There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car Buying Scam, Yahoo Auto. Dustin Hickman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:59 pm 

Hello,

I just recently foiled a scam and wish to share my info. Classic Cashiers check scam (over the amount, please forward balance thru Western Union) bla bla bla. Anyhow they were a car broker in Canada, and the shipper was in Houston, Tx. These are the players:
Dustin Hickman Toronto Canada
Jeff Wesley Houston Texas
Don Johnson Houston Texas
George Buck, England.

Anyhow, I suspected a scam about 5 days into it, but led this Dustin Hickman guy on for 10 days, telling him I already sent the money Western Union to his shipper and procurment agent, I mean I really lead him on, he even called me 2 times for western union verification. I even told him I went to borrow money from my retired mother to send the money again and when things settle, for him to western union the double payment back. I droped the bomb on day 10. Boy was he fumed!!!! Anyhow I don't mean to make light of this as some of you here are paying dearly for you mistakes, I only wish to share this because I really stuck it to him. Please email me for any info you may need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:49 am 
Your awsome ..... :lol: Good job . Now go to 419eater.com and join the rank's of other baiter's . There's a whole world of scammer's out there to be baited . Keep up the good work . :D

Post subject: i have a fake check- trying to lead them on
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:51 am 

I currently have a fake cashiers check. I read about the overpayment scam on a website luckily just in time so I did not fall victim. I took about a month for the check to come and so now I have reported it to the police and the bank verified the check to be false.

I am pissed off although I have not lost any money, I lost time on selling my car and ended up having to wholesale it and not getting very much for it at all. Mostly I am pissed because others are loosing a lot of money.

I reported this to the police Sept 26th and have not heard back from them. They said that they will forward it to a detective, I have tried calling 2 times to get an update but nothing. The police say they usually can't do much about it cause the criminals are out of the country.

I however have 2 addresses in Texas (The criminals are supposedly in Ontario Canada). Why can't the police just set up a sting and handcuff the assholes that come to pick up the money at the Western Union???????

I am holding them off to give the police time and want to try to cause as much pain to them as possible letting them think they have a large sum of money coming.

Any Ideas- Who to contact other than police?

Post subject: Re: i have a fake check- trying to lead them on
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:15 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

houseofmeat wrote:
I have 2 addresses in Texas (The criminals are supposedly in Ontario Canada). Why can't the police just set up a sting and handcuff the assholes that come to pick up the money at the Western Union????????

Most likely, they are just using the Texas address. They might not be there or the address might not even really exist. When we were scammed we called the police in the town that was on the return address of the package the check came in. The police told us that they got a couple of calls a week reporting fraud with that addresses, and it is not even a REAL address.

When we used the FedEx tracking number to see where the package had actually come from it tracked back to a town just outside of London before it came to the US.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:26 pm 

I figured that any address they did give was fake. But at some point in time if they think they have money coming they will want to pick it up.

Wouldn't the police be able to wait for them at the western union when they come to pick up their money?

I am unfamiliar with western union- Can they transfer the money from Texas to Canada without being present? Or do they have to have someone go pick up the money at a western union in texas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:07 pm 

houseofmeat-
To answer your question, Western union employees will do about anything for these criminals for a price, so I would say if you talk to the right employee they will send money from anywhere to anywhere and allow anyone to pick up the money, I have read several cases in which people had a "code word" that was to be provided at the WU office and the WU employee gave the crooks the money without getting the code word (but I am sure they got a nice tip). WU sucks, they are not friends of victims - they help scammers.
Secondly, have you looked through this site and read any of the "fake" job postings that you find on monster.com or jobs.com etc, often times these scammers will "hire" unknowing US citizens to send and pick-up packages for them, people respond to these looking for some extra cash and get caught up in the scam, so your person in Texas could be a person that responded to one of these ads, and picked up the money, then wired it to Nigeria (to make it look like the person you were dealing with was actually in the US- more valid). Or, some of these scammers are working here in the US. There are so many twists and turns a scam can take, it is very frustrating!!!

