Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alerts, etc
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:55 pm 
Gold Member

http://www.bankersonline.com/security/aandc.html

This is a list found on bankersonline of alerts from 2001 forward. Hope this may help some of you dealing with the banks today. Try to find the bank your check was "drawn on" and take a copy of that alert with you. It may not help at all...but may help a bit...

Good luck!

txbelle[/url]

-- -- Washington Irving

Post subject: Wells Fargo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:57 am 

Well the check I was sent was counterfeit from Nigeria, but the bank that it said on the check was wells fargo in Minnesota, which isnt on the list, so I thought I would add that one in for anyone who may get one of those checks. Just a thought! Thanks, Tanya.

Post subject: apparently that bank exists.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:59 pm 

That bank in Minnesota had talked to our bank telling about the cashiers checks history, how many people still get copies of it everyday and scammed, where it went, the name of the man behind it(Charles Huto)or so his name is pronounced. At least this may not be the same, but is close enough. I got scammed from it. I never knew about this Nigerian scam. If you want more of what I know, I'll gladly share info. The bank in MN said to ours that the original check was good and was on it's way to Nigeria for a help mission, but got intercepted by this guy, who copies and sends it. I never knew a cashiers check could be tampered with. Let alone copied. The bank should have been able to see that. And why didn't Western Union make sure of verification of ID. Why didn't FedEx, who delivered me that check write me back to at least give condolences when I wrote them to see if they could track where that check originated. Is nothing sacred anymore. Is no one honest or helpful anymore?
:(

Post subject: URGENT!!! new messages from scammer(s)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:18 pm 

I sent and email to all of the scammers email addresses they are and have been using. I wrote to them " See Ya! The Lord God Almight himself will deal with you soon enough! But I
forgive you!"
That prompted one of them or the one to email me back and say "WHAT DO YOU MEAN OR INSINUATE PLS TELL ME ...
YOU HAD BETTER CHECK YOUR SELF WELL BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT RECIEVED MY PAYMENT YET.YOU MUST HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH SOME OTHER BUYERS AND SCAMMERS AND NOT ME.
WHEN ME CHECK ARRIVES I WILL KNOW IMMEDIATELY!"
I sent a response back to say I'm sorry, my mistake! just to not seem to suspicious. Then he or they wrote back saying "ok. check was sent just yesterday via ups from Alaska"! What should I do with the check should it arrive? Hurry someone! I need an answer?

Post subject: Scammers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:29 pm 

Well you can guarantee he is a scammer as well, because it wouldnt be coming from alaska, and if he WASNT a scammer, he wouldnt have emailed you back trying to JUSTIFY himself and try and convince you otherwise. He wouldnt care. Anyway, did you say he was sending the check TO YOU?? And if so, what for, I mean did you do business with him or several of people?

Post subject: He's didn't give any specifics yet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:55 pm 

The scammer has already gotten me once and is trying to do the same thing again. Although he left no specifics on any transaction as before and what to do once I received the check. I almost believe he thinks I am someone different, because he must have thought I would be wise to his dealings, but then again maybe he really thinks I'm stuped and would fall for it again! As far as I know this is one person out of the country I am dealing with, and he has connections over here. I know there is a person in NY and someone in MN. I also wonder if maybe he thinks that if I am dealing with him again or if he doesn't remember the first time(must be so many victims he has) that he thinks I am suppose to use the transaction agreement he had already sent the first time he scammed me. I'll have to wait and see in the next few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:01 pm 

How sure are you that this is the same person? they run in gangs as well . You really need to do some deep digging in order to know for sure it is the same person, unless he is using the same emial account and just a different name.

Post subject: Not entirely sure
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:14 pm 

I'm not entirely sure it is the same person. But the same exact pattern is taking shape, just as before. He or they are trying to take the same route to this so-called business deal for them to by my collectors trucks(which I still have). Or maybe He or they are aware that I already have been through the process and lost all that money. Could be someone within a "ring" as you say, but maybe they don't work too closely together to see what the other is doing. Who Knows. I can't figure it out completely by the emails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:24 pm 

They are sly, once they have a someone on the line that they think may actually pay out , who knows what they are capable of. Your name , address and any other info they have on you has been well circulated by now.

