ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I was the victim of the nigerian scam!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:06 pm 

I had placed an ad on a pet website to sell rabbits. I received an email from this guy saying that he had been looking for these types of rabbits for awhile now and wanted to know how much I was selling them for. I emailed him the price which was $150, he said that was fine. I asked for some information about him, He said he was a military contractor working on some project in Libya, and he said he had a friend that lived in the U.S. that was shipping his things to him and he would have him pick the rabbits up. He emailed me and asked me if it was okay if he sent a cashiers check for $2700 and I was to keep $200 for the rabbits and send the rest of the money western union for shipping and plane tickets for the shipment of therabbits. I thought it sounded weird but I went ahead, cause I thought well if this is a bad check then the bank won't cash it and everything will be fine. I gave him my address and few days later I received the check through airborne express. I went to my bank that i had been going to for years and cashed the check, they never asked me any quetions. I went in the bank thinking that they wouldn't even cash it or they would have to hold it for so many days. But no, they let me walk rigth out of the bank with $2700 and no questions asked. I held the money for about 3 days and then received the information from the guy where to send the money. I went to the western union here in my town, I think it was on a Tuesday and I had cashed the check on a Friday. I sent the money. Then I received a call from my bank the next day saying the check was a counterfeit check and I was to bring them thier money, which I didn't have the money cause I had sent it off. As soon as I got off the phone with the bank I called western union and tried to stop the transfer but it was to late they had just picked the money up that day. I went to the bank to see what I needed to do and what they were going to do. I had to go talk to the president of the bank and he was very rude. He kept telling me that I was stupid for doing this and that the depositors wanted thier money back. I kept telling him that I was a stay at home mom of two and that I don't have the money and I feel like I shouldn't have to pay this back cause I was the victim not the criminal. He told me I needed to get a job so I could pay for this. I was crying the whole time I was in there cause the way he was treating me and the things he was saying to me. I didn't know what to do, I went to my local police station and filled out a report but they said they coulsn't do anything cause the guy was over seas. I contacted the FBI. No one could help. Now I am stuck having to pay for something I didn't do. I took out my life insurance money so i could pay to get a lawyer. I found one that would talk to me and he really got my hopes up until the day of the hearing. The judge went with the bank. Here i just spent money that i didn't have on this lawyer and end up having to pay this too. I don't know what to do and I have no where else to turn. I am a stay at home mom with two kids and I can't afford a babysitter but now iam going to have to try and find a part time job to pay for something that I feel is not my fault.
Aftert this happend to me the bank has a new policy out now that they didn't have out when this happend to me. I feel as though I wasn't taken care of as a customer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:20 pm 
Gold Member

We all know how you feel. MOst of us have been there and are trying to get out lives back in order.
YOu have every right to be angry at both the scammer and the system for letting you down- but- for now, the rules say if you took out the money, you have to pay it back.
The worst person involved was the bank manager. He should have been more aware of the scam and more sympathetic to your plight as you were just trying to sell your rabbits- not get away with anything.

Is this the only bank you can use? If this is a branch of a larger bank, I'd report his behavior to the CEO or President. Yes, he was within his rights to ask for repayment and to make arrangements with you- but his atitude was unprofessional and cruel.
If you report him, make sure your letter is worded diplomatically so you sound like a good person and he is painted as the bad guy.
YOu can use http://www.bankersonline.com to see what banks are encouraged to do when they discover a fake from the Nigerian counterfeiters.
Shaming the depositor is not on the list!