ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ATM SCAM SIGNS
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:51 am 
If the person is from another country and they say that they are not allowed to have seperate bank accounts so they want to deposit money, do not do it. Also they will email you asking for your phone number and then your atm checking account. They say they need a safe account to deposit this largew sum of money into, do not even respond. Nobody is just going to want to deposit millions of dollars into your account and let you keep however much it is. This is the email address that wrote to me vinoladele@hknetmail.com, spread the word of this address or you can write back and tell him off;) I just think that the worst thing to do to people is to deceive them and make them feel that there is something that will help them so much if they are in dire need of financial support. I just wrote this to let people know what to watch out for, thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:18 am 
Gold Member

Just to make sure I'm clear on this-

Are scammers posting signs at ATMs asking for 'help'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:27 pm 

Some are attaching card readers to the door of the bank that you use to acess when it is closed and a camera to film the pin number being entered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:32 pm 

I guess I have a few questions as to how this would work. Sounds pretty high tech and well organized to be able to pull something like this off.

What would be the signs to look for that the reader is not the banks card reader? It seems to me it must be well out of place to the real reader that controls the door latch. Or do they only place them on the doors that don't have outer door locks at night? I know most of the local banks here in Alaska lock and the only way in to the ATM is with your card.
It would be helpful to know what to look for. As a contractor, I pay a lot of my crew off in cash, so use the ATM's often. I most definitely want to know what to look for. :)

Timc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:22 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

PABanker wrote:
Just to make sure I'm clear on this-
Are scammers posting signs at ATMs asking for 'help'?

I have heard of an ATM scam where the scammers place their own "touch" screen and card reader over the top of the one that is already on the ATM machine. Then they put a sign on the ATM that tells the user that "we are trying out a new system, so please be patient if there are any problems with your transaction". Then the person at the ATM would swipe their card and enter thier PIN number, and a message would come up on the screen saying that the transaction cannot go through, so they would go to another ATM. But the scammer's fake screen and card reader have recorded all of the info, so now they can go and take money out of their account.

Yes, it is very high tech . . . best way to avoid it is to never use a ATM that has a sign on it about a new system, or if an ATM that you have used before looks different, don't use it. I have heard of it happening in Chicago . . . mostly at ATM's that are not in a high traffic place, since it would be harder to get the fake screen/card reader attached to one in a place like a busy shopping mall.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:28 pm 

I guess when it comes to ATM's other than here in Alaska I'm dumb as a post, but doesn't the real ATM camera record all this going on? All the ATM's here have cameras on them, even the ones in the gas stations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:29 pm 
Gold Member

Again, I have to emphasize the importance of choosing bank owned ATMs over others. While bank owned ATMs are not immune to the PIN pad/card reader setup, they are far less vulnerable for two reasons:
They are stocked and maintained more often (especially ATMs that accept deposits.)
The surveillance is typically better (especially ATMs at bank branch locations.)

Post subject: ATM Signs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:20 am 

This one is interesting, because if you think about it there is a lot of coordination that would have to go into pulling this off.

1. The location would have to be that the criminals could work on the machine without attracting attention.

2. They would have to have access to some kind of power supply. Either somehow tapping into the electricity of the machine itself, or getting to the power supply of the building the machine is installed in. Unless there is somekind of portable source of power (like a battery unit).

3. Isn't there some way to find out who the manufacturers are of the devices and try to track down the criminals that way? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:03 pm 

I watched a story on Dateline on this type of scam about a month of 2 ago..
You don't need any sort of license to buy an ATM, you simply need the cash to buy and to pass a credit check.
Most buildings are managed by some other facility, in other words many buildings have several tenants and the managing facility isn't always located in the building - therefore someone installing an ATM doesn't look suspicious, as most people in a building just work there.
This story was just amazing, a reporter actually went and bought an ATM, had someone set it up in a vacant lobby and pretty soon, people were using it. Not only that they installed a "card cleaner" next to the maching, people walked up to it and scanned their card thinking it was cleaning the maganetic strip, really it was a device to capture the card number and expiration date!
They simply advise that you do everything at your bank, ATM's are fine as long as they are "bank owned" and even some of those you have to watch, I am not sure why they haven't implemented some sort of law that only financial institutions can buy ATMs.....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:45 pm 
Gold Member