Post subject: Maybe a step closer for the long haul
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:48 pm 

My wife is still carrying around the receipts from Western Union and the bank transactions as well as a printed copy of the transaction from the email and the scam that cost us $3500. She doesn't want me to get involved in this anymore(which she made this clear a few days ago). But I told her that if there is someone that can be done to help at least a little and if it keeps at least one other person from being burned, then this is worth it to do something. I went to Western Union online yesterday and they have a real kind of chat area where I can talk to a rep. I asked if they could trace where Western Union funds went to once they were sent, he said he could if I get the numbers and other info off the receipt. I last one went to services.Name: David ManeAddress: 104 West 44th Street Ny 10036 United
States. He was the so-called agent for services rendered and what not. As time goes on I fugure out more and receive more info. What this might come to, who knows. May even get me into serious trouble. I it comes to the point where the risk might seem to high, Then I'll back off or stop altogether.Iwould love to be able to just cash that check somewhere and not have give any ID and just keep the money. It should be mine now anyway, They took MY money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:55 pm 

Rob listen to me carefully, chances are this guy that you listed his name and address are either A: non existant or B: it is someone who has nothing to do with this other than the scammer picking his name out of a phone book. You wont find him not without police or secret service help of which both are pretty much a pipe dream. DO NOT CASH THAT CHECK turn it over to the Secret Service let them deal with it! Is it worth 20 yrs of your life to cash it?

Post subject: scam magnet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:05 pm 

here is another email that is obviously a scam from the unwillingness to pay via paypal or other safe way:
Hello,

I'm a merchant from Indonesia.
I really interested to buy your item(s) directly.
I'll pay by my Mastercard/visa direct through your merchant/credit card
machine.
I DON'T DO Paypal, bidpay or money transfer.
I'll pay the shipping cost by EMS to Indonesia.

I hope we can make a long term bussines relationship in the future.

If you agree, please reply this email.

Best regards,
--------------------
And he didnt leave a name. I was told by my merchant account people that indonesia is just as bad as nigeria. What do you all think? Dont worry, I already told him no. I just wondered if I did the right thing. I told him I ONLY accept paypal, and if this isnt good enough then take his business elsewhere.

Now, as far as cashing that check goes, ask how long it takes to clear, and if they say like 24 hours, and it will be completely clear, NO RISK, ask if you can get that in writing. Then check the writing to make sure that it says that the check will be completely clear in 24 hours, that way you HAVE IT IN WRITING FROM THE BANK! What do you guys think???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:17 pm 

Me personally I wouldnt deal with any of them. This is VERY obviously someone who is attempting to scam you. The bank will NEVER guarantee a check of any kind it is useless to ask.

Post subject: only waiting and won't go too much farther
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:11 pm 

I am only waiting to see if that check arrives. I do believe it is either the same person or in a ring with related emails. I also didn't realize my wife was also carrying a photo copy of that check that the bank made for us. One more thing to handle over to the authorities. Hopefully someone who will do something with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:36 am 

on monday 16th march 04 my boyfriend received an email from kiana jones about something my partner is selling on free adds websites he claims to be from ireland.
but august last year he was contacted by a nigerian bloke and we recieved a check from him for £5000 and offered to purchase something we was selling for £800 for £3000 we received the check and put it in a bank and it bounced and nothing else after that was said from the bank or this person. in the past two weeks we have had emails from various people or one person with various names about the same thing and they all seemed to have people oweing them money from some places and would like us to send them the rest of the money with the shipping arangements i still have the emails in my partners inbox what should i do please can someone give me an idea. as the accept the cheque and pass it to the police or just forget contacting this bloke again. i do hope you can piont me in the right direction as this person should be punished for the grief everyone has been put though