There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Am i being tricked
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:56 am 

I have my playstation2 and gamecube on craigslist this guy emails me with this

Hello, I got your item from criagslist I am interested in the immediate purchase of this item rightaway. I will be paying using western union postal money order.I am buying it for my grandson who is out of town at the moment........ Please email me your full name and address and your telephone #.......to send the money order to. Also let me know the total cost item. Please reply ASAP.

I said
can you use anything else than bidpay?

He said
i can also pay with paypal

I said :what about a regular check that will work best for me! or cash.

He Said:
yeah..what am paying you with is also a cheque..its call postal money order..i have been using it for years and its very safe,faster to receive and easiest way....its even better than paypal...let me know which one you will prefer ASAP..So that i can make the payment rightaway..
Thanks

he asks me to get on YIM so we can chat instead of the long time it takes for emails i said ok so we chat he give me a telephonbe # to call him but it is disconnected i said whay is that he said when im gone i turn it of i said so how are you talking to me now he is like office i said where do you live he was all i live in brooklyn new york and he gave me his adress. The thing is postal money order says i have to ship the item before they issuse payment is that true? i am a kid and need the money and i think im being scammed.

Post subject: Am i being tricked?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:16 am 
Yes, it is quite likely you are betting set up to be scammed.
Only accept Western Union money transfer, not money order.
That way, you will have the money in your hand before shipping the goods. With WU money order, you will get an email apparently from WU stating that the money from the buyer is available, but will only be paid to you after you have supplied a tracking number for the despatch of the goods. Ater you despatch the goods, you find the email is bogus, and there is no money to collect.
Do not accept checks (they will bounce some time after the check has apparently 'cleared' and appeared in you account). Do not accept paypal either - the buyer will probably use a stolen credit card, or will reverse the payment once he has the goods, claiming either they never turned up
or were 'not as described'

Hope this helps