ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: paying back the bank after scam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:14 pm 
Hello, like many of you here I too have been a victim of counterfeit USPS money orders. In short, my bank account is -$6000 due to the fake money orders. I have been talking to a really nice girl at my bank (washington mutual) and I've explained that I am newly graduated with thousands of dollars in educational loans and I cannot afford to pay back the money that I "owe" the bank. She told me that after 45 days the bank will automatically close my account and put me on the checks system. While on the checks system I will not be able to open an account at any bank for 5 years (but possibly could open one at a credit union) and obviously the closing of an account will have a negative effect on my credit report. Have any of you run into this delima? For me it seems like I would be willing to sacrifice possibly not having a bank account and a bad credit report for a few years... am I missing something that I should be thinking about? Please give me any kind of insight to this situation. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:42 pm 

True they will blackball you in Check Systems and you will have a hard time getting an account, I just personally said Phooey to you banks, I dont need your stinking accounts and went to putting my money on a pre paid credit card, of which I use for my general expenses. The best on I have yet found is the one Radio Shack has called the Green Dot card. cost is like 9.95 for the initial card, and 4.95 to load it each time but there is no per transaction fees when you use it.

There are ways to get around having a bank account if it gets that bad.

Post subject: Banks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:40 am 
I am a victim of fraudulent checks also. Fortunately, I had accounts at other banks (long standing).One thing that we have learned from this ordeal is that it pays to do business with more than ONE bank. If "push comes to shove" the bank witl SHOVE YOU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:58 pm 

Yeah it isnt good to try and start over when blackballed within check systems.

I am glad that you didnt have to deal with that at least.

Post subject: Re: paying back the bank after scam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:38 am 

vajackson wrote:
While on the checks system I will not be able to open an account at any bank for 5 years (but possibly could open one at a credit union) and obviously the closing of an account will have a negative effect on my credit report.

Hi,

Oddly enough, once Evil WaMu reported me to ChexSystems, I could open an account at another bank (Compass Bank), but not a credit union. I've been trying to rebuild my credit and my finances, and part of that plan involves getting an account at a local CU, so I can get a decent mortgage soon.

They wouldn't open a checking account yet because of Evil WaMu's report. They did open a savings account for me, though. :)

Good luck!
Ariel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:59 pm 
If you guys are having trouble opening an account go to Hibernia, they do not use Chex Systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:01 pm 

Ha! I wish I'd gotten that advice last week. :)

Thanks, if get a hard time from the CU, I'll go over to Hibernia.

Ariel