ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I WAS SCAMMED, WATCH OUT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:33 pm 

I would like to start out by sharing with you how I found this website!

I am in the middle of someone trying to scam me right now. I recieved a package in the mail && I googled the return address, "111 Wheeler Ave." which sent me to this page... ScamVictimsUnited, I have to admit it put a smile on my face && I thought it was clever.

I put an ad on Craigslist about my in-home daycare service, not to long after I posted the ad I got an e-mail from a woman who needed daycare service in my area. She said she lived in Texas and would be visiting my town in Virginia and would need my service for 4 weeks. I thought it was real and I gave her a price for the time her daughter "Julian" for be in my care. She offered to pay me extra money, which I thought was a bit strange, but I figured "what the heck." Anyhow, she started pushing the fact that she would be mailing me the money early, to secure her spot and asked me to take down my listing. I told her she didn't have to pay me early and could wait until she got here, and I still had more spots available so I would keep my ad up. A couple of e-mails later she says her boss is going to mail me the check soon and it will be there is a couple of days. So I get the check today and its for thousands of dollars, which totally blew my mind. I e-mailed her to ask why I was mailed so much money. She wrote me back and said her boss acciendtly put all the money together ( daycare money, her flight money, and her spending money) and now he is out of the country.She went on to tell me to deposit it into my account and take out what she owes me than Western Union the rest back to her. So now I'm lying to this woman, I told her I cashed it and I didn't have time to get to a Western Union, just to see what she'll say next.

This is unreal and I really don't know what to do next.. So I guess I'll keep playing with her and see if she gives up.

The e-mail I'm recieving letters from is blacknon11@yahoo.com

All the addresses she has gave me are fake, from which I can tell. I googled and nothing came up that went along with her story.

It was a cashiers check

Post subject: Re: I WAS SCAMMED, WATCH OUT!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

OxTeRRi wrote:
I recieved a package in the mail && I googled the return address, "111 Wheeler Ave." which sent me to this page... ScamVictimsUnited

I am glad to hear that you were able to find out that it was a scam from our site . . . have I mentioned that I LOVE google! 8)

Quote:
So now I'm lying to this woman, I told her I cashed it and I didn't have time to get to a Western Union, just to see what she'll say next.

What you are now doing is called "scam baiting". There are a lot of sites devoted to this, including 419eater.com where you can learn more about this and share your "baits" with others. I personally do not recommend baiting since you never know what the scammer will do with the info that they have on you, especially if it is your REAL contact info (real name, number and address)

Quote:