ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which courier did the scammers use?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:16 pm 

I'm interested in hearing which courier(s) are used in these scams. In my case, FEDEX was the chosen one. Am I on the right track implying that the shippers should have a moral responsibility to make an attempt to monitor shipments from these "Hotspots" i.e. Lagos, Nigeria in order to help curb this problem?

I read somewhere that one of the U.S. agencies (Secret Service?) randomly opened express envelopes from known fraud hotspots, and sucessfully stopped the importation of fradulent checks in certain instances (not mine) :(

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that if we the consumers lean hard enough on these companies to verify that their customers are using their services for legitimate services, it might help to knock another tooth out of the gear.

Post subject: all sorts of carriers used
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:19 pm 

With me he sent it from Atlanta GA via USPS express overnight, I have also had contact with another victim that just got a note from the Secret Service that Customs seized an envelope out of UK at London Heathrow Airport, his was with UPS. They will use anyone that is handy who does international overnight shipping. Afterall they cannot send it slowboat time is money to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:24 am 

FEDEX- Was the chosen courier in my case!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:12 am 
Gold Member

These scammers are operating out of so many countries. They will use any, and every, courier source available.
It is not possible for any courier company to verify the legitamacy of every letter / package they are carrying.
Just think of the logistics involved in asking every courier company worldwide to vouch for the authenticity of the contents of every item they are transporting.
Totally unworkable.

Post subject: Re: Which courier did the scammers use?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:13 am 
trustnobody wrote:
I'm interested in hearing which courier(s) are used in these scams. In my case, FEDEX was the chosen one. Am I on the right track implying that the shippers should have a moral responsibility to make an attempt to monitor shipments from these "Hotspots" i.e. Lagos, Nigeria in order to help curb this problem?

No, you're not.

Unless you would like to extend that "moral responsibility" to other forms of communication.

Should your email be bugged to ensure you're not sending nasty things? Should your phone be tapped for the same reason? Should your post be routinely opened?

Post subject: FEDEX
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:39 am 
Yes without a doubt Fedex is carrier of choice. 95% of all my fake checks (approaching 100) are Fedex. And more than half have the tape accross the top that reads 'INSPECT BY US CUSTOMS' On it. To my knowledge the customs people have not tried to stop it. On a side note, I notice that many fake cheks are stored in a special envelope of horrible quality, a brown unbleached waxy paper. I also notice that a large percentage of fake checks form africa (togo, nigeria) have the senders address listed as "Maryland, US" but clearly are from africa. I also notice a large number of checks from fedex originate in the UK, particularly Poyle, GB. And yes this cost scammers money, I have an estimate that I made scammers waste almost $9000 sending the checks.
http://www.geocities.com/harryblumpkin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:45 am 
Yes you are!
Rainwoman is trying to get enough evidence to start a class action case against Fedex! Read through some of those threads and submit your information. Fedex should not operate in Lagos, Nigeria.
E-mail is different than a package sent to someone physically, you cannot send counterfeit checks, drugs or anything like that via e-mail! They are two totally different things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:53 am 
Wrong again. Email and the web is routinely used for financial transactions, if you hadn't noticed. Ordinary snail mail is also used for sending real (and dud) cheques.

I cannot see the difference between using a national mail service for a dud cheque, and a private company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:59 am 

These guys know what works for them and their little friends ,they use anything under the sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:59 am 
Right again.
Checks do not come through e-mail, there are some websites that you can use, but not e-mail. I guess some scammers might try to "attach" a fake check into e-mail. Heck some of the banks we have dealt with would probably even cash them. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:05 pm 

yeah no kidding , some seem pretty stupid on the subject. Banks are a nightmare in their own right when it comes to releasing funds immediately on cashier checks. Someone has to find a way to nail them and nail them hard make a total example of one before they will all start to run scared and do the right thing.

A nice big class action suit could do it if it is done right. Oh and lots of publicity too cannot forget giving the media their licks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:07 pm 

Now there are payment services out there that allow you to take a check by fax and what not, but if they did things that way it is more identity theft than it is a counterfeit check issue I would think wouldnt it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:14 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Anonymous wrote:
Rainwoman is trying to get enough evidence to start a class action case against Fedex!

Just had to correct you . . . Alan Bell, a lawyer who works with Masry & Vititoe, the lawfirm that Erin Brockovich is with, http://www.masryvititoe.com/erin_brockovich.shtml is actually the person who is working with us at ScamVictimsUnited.com at putting this class action together.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:44 pm 

At least with USPS the supervisor stood up and gave me copies of the label and of my signature confirmation that are helping me and she is willing to testify that I picked them up that day and opened the envelope when I turned around walking away from the counter.

From what I hear about Fedex is that they just do not care period what goes on or happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:31 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Wrong again. Email and the web is routinely used for financial transactions, if you hadn't noticed. Ordinary snail mail is also used for sending real (and dud) cheques.

I cannot see the difference between using a national mail service for a dud cheque, and a private company.

You can access anything from anywhere, with a little ingenuity.

Email? Nah, you can't send cheques/checks through it. But, you can send sensitive information. Hell, if I wanted to, in this very post I could detail EXACTLY how to make Thermite (for those of you who don't know, it's seriously nasty stuff. A quarter sized pile will burn a hole through an engine block) AND how to use it properly... But, I won't.

Telephones? Yep, sensitive information can be passed through them, as well.

Point is, the scammers are the ones we hear about. Not the innocent Nigerians, who aren't part of the scams. (And don't go getting your panties in a wad, saying that all Nigerians must be dirty, scamming bastards, because they aren't.)

Spawn

P.S. You might want to consider logging in next time you go to post. Might lend some credibility to what you're saying.