ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Story and Advice needed (also posted in Other Scams Sorry!!)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:41 pm 

Hi everyone, I am new to this message board but I am thankful that I found it before I made any serious mistakes.

I do need some insight into a situation. (this may be a bit lengthy)

Here is the story...

Two weeks ago, I signed up with alibaba . com, and have received numerous emails about receiving commision on payments accepted on behalf of companies. After receiving my first email I thought wow, this is great and I responded letting the party know that I will surely be their "payment agent". In the back of my mind I had my doubts and I figured that its worth a shot. However my suspicions on any fradulent activity grew when I would receive duplicate emails from the same company but from different email addresses, and also duplicates when I had already responded to them. I figured that it was probably a mistake and proceeded to continue with any business dealings that I encountered. So far I am now a so called official payment agent for 5 companies.

Now here is what convinced me further to watch these activities

I was instructed to call a person to collect payment. I was given a number, and before I called it I put a search on the number only to discover it was from an area code in Canada. I talked to the person who sounded African, and he said payment will be sent to me shortly.

(At this time I kept a log of every conversation, phone number, company & their associates etc.) I did this because I figured I do not want to get any so called clients mixed up since the number of clients seemed to be growing.

So here I am, I have contacted 3 clients who owe these companies money. As I spoke to each one I became more suspicious.

Here is where it gets a little interesting

here are the names of each of the clients who owe money

1. John Blaze (my intial thought there is a rap artist (Method Man) who also goes by this name, how familiar) (number location Nova Scotia Canada)

2. James Williams (my initial thought: very good name wow, sounds like he could be somebody) location (Ontario Canada)

3. John Baz (my intial thought: Wow, very close to John Blaze too close keep an eye on this one.) (location Montreal Canada)

4. Dr. Bradley (intial thought: another promising client, he shouldnt hesitate in making his payments) (location Seattle Washington)

5. John Baz (for the second time (intial thought: wait, don't I have this guy on my list already, wow he must owe people a lot of money)

And there is also Ariel Software by introtrieve, whose clients are to contact me (initial thought boy wasnt this one easy, I don't have to call anyone)

Now I called each client (who weren't immediately available so I left messages to return my calls). I spoke to one on Wednesday, and another the following day, and Another On Friday. So I continue trying to contact clients that I was unable to reach.

Here is the convincing point, that something was up.

I received a call that following Monday from John Baz whom I never got a chance to speak to. And now to my surprise. Why did i find that two separate clients sounded exactly alike. Uh oh, whats going on here.

So I spoke to John Baz, and he asks for my name, and I tell him, assuming that the company forwarded to him my information as a payment officer. Then he responds by saying, "I told you that the money will be mailed out this week". (red flag alert) Then he proceeds in saying you are the payment agent for HMART.... and I said yes, "but I am calling you for something else. Then he says "well when the first payment goes through then you can call me regarding the other payment. At this time I am like hell no what kind of BS is this? I asked for a payment from John Baz, and he responds as if he is James Williams, clearly something is up. He spoke to fast to realize his mistake. He was trying to claim different identities, but became confused when I gave him my name, because I had spoked to him previously on different business. But anyway, I referenced my notes, and like I said I have 2 sets of non related payments to be collected from John Baz, who in turn has two different phone numbers but the same area code and prefix. I thought to myself "wow" three different phone numbers, two different names but still the same person. So now I know something is up here. As of now that was the last time I spoke to anyone in regards to sending payments. I have 2 so called payments on the way. Since I was skeptical from the beginning they are being sent to an address that i visit often but is not mine.

I will keep an eye out for this

In addition to that I have received a check yesterday (my first check) from a so called customer of Ariel, which is another story, and how I know this is a scam. I will share that later. But I just want to thank the creaters and contributors of this site becuase if I wasn't so skeptical on the methods these scam artists use I probably would be out a few grand by next week.

I would also like to thank search engines for finding sites like this for me.

Now my only question is what do I do next, can someone point me in the appropriate direction to deal with this. I have more to share but I think this is enought typing for now, I will wait for any responses before I get into the rest of my story on Ariel, and a bank account that i own that I keep EMPTY. ( I will need advice on that)

And Yes I know the checks are false........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:59 pm 

Well the good news is, you caught onto this and found out it was a scam before too late. The bad news is, the Secret Service is knee deep in these and if not money has been lost they will add it to their already growing pile of these scams, never to be touched again. Not much more advise I can give you, I wish there was....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:15 pm 

Alibaba has an abuse dept send them a formal complaint and list the email addresses , names, company names anything you have on the people who tried to scam you, their accounts will be shut down.