wickedness, they will pay the greater price. Here it is:
I DON'T HAVE TO BLAME YOU, BECAUSE THIS IS AS A RESULT OF FRAUDULENT ACTIVITIES THAT TRANSPIRED DURING THE LAST ADMINISTRATION OF FORMER PRESIDENT OLUSEGUN OSANJO, THAT IS WHY NOBODY TRUST EACH OTHER AGAIN, BUT I STRONGLY BELIVE THAT BAD NAMES THESE FRAUDSTARS/IMPOSTORS HAVE BEEN GIVING US WILL STOP SOON, BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT ARE WORKING ON IT NOW,

LISTEN AM A MAN OF GOD AND A DEVOTED CHRISTIAN AND A FATHER, FIRST AND FORMOST I CANNOT PLACE MY SELF IN A POSITION WHERE I WILL DECEIVE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. I HAVE MY FAMILY'S NAME AND INTERGRITY TO PROTECT. I HAVE JUST 1-YEAR TO RETIRE FROM THIS OFFICE AND I CANNOT NOW TARNISH THE GOOD IMAGE THAT HAS SUSTAINED ME FOR OVER 20YEARS I HAVE PUT INTO SERVICE.

MOREOVER, I HAVE CHILDREN.....GROWN UPS WHO ARE THEMSELVES ENGAGED IN SUNDRY PROFESSIONS HERE AND OVERSEAS. I WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING THING THAT WILL BRING BAD REPERCUSSIONS ON MY CHILDREN. COUNT ME THEREFORE OUT OF DECEPTION. I SWEAR THAT NOTHING ELSE WILL HINDER THE CONCLUSIVE DELIVERING OF YOUR ATM CARD ONCE YOU PAY FOR THE POSTAGE FEE TODAY ,FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTION THEN CONSIDERS YOUR FUNDS RECEIVED.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO USE THIS MAIL AS EVIDENCE AGAINST ME, IF THE FUNDS DELEIVR FAILS TO MATERIALIZE YOU CAN EVEN NOW GO AHEAD AND SEND THIS MAIL TO THE "ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION (EFCC) OF NIGERIA . ASK THE COMMISSION TO FILE THIS MAIL AND USE IT TO PRESS CHARGES AGAINST ME, SHOULD I GO CONTRARY TO THIS OATH. THE COMMISSION'S EMAIL ADDRESS IS (efcc_police_govzone@yahoo.com ). THE CHAIRMAN IS MR. NUHU RIBADU (ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF POLICE). YOU CAN EVEN TAKE THIS MAIL TO THE INTERNATIONAL PRESS - NEWSPAPERS & TELEVISION TO EXPOSE AND CASTIGATE ME. TAKE MY WORD
AGAIN WE DONT HAVE MUCH TIME ,
PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY DELAY FROM YOU MAY MAKE THE DELEIVER IMPOSSIBLE,

REGARDS,
HON TONY EZE

I must say, I did appreciate his referencing some Nigerian sites and who to contact next ... but I wonder if these websites aren't also fraudulent? I think they expect we'll go to those sites to "check out their story". If you think about it, it's absurd to think that we'd believe that a Minister of the Government would himself sit down and write an "administrative" email.

If they want money from you ... it's a SCAM! It's as simple as that.

The only comfort I have is my faith and knowing that God doesn't turn a blind eye to this kind of wickedness. By their own words they condemn themselves. I only wish there really were some kind of restitution. I can't even write this loss off on my Income Tax return...of course, Income Tax is another major fraud, but I won't go there in this posting.

Thanks and be of good courage. Life is a series of lessons. What matters is that we learn something from our mistakes.

I offered to give him $10,000 if he would just simply pay the small fee on my behalf...but of course, he didn't bother to address this in subsequent emails.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:49 pm 

Norm wrote:
Do these guys ever quit?

In short. No, not if they smell a dollar.

Norm wrote:
I must say, I did appreciate his referencing some Nigerian sites and who to contact next ... but I wonder if these websites aren't also fraudulent?

efcc_police_govzone@yahoo.com There's one clue right there. No government agency in Nigeria or any other country uses @yahoo.com for email service. What you have here is a typical follow up scam. The yahoo.com email is either an account the original scammer has or an accomplice. You check there and they'll say the guy is perfectly legit and to go ahead and work with him and of course you will get scammed again.

Norm wrote:
Well, I sent an email today to info@efccnigeria.org and included a copy of the correspondences I've been receiving and have asked for direction on how to proceed. I also offered to help them catch these criminals any way that I can. Now it's my turn. I'm going to string these guys along for all its worth. I'm keeping the communications flowing as long as I can in the event it's helpful to the Nigerian Government...i.e. if they care at all to do something about this.

That email address is legit (http://www.efccnigeria.org/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=3&Itemid=56) and I wish you well in reporting this but don't hold your breath. Many government agencies and government officials either look the other way or are taking money from the organized scammer gangs to look the other way. Some are even in league with them and support their activities. I read somewhere that internet scamming is the third largest national product of Nigeria. Just behind oil and diamonds.

Engaging the scammers from an email address linked to yourself is extremely dangerous. Not all of them are in Nigeria. They have accomplices all over the world. Make someone angry enough and you could have one at your front door some night or in a dark parking lot on the way home from work and they have been known to kill victims. It's unlikely but not worth the risk. It's best to drop all correspondence with them and if you have given them any personal info like bank accounts or credit card numbers close those accounts immediately and inform your bank that they may be used for fraud. If they have your telephone # and call you hang up or tell them you have reported them to the FBI. Once they learn they won't get any more money from you they will leave you alone.

If you want to keep in touch with the scammers open an email account with Google mail or another email provider who doesn't disclose your IP# and pretend to be someone completely new. I like using outrageous names like Carlotta (Lotta) Titz or Sweaty Sox just for fun. :lol: Just send them an email asking what you need to do and that will get things started. This is called, "baiting" and it's a lot of fun but first learn how to bait safely. Check out http://www.419Eater.com for info on baiting and safe baiting. You might also want to sign up for a mentor. The Eater forum will give you all the info on how to do that. Give 'em hell and bait safely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 am 

Thank you for your words of wisdom and good advice. I've decided that, as of today's emails from the "Hon. Tony Eze" that he's wasting my time and isn't worth it. I told him to keep the money and enjoy it. I wonder how excited he'll get about getting a freebie $15M. I bet he can't contain himself!

Thanks again...I won't bait in the future...I can see how that could be dangerous if these folks are across the globe. You just never know. I appreciate your having mentioned it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:51 pm 

HI, my name is james and i also received these e-mail 2 days in a row. I never open attachments to these e-mails nor do i respond to them!! Good luck finding thesedevilish people who do this type of thing to innocent people!!!!!

Thank You!!!