HI Sunray,
I guess the financial institutions are going to have to re-vamp their ways of doing business. Scammers are really good at using technology and each innovation makes them more eager to find out how to break into it for the cash return.
Sad to say, but we all have to be twice as diligent and a little paranoid in order to protect our credit, cash and financial investments.
I guess the days of the science fiction iris scan, voice print, fingerprint etc. identificaction will become a general reality before we know it.
No bank cards- just your eyeball, please.
Want to guess how long it will take the scammers to overcome that too?
Churchmouse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:57 pm 
Gold Member

Quote:
I am not sure why they haven't implemented some sort of law that only financial institutions can buy ATMs.....?

I wish it were that easy.

Unfortunately, no machine is completely immune to tampering. But see my earlier post for reasons to use bank owned machines located at bank branches.

Also on the subject, skimming goes beyond devices attached to machines. Fraudsters have been known to use handheld skimmers as well. A few years ago, scammers in this area had gotten jobs as waiters and waitresses, and used these skimmers quite extensively. The key to avoiding this scam is to walk your credit/debit card to the register yourself, rather than sending it off with the wait staff.

Post subject: getting an ATM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:12 pm 
Yes, it's very easy to obtain an ATM. I recently opened a Gas Station and all I had to do was apply & then pick it up...

Only thing you really need to do is keep a minimum of 3,000$ in there... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:56 am 

I don't want any of you to be pissed at me, but I recently was raided for doing stuff of this nature.

I learned my lesson and I now help the FBI *Tampa Division* in florida catch people doing this.

If any of you need help with anything that has to do with Credit card fraud, check fraud, atm fraud, etc I am more then whilling to help.

I just found this forum tonight so I will start posting things to watch out for. There are many more scams out there then what is posted on this site.

--------------

When I was into this I was about 18, I was stupid, and was to smart for my own good.

The new techniques are getting harder and harder to find.

Back when I use to do it, we would make molds of an atm/gas pump/etc and then have a plastic replica that would fit over the atm/gas pump installed.

When a customer would swipe there card, of course it would work, but the data was also stored in the device (ta32) is the device we used, of course it was just the basic parts and was modified to fit into the plastic mold.

While most consumers are trying to stop this, it is going to be very hard because there are new ways to do this that are coming out everyday.

My best advice to you the customer, is to never let your card out of site when going to a restraunt. If an atm/gas pump/etc looks like it has been messed with, then it probably has. Some "skimmer" devices that are moulded onto an atm/gas pump/etc are almost impossible to detect, as they are made to look like a part of the machine.

IF you go up to an atm/gas pump/etc and you have a bad feeling about it, find where the card is swiped, and give it a tug. If its part of the machine (made by the manufacturer) it will not budge. Most atm skimmers/gas pump skimmers are not attached very well as there is really no way to attach them so that they are unmoveable by a big yank.

If you do not want to mess with them, contact the police and the owner of the atm/gas pump.

If you guys have any other questions, please feel free to pm me, I will try to help any way that I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:17 pm 

Heretohelp..... we are glad you are honest about the mistakes you made in the past, we appreciate you working with the FBI on these problems which they are only getting worse by the day.

Speaking as a fruad victim advocate I personally appreciate contact with people in a position to teach me how they do these things, this gives me better insight into how to decipher what happened to the victims that I work with.

I too am in Florida but about 4 hours from you to the east.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:54 pm 
If any of you have ANY questions about any type of fraud whether it be Credit Card/Cashier check/bank fraud/scam or "phishing" page fraud please ask me. I can give you inside advice on how to deter and to prevent this from happening to you or a family member.