ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A cashier's check scam with a new twist
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:56 pm 

Hi, I'm new to the website, but I've been doing some researching and wanted to share this.... twist on a Nigerian scheme. Jobs (many) are being posted on legit classified ad websites that indicate hiring sort of administrative assistants to receive checks and wire money to Nigeria (and other places, probably). They send you a cashier's check (remember they used to be so iron clad reliable?), and you can cash or deposit it. Then you are supposed to wire money to raw materials people in Nigeria. The one I'm dealing with is a British clothing company WITH A WEBSITE that looks unfinished but legit..... I assumed it was a scam but proceeded to see what would happen. What I found out (amazingly) is that your bank will actually clear the check before the funds are delivered, and so then you wire your life savings away. Just wanted to share it, it seems alittle different and it's the same with 3 jobs I've looked into on JobPlanet in the last week..... I deposited the check before I checked it out, but am now armed. I will pursue contacting the bank and find out if it is fraud and (as is likely) it will be and I will report them to every agency I can find. Thanks, vinent

Post subject: Re: A cashier's check scam with a new twist
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:46 am 
Gold Member

What was the "new twist" I missed that part.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:12 am 
Gold Member

Yeah I didn't see a different twist there at all. Banks never hold checks until funds are available completely and the scam setup is the same as the things we have seen before.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:58 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I am going to guess that the poster is saying that the "twist" is that they are finding their victims through classified ads to jobs . . . when the scam first started "back in the day" they contacted people selling items (like cars) now they try to suck people in by job offers.

Yes, this twist is not new to those of us who are very heavy into the world of scams (see the section of this board for work at home scams)

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:30 pm 

First of all this is not really new it is being used a lot by the scammers for posting bogus jobs and luring people into a counterfeit check cashing scheme called payment processing schemes. They ask you to work for them and take in payments from customers in your country, then cash the checks ( which are counterfeit and sent by other ring members to you) and send on all but a certain percent ( your commissions ) via western union or another service. Just a new twist on an old scam.

Scammers love craigslist and careerbuilder these days. One they are now doing is contacting you through freelance sites as well, they get your mailing information to send information, then instead send you a letter and a counterfeit check that makes it look like you were hired to do some freelance work. The checks are very well crafted as the letters. I got one a few weeks back that wanted me to secret shop money gram....... Oh yeah and I Had to sent all but 300 of the 3k back through the system with an evaluation to follow of the service I received. Wait did I mention that the so called company was in the us bu t the money had to go to Canada ?

Lets say that check never got cashed, I never went to money gram and they got nothing! I actually handed the information off to some friends who are looking further into the situation for me.

They will get you around every corner if you do not stay ontop of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:56 pm 

The new twist to me is that jobs are being offered through, job.com, careerbuilders.com and other online job help people. I was offered a mystery shoppers job and got scammed for $9000.00. I am now on a mission to stop all scammers through education to the Texas and other states. Please join me !! I appreciate Shawn and Jeff for this website. I hope together we all can educate people nationwide .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:18 am 
Gold Member

kittyrlady@yahoo.com wrote:
The new twist to me is that jobs are being offered through, job.com, careerbuilders.com and other online job help people. I was offered a mystery shoppers job and got scammed for $9000.00. I am now on a mission to stop all scammers through education to the Texas and other states. Please join me !! I appreciate Shawn and Jeff for this website. I hope together we all can educate people nationwide .

What part of Texas are you in, I have a small fraud group, bankers and law enforcement in South Texas.