ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 Fraudulent Checks - Stolen/Altered & Counterfeit- Cana
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:39 pm 
We have lost almost $18 K to two fraudulent checks from the same group of scammers. In late January 2005, I started receiving vague e mails about "working for my company." This scam is the "Payment Officer." I have seen similar episodes on this message board. On February 12, a check was delivered to my home by US mail. It was from a coating and sealants company in Manitoba. They were supposedbly paying me for receivables due to Alpha Import and Export. The check wsa held for ten days by my bank. I followed instruction and wired out 90% of the amount to the U.K. to three individuals who supposedly were employees of AIE. The money was said to be for air fare from UK to Australia.

In mid May, the check was returned to my bank as "collection of materially altered cheque." This check was stolen, and bleached and the payee changed to my name. It was in transit almost 90 days to and from Canada.

In late March, another check arrived which would turn out to be counterfeit. This one was delivered by UPS. Had the banks in Canada worked quicker, I would have been aware of the scam and not taken a second check. My experiences with my bank are very similar to the other victims. The funds were made available to me the next day, though I questioned this repeatedly. I had wire out $10K by bank transfer to a well known Bank of Japan. My bank was aware of the counterfeit item within twenty four hours of the wire transfer , but insisted that they could do nothing, as it was a guaranteed payment. They did attempt to two reversal requests on my behalf. The party in Japan claimed that it was an honest debt and refused. I asked my bank to either do indemnification of the money or share the loss with me. They refused. I have since been told that Japn does not allow indemnification and found two other people who sent money to Japan.

I called the Secret Service when I thought the total loss was $10 K. They told me that there was little that they could do and to contiinue pursuing it with the banks. Apparently, they were not aware of the indemnification law either.

These two episodes went on for three months, which to this point, is the worst event of my life. I suffered panic attacks and major depression in the weeks following. I am taking AD's now which help tremendously. If anyone has any suggestions to offer, please post . I am wondering if law enforcement in Canada is awareof any of this. The perpetrators had "Halifax, NS" and "Montreal, Quebec" on my caller ID, yet the stolen and alatered checked originated in western, Canada. I wrote letters repeatedly to my bank asking for help. I was basically ignored, as my husband made up the first loss as soon as we were aware that I had been scammed. I also contacted the State Attorney General.In this state, they do not regulate banks, but referred me to the state agency that does. These people sincerely tried to help me , but could not convince the bank to take part of the loss (based on the laws in place when the account was opened.) I am talking with the Federal Reserve now, as they do regulate the US branches of both banks. They have told me to contact the Secret Service. Suggestions....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:13 pm 
Sorry to say I received fraudulent checks from Canada also and when I contacted the secret service I got the sorry but if it didn't originate in the United States there is not much I can do. It is the same run around most others have faced when trying to right the wrongs that are committed by these scumbags. Please tell everyone you know of your experience and direct them to this site. It may be embarassing to admit the mistakes we have made but better to be embarassed then to sit back and keep quiet while these scumbags pull the same on someone you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:31 pm 

First of all the Secret Service is out of the picture on these scams, it has been handed back over to the FBI from all that I am being told. If you have not lost 40k or more there wont be an investigation. Again I state as I have in the past, with the average cost of a full blown investigaiton going into the 6 figures per case there is NO way that the government will initiate such an investigation if there is a very high liklihood of them ending things without an arrest.