There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I catch my scammer??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 pm 

Hi all,

I am posting this on behalf of my girlfriend who recently fell victim to a bad check scam. To briefly sum it up, she emailed someone who had an ad on craigslist looking for a nanny. They were supposedly moving to our city from the UK and needed someone to watch their children but first take care of a couple financial matters for them. Out of nowhere she received a check for $2740, a small portion of which was supposed to be her first weeks pay and the rest needed to be wired to the landlord of their new apartment for some renovations or something. She deposited the check, bank said it cleared, wired the money, and then of course it bounced a couple days later and she was officially scammed.

The scam was originated here in the US, specifically Chattanooga, TN. Besides contacting that local police department and all the other resources listed on this website, could it maybe be worth it to consult a private detective in TN to see if this scam artist can be tracked down? Here is a list of the information/documents that we have to go on:

-Entire email thread between the scammers and my gf
-The FedEx envelope w/ tracking number that the check came in (was sent from TN)
-An image of the check & its associated account# provided by the bank
-The MoneyGram receipt including the receivers name (Kimberly Boling in Chattanooga, TN, though it would obviously be surprising if this was a real name)

All this information really provides is that the person who received the payment is female and lives in or around Chattanooga, TN. MoneyGram should be able to provide authorities or a detective with which exact location the money was picked up at, correct? Could there possibly be surveillance footage of the perpetrator and/or the vehicle they drove there? Will MoneyGram know that any payments wired to a Kimberly Boling in TN from then on are most likely fraudulent and coordinate with the police to catch this person?

For some reason I feel like if I provide all this information to the police or whoever that it will just get filed away and no real investigation will take place, hence my curiosity about a detective. Of course, I don't want to have to pay a detective if no one can be caught anyway.Is her only real option here to file reports with the proper agencies and then just hope for the best?

Any help appreciated greatly!

Last edited by Janez on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remove name of city

Post subject: Re: Can I catch my scammer??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:34 am 

A detective will cost you money. Question is if that is worth it cause even if you catch your scammer, you will never get the money back you lost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:24 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

m1sscruz wrote:
Hi all,

I am posting this on behalf of my girlfriend who recently fell victim to a bad check scam.

Would she be willing to speak with a television producer about what happened to her?

I just got another media request to speak with a recent victim of a scam. They are open to any type of scam . . . please let me know if you are willing to speak with them and share your story. You could help to warn and educate so many others about these scams.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:44 pm 

Someone JUST tried pulling this scam on me and I lead him on the whole time. Must be the same person bc they gave me the same info and it was a nanny job ad. My police station here wont even take me seriously, even though I tried reporting it when it started.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:50 am 

Catching your scammer will be very difficult as they have the ability to change their identities faster than you can blink but here something you might consider doing if you want to try to gain back some cash. I am not sure what the terms and conditions are on MoneyGramms. Look at the small prints out the back. I was scammed as well in a different way than your girlfriend but the money was moved through Western Union. After taking a part their small prints, I filed a complaint through my lawyer. After investigation on the wires, they admitted fraud and started to pay on the tickets as they had failled on their internal controls and could not prove that the money had been paid out to the designated person. If your scammer provided a false ID, that might be more difficult to establish fraud but getting a copy of this document could be interesting for the authorities.

The authorities will not help you as they know that the would only be chasing a ghost but still do files with the agencies as it is important for the statistics. More the merrier as they say.

good luck
D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm 

OMG! That's the same person that's trying to get me to send then $600 via Western Union. First of all hello my name is Glory. I have been looking to rent a house in Miami, FL. When I came across a house that was being rented supposedly by man named James Eden. I contacted him today and he made me fill out an application he sent me via email. Everything looked fine to me until he text me a couple of hours ago that I got the house. The application didn't even ask for my ID info. It just seemed off but I played along. He said that all I had to do was send him $600 via Western Union to a Kimberly Boling in Chattanooga, TN 37411. The number that he is texting me from is 323-364-7804. I think you should contact the police in your area and tell them you have a lead. Maybe they can set something up with the police in Chattanooga so we can trap these people and possibly get your girlfriends money.