Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:13 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Right again.
Checks do not come through e-mail, there are some websites that you can use, but not e-mail. I guess some scammers might try to "attach" a fake check into e-mail. Heck some of the banks we have dealt with would probably even cash them. :?

Nobody said cheques come through email. (It's not just me who doesn't always read posts correctly, then) The difference was made between a state-owned postal system and a private one.

Would you want your post routinely opened, because someone thought the address, handwiriting on the label, state of the packaging, whatever looked dodgy?

Think of all the people who cannot read and write coherent English, sending honest mail and parcels from abroad. Should their post be routinely opened?

I have some sympathy with those who say that banks should honour cheques that they've declared to be good, but none whatsoever with people who say that the message carrier should be hit.

Don't shoot the messenger. Literally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:26 pm 

I agree with you spawn, not all nigerians are scammers or bad people, it is unfortunate though that because of the horrible actions of a few it brings on a big picture that is not accurage about the country and its people as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:44 am 
KarynSolo wrote:
I agree with you spawn, not all nigerians are scammers or bad people, it is unfortunate though that because of the horrible actions of a few it brings on a big picture that is not accurage about the country and its people as a whole.

Well, precisely. I mean, there are some Brits who do nasty things like run pyramid schemes, and some Americans who indulge in likewise, as well as spamming their dodgy money-making schemes around, but this doesn't reflect on the countries as a whole.

Two of the countries I've lived in, of which I have the happiest memories, are Iran and Libya (would you believe).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:52 am 

Its not like the USA can stand blameless infront of the entire world, nor can most countries, each community can have its bad elements, that doesnt mean everyone in that community is bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:13 pm 

KarynSolo wrote:
Its not like the USA can stand blameless infront of the entire world, nor can most countries, each community can have its bad elements, that doesnt mean everyone in that community is bad.

Then why do you feel the need to blatantly point the finger, and sling insults around like they're confetti?

Several people (including myself) have basically stated that the blame doesn't lie in one direction. In some cases, it's the victim, for having been greedy (yes, I know...you weren't greedy, you were just trying to sell something. :roll: ) In other cases, it's company A, for not having better security in place. Whatever. The point of this post is that you can't just sit back and point the finger. Noone can.

"There are three sides to every story: His side, Her side and The Truth"

Spawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:12 am 
Gold Member

Spawn wrote:
KarynSolo wrote:

Then why do you feel the need to blatantly point the finger, and sling insults around like they're confetti?

Several people (including myself) have basically stated that [bold]the blame doesn't lie in one direction.[/bold] In some cases, it's the victim, for having been greedy (yes, I know...you weren't greedy, you were just trying to sell something.) In other cases, it's company A, for not having better security in place. Whatever. The point of this post is that you can't just sit back and point the finger. Noone can.

"There are three sides to every story: His side, Her side and The Truth"

Spawn

Spawn, those of you who like to state that the blame doesn't lie in one direction have never walked in these shoes and want to constantly reiterate the gullibility, etc of the victims. I think that WU does hold a degree of responsibility...not 100% by any means...but, they saw enough of it happening to have put a policy of questioning their customers into place--therefore, I think there is a degree of responsibility in the lack of implementation of said policy. No, Fed-Ex can't check the contents of every package that comes from Nigeria, but could they not issue a disclaimer of some sort? One recent victim, in discussions with his bank was told that they (the bank) were "dedicated toward educating the public about this scam" and yet there is nothing posted in their bank, their tellers evidently haven't been further trained as to the correct verbage to use, the person who processed that check BY HAND (because they cannot be read by machine) evidently didn't know what to look for, there has been nothing sent out to account holders...so exactly what is it that they are actually DOING at this point?!

I went back through an old file of things I had given my attorney last year and found a statement where banks have been getting alerts from the FDIC since 1999.....1999!!!!....and yet the bankers in this country who actually care enough about what the general public thinks a banks job is and are making efforts to educate their employees and account holders can probably be counted on my fingers and toes with digits left over! You, as a NON-victim cannot imagine how frustrating that is!!!

We are all in agreement that education is the key...what are your suggestions toward that end? "We" do newspaper and television stories...opening ourselves to all degrees of ridicule from those who've never been there. "We" design web-sites, talk to politicians on a State and Federal level...participate in national consumer awareness forums...talk to bankers until we are blue in the face...we tell everyone we know (i emailed a letter to everyone in my address book and asked them to forward it--whether they did or not, i have no way of knowing--i certainly didn't want sympathy, just hoping to warn a few people)...we email auction-sites and classifieds-sites asking them to post warnings...some of us join in the baiting game from all different perspectives...and there are a few people out there who DO know how to access email accounts and try to warn potential victims...Now all we need is a few more people to jump on the bandwagon (which is happening, it just takes time). It is difficult not to feel like "TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE" :wink: ~ and it isn't. There have even been some recent changes in laws affecting the banking industry that work in our favor...but it takes time before the affects are felt and seen...time.

txbelle

-- -- Washington Irving

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:16 pm 

Very well put txbelle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:34 pm 
Fed EX twice and DHL once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:42 am 

Beware these scumbags are now using QChex too an online payment service where you can send a check and the person at the other end prints it. Just got a victim that this happened to , let me tell you it is a literal nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:15 pm 

I received a cashier's check by regular mail from UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:31 pm 

There are plenty of Copy Cats out there too, its not all nigerians who are doing this. Anyone can watch and learn and mask themselves to appear to be whoever they want you to think they are.

Lately I have seen a rash of QChex coming across too, so online payment services arent always safe either.

BTW Spawn ltns how you been ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:16 pm 

Class action law suit? Where do I sign up? I'd love to be included in this one.

Jessica

Post subject: mail company used
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:31 am 
My con man used DHL for both of his deliveries of counterfeit US POstal money orders to me. He gave me a FED EX account to ship the 7 cell phones he had sent to my address. Customs in NIgeria according to the tracking number currently has the cell phones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:45 am 

Well expect US Customs to get involved and you may get a nasty letter from them in the future.

Post subject: Shame on Spawn
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:04 pm 
Spawn you talk like the very scammers we are writing about. Why are you here to read how you have hurt innocent American possibly bankrupt them, or even made them homeless. Shame on you. God bless you though.