Post subject: Canada Scheme
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:34 pm 

I had much of the same thing happen to me. Someone emailed me about 5 times about my car and then eventually game me some information about being from Canada and in the same email dropped the overpayment scheme. I wasn't overly worried about Canada, because all of the scams seem to be from countries in Africa and I felt like we had a relationship...what happens to many, I think. Anyway, for about 1 day I went along with it, I really wanted to sell my car, but then realized the mistake I was making. I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of this "lady," but yesterday the check for $14000 arrived in the mail. I don't have an address to send it back to. I have contacted my local police dept. who told me if I keep the check I can be held responsible if she doesn't get the car, the State of Kansas, who told me it was a matter for the FBI. I contacted the FBI, but as you all know, you are supposed to submit the complaint over the internet. I have done everything in my power to make this woman stop, but she keeps coming back! I have now blocked her emails, but I am skeptical of her persistence. Any suggestions??? The check was from Wells Fargo, so I suppose I should contact them as well, I just want this to end! I have another person to buy the vehicle, but I don't want to have an issue later...AAAAHHHH!!! This is ridiculous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:24 pm 

cltedro-
You know what is ridiculous? Your local police dept. that's what! I can't believe that they are telling you if you hold onto this FAKE check that you could be held responsible if she doesn't get the car, this just cracks me up! Actually it is the funniest thing I have heard all day. So what did they propose you do, go try to cash it and get arrested in the process? Here is what you do, keep the scammer blocked but you contact them one more time via email, tell them you took the check to the bank and they laughed at it! Tell them they passed it onto the Secret Service and you will no longer be contacting them and you no longer want to hear from them. They won't waste anymore time and money on you, they will look for someone else.... good luck.

Post subject: thank god for sites like this
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:54 pm 

I think im dealing with a scammer.. and boy is it fun! I swear once you realize (or have reason to believe) you are being taken advantage of the ball is in your court. I have been dealing with a guy who is "in England" lol and was more than willing to issue me an $8,500 check for my car (marked on CL for $3500) The excess was for his "shippers and personal buyer". I would seriously like to meet the person who has a personal shopper, buys their own stuff online, and never has a return address on the envelope sent to me check included (although it does say it came from london). It says the check was sent two days before i got it (about 2 weeks after we had started talking) and now all of a sudden he needs his $$ for his shippers (which really shouldn't be the responsibility of the seller anyways) ASAP. I called FTC and reported them, explaining my situation carefully and asking what to do, they suggested I:

1. Call the bank it came from to check routing #
2. Take it to my bank to have it checked out (not the most secure way)
3. Take it to the post office so they can know about the mail fraud going on, something that will land quite a hefty fine upon the fraudulant bastard!

Something that made me question the cashiers check immediatelly was where you endorse it, it was a pixilated line which looks more like it was typed and then printed with a printer that is out of ink. (and it is crooked) Another issue was how it came with Taylor's name on it rather than Silvers when it supposedly came from England... and the Bank is based in Chicago Illinios... doesnt make much sense!!

I am going to deal with him more to get a feel for how these people work, I am hoping to bait him into saying something i can really have fun with :twisted: the poor fool!

The guy I have been dealing with goes by the name Mark Silver and like I said, I am farily certain he is trying to scam me but have no real evidence of the fact save the check which i still have to have checked out. According to him his associates go by Steve Taylor and Martins Jones, so if you see these names well... just be wary..
I hope this may have helped somebody, but if it doesnt atleast it provides a semi-entertaining novel with a (hopefully) good ending.

Post subject: Mark Silver
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:43 pm 

I'm selling a van on Craigslist Denver and I've been cantacted my "mark Silver" as well. He's offered to overpay with a money order and wants me to pay the shipper (he's in the UK, he says). Clearly we have a scammer on our hands and I'd like to learn more. If anybody else is dealing with this guy (or has in the pass) please email me at jrrouse@hypocrisy.org.

