ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Im about to do something stupid.... need advice!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:16 am 
i know you guys are really gonna bash me for this, but I am going to be receiving a fake money order in the next couple days. i am REALLY hard up for money right now.. i need about $500 in the next 5 days to pay a debt. in about a month, ill have plenty of money.. im starting a new job.

im considering cashing the money order.. the money order will be for $3500 and im just going to deposit $3000 and cash the $500.

since the bank will obviously know im not trying to scam them since i just took 500, do you think i could get into legal trouble? i really can pay that $500 within the next 3 or 4 wks.

but is there any chance of the police or anyone coming to my house or anything like that? i know this is stupid but i REALLY have to pay this debt quick or im in big trouble. i feel like this is my only way out.

please advise. whats the worst legal trouble i could get in here??

Post subject: Im about to do something stupid.... need advice!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:22 am 
Yes, you run the risk of arrest and prison if you go ahead with what you plan to do. Contrary to what you believe, the bank WILL think you are trying to scam them, because you have presented them with a fake money order that you know to be fake - you will not have leg to stand on.

Don't do it!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:48 am 
I second that "maninthestreet" the bank's will not see it as a misstake . You will be in trouble no matter how you put it with the bank . And this money order may not even get that far if they really look at it . Your going to have to deal with your problem another way . Unless you want to go to jail ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 pm 
i havent read every post, but it doesnt seem anyone here has gone to jail bc they got scammed. they just have to pay back the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:31 pm 

Guest, I hate to be so blunt but don't be in your own words "stupid"! If YOU knowingly cash a counterfeit check you can go to prison for fraud, it is plain and simple. People have been lucky because they unknowingly cashed a fraud check and the authorities did not press charges! If they find out you knew (through a lie detector or what not...) you will go to jail. Not to mention just walking into the bank and trying to cash that check puts you at risk, many have been arrested just for trying to cash a check that did not know was fake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:03 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

guest4545 wrote:
i havent read every post, but it doesnt seem anyone here has gone to jail bc they got scammed. they just have to pay back the bank.

Well then KEEP READING! There are plently of victims of this scam who have spent a couple nights (or more) in jail because the bank thought that they were in on the scam!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:32 pm 

DO NOT CASH that money order, first of all anyone at a bank that has half of a brain will know that Money Orders have a limit on them and 3500.00 is definately way out of that limit. You risk big time going to jail for Fraud, and that is a place you do not want to go.

By cashing that money order knowing that it is fake you are committing FRAUD yourself plain and simple and noone can help you other than an attorney at that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:54 am 
Definitely not a smart thing to do...

Although this reminds me of maybe 10 years back when a guy knowingly cashed a fake check that was sent to him.

You remember the chceks that would be for some large amount of money like $250,000 and weren't intended to be cashed... just a form of advertisement.

I bet you could still find the story on the Internet, I don't remember exactly what happened, but I could have sworn he was able to keep the
money.

Oh well. Not trying to persuade you into doing this. You would be seriously at fault here knowing exactly what you are doing vs. others who have thought the checks were legitimate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:03 pm 

Guest- I know the story you are refering to, and he did not keep the money, but he had a pretty strong case, actually at the end he had to pay money to close his account with that bank because they no longer wanted him.
The link is here.... http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_s ... &page_id=4

I would have to say this is different, as it was a check sent to his via direct mail and he did this to prove a point, plus he never touched the money he kept it in a bank security box....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:12 pm 
well i didnt cash it. i threw it away..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:22 pm 

Guest good thing you threw it away, I hope you shredded it first so noone else gets their hands on it.

Yes people have gone to jail , I for one never cashed the checks sent to me but was arrested and charged with Grand Theft 3rd degree. It took 2 years and thousands of dollars in legal fees to get it dropped to a misdemeanor Tresspassing charge. Which I still think is total BS but sure as hell beats jail for 5 yrs for something I didnt do.