ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scarry Phone Call
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:40 pm 

I was almost the victim of identity theft yesterday.

My cell Phone rang with a private number. Out of pure curiousity, I answered to a man who claimed to be with the national department of security. He proceeded to inform me that my name appeared on his red flag list at 6 am that morning, along with 14,000 other names. He said it's illegal for solicitors to contact you when you're on a no call list and that he would gladly help me in putting my name/phone on there. Then he said that he would also secure my bank accounts so that I was the only person allowed to make transactions on it. Of course my first reaction was to hang up on him. But he just called back. "This is not a sales call, I'm going to secure your accounts like this department has done for 62.5 million others." Now, he wanted to know the name of my bank. I told him if all this information is out there on me, surely you can just look it up. That made him MAD! Ma'am, this is information requested by my department to insure your safety. Now, whats the name of your bank? I lied, but he believed me and then proceeded to ask me the routing number. I told him to call me right back, that I had to go outside for my checkbook. He said he would, I called the PD, but he never called back, at least not yet. . . I'm prepared for when/if he does, though!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:57 pm 

Wow, that is really weird. Did he have an accent or sound American? Congrats for not falling for it, I would have personally used some foul language, told him I was going to call the cops to have him traced and told him to never thnk about calling me again. Weird he got your personal cell phone number though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:39 pm 

Reann it is important that you write down your caller ID of that phone number. Now if it was a US number even if it was a cellular number I have a friend might be able to do a tracer on it . get the number to meand I will see what I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:52 pm 
I don't know where he got my number. I went thru th whole, "Yeah, I'll buy your car with a cashier's check written for a few thou more than the asking price, and you can western union me the rest!" ordeal (I was wise to that one to, after the check arrived.)a few months back, so maybe that guy sold my info to this guy under the pretense that I fell for that scam. Who knows!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:16 pm 

If you fall for a scam they circulate you around as a positive target. If you dont fall for it you still get passed around to see if one of their closeknit group can take a stab at getting you to bow and send money.

Either way once they got your number they got it and will try and try and try to get you to fork over cash.

They are sub human wastes of the world and they have no shame about their illegal and devious ways. They do not care that they are ruining innocent people's lives or stealing from elderly , they are lower than a flea in my book.

Post subject: Reporter... looking to hear more about your experience...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:16 pm 

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience... and hope you are fairing well....

I am a reporter with FRAUD SQUAD TV, a documentary series that will air on COURT TV this Fall. The program is focussed on informing other people about the types of frauds that occur today, as well as providing tips and resources to both prevent others from becoming a victim and offer support to those who become victimized by a fraudster.

I would be interested in speaking with you further about your experience and possibly arrange an interview. Because our show deals with sensitive material and stories, identities can be hidden during on camera interviews.

If you wish to speak further, please let me know and I can provide my contact information at that time.

Thank you in advance for your time and response.