Thanks

Post subject: Mark Silver scam
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:07 am 

I was contacted this past weekend from Mark Silver also. I posted a van for sale on craigslist Dallas. He brought up the same overpayment scam.

His email is maker_paker@yahoo.co.uk

His last email said this :

Thanks.My client will send payment which will be more than the cost price.I will want you to deduct the cost price from the payment and then send the remaining funds to my shippers who will come for pickup.The reason for this is because my client is willing to pay only by a cashier or money order and my shippers are in the UK and will not be able to cash the payment(this will take weeks).
I can assure you that all is well and my shippers will be responsible for shipping.
If okay by you get back to me with the payment details and will forward then to my client asap.
Mark.

Post subject: Yahoo! Autos scam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:39 pm 

This scam is still alive and well! I just had a guy trying to buy my Mini Cooper from London under the name Steve Davids. Gave me a company name, address, phone number, everything.
Steve Davids,
Steve Automobiles Ltd.,
320 Grays Inn Road,
London WC1X8DD,England.
office ph #+44 -7031909131
cellph# +44 -7040131453 / Fax NO;+44-87-0912
steve_davids09@yahoo.com
Claimed his client's son in Canada wanted it, he would send me a cashier's check for x amount over the asking price (the whole refund check scam). I was to send the difference to his agent via Western Union for shipping and transfer costs, and the agent would arrange for pickup. Luckily I researched online and found these postings before continuing with the transaction. I knew it seemed too good to be true and was leery to sell internationally. I am so glad I found this website and you guys have saved me a lot of pain and disappointment! Can't thank you enough!!!

Post subject: lol...Same Scam Different Name
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:26 pm 

I got the exact same scam but different name. Even the deadgum phone numbers are the same. Below is the actual email...How funny!!!

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 06:05:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: CONFIRM PAYMENT / PICKUP ARRANGEMENT..ASAP TODAY.

Greetings from England!!!

Thanks for your time , effort and anticipated cooperation .... I am happy to inform you that I have concluded with my client after explaining your detailed information and vehicle full description . He has instructed me to carry on with the transaction,he said that i should inform you that payment will get to you in a Cashier Check of $19,630USD drawn in any of the AMERICAN BANKS which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

Due to the company's policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you because the company's policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of your vehicle $11,200USD when payment gets to you and refund balance $8,430USD to my customer's shipping agent via western union money transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to THE PICKUP AGENT ,our agent will come for the pick up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via a courier service to my customer.

ATTENTION;

MY CLIENT JUST INSTRUCTED THAT YOU SHOULD NOT PREPARE ANY PAPER WORKS UNTIL THE PICK UP AGENT ARRIVES AT YOUR LOCATION WITH SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE AND VALUE THE CONDITIONS OF THE VEHICLE..SO AFTER THEN THE PICKUP AGENT WILL GIVE HIM A CALL ON THE CONDITIONS OF THE VEHICLE SO THAT HE WILL GIVE HIM A GO AHEAD ORDER TO SIGN ON HIS BEHALF..

PICKUP ARRANGEMENT;

PLS MY CLIENT IS MAKING THE NECESSARY ARRANGEMENTS WITH SOME SHIPPING AGENTS REGARDING THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT OF THE VEHICLE BUT HE ADVISED THAT AS SOON AS HE FINISHES THE ARRANGEMENT THAT HE WILL INFORM ME ON THE PARTICULAR SHIPPER(i.e the shipping agent's information) WHO IS GOING TO ARRANGE FOR THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT.

Please Confirm this whole arrangement and provide a Legal Name............., Address........................ and Phone Number ......................for check payment to be made out in your name .

I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND...

Thanks for your time, effort and understanding...

HAVE A NICE DAY!!.

Management .

SYRIL MCCROY

Office ph# +44-7031909131 /Fax NO;+44-87-0912-2737

Cell Ph# +44-7040131453

McCROY AUTOS
SYRIL MCCROY.
208 Malet Street ,London,WC1E 7HU
Cell Ph# +44-7040131453

Post subject: You Guys are GREAT!!!!! Thanks soooo much!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:38 am 

I am currently dealing with the same crack head...but yet again...different name. Here is our last conversation...buy you all saved me a big headache! PHEW!

Mr. Alexander...
With all due respect, I am not comfortable with these arrangements. I will not accept a cashiers check for an amount above the asking price of the vehicle and be responsible for paying to have the vehicle shipped, especially out of the country. I am interested in selling my car, however I believe if your client is truely interested in purchasing my car, then different arrangements can be made as far as payment and shipping. I am secure in my assessment of the vehicle and have no issues allowing anyone to test drive and assess the vehicle for themselves. Once satisfactory payment has been made and the monies (US Dollars only!) have been deposited or the check cashed... (any cashiers check will be confirmed/verified by my bank prior to any relinquishment of the title or the vehicle) then and only then will any transaction take place. The shipping arrangements will be handled solely by the purchaser, I will have no part accept to be available when the vehicle is to be picked up, or to meet any shipper in an agreed upon location. I hope that you understand my sense of security in this type of transaction.

Kevin

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Nov 27 2006 11:00 PM

Greetings....... ,

Thanks for your time , effort and anticipated cooperation .... I am happy to inform you that I have concluded with my client after explaining your detailed information and vehicle full description . He has instructed me to carry on with the transaction,he said that i should inform you that payment will get to you in a Cashier Check of $14,300USD drawn in any of the AMERICAN BANKS which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.
Due to the company's policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you because the company's policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of your vehicle$5,800USD when payment gets to you and refund balance $8,500USD to my customer's shipping agent via western union money transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges.
After payment has reached you and balance sent back to THE PICKUP AGENT ,our agent will come for the pick up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via a courier service to my customer.

ATTENTION;
MY CLIENT JUST INSTRUCTED THAT YOU SHOULD NOT PREPARE ANY PAPER WORKS UNTIL THE PICK UP AGENT ARRIVES AT YOUR LOCATION WITH SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE AND VALUE THE CONDITIONS OF THE VEHICLE..SO AFTER THEN THE PICKUP AGENT WILL GIVE HIM A CALL ON THE CONDITIONS OF THE VEHICLE SO THAT HE WILL GIVE HIM A GO AHEAD ORDER TO SIGN ON HIS BEHALF..
PICKUP ARRANGEMENT;
PLS MY CLIENT IS MAKING THE NECESSARY ARRANGEMENTS WITH SOME SHIPPING AGENTS REGARDING THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT OF THE VEHICLE BUT HE ADVISED THAT AS SOON AS HE FINISHES THE ARRANGEMENT THAT HE WILL INFORM ME ON THE PARTICULAR SHIPPER(i.e the shipping agent's information) WHO IS GOING TO ARRANGE FOR THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT.

Please Confirm this whole arrangement and provide a Legal Name................., Address........................ and Phone Number ......................for check payment to be made out in your name .
I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND...
Thanks for your time, effort and understanding...
HAVE A NICE DAY!!.
Management .

Mr Alexander Philip
Cell Ph# +44-7040131453
Pls reply to this e-mail =alexphi323@yahoo.com

**** The funny thing is... All I did was google the phone number and POOF...there you all were...too funny...idiots...

Post subject: Re: You Guys are GREAT!!!!! Thanks soooo much!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:45 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

mytwinsdad wrote:
**** The funny thing is... All I did was google the phone number and POOF...there you all were...too funny...idiots...

:lol: and that is why we encourage people to post as much info as they can . . . names, email addresses, street address, phone numbers . . . you never know what will be the thing that someone else will google and if their search brings them here then you have helped to save someone else from becoming a scam victim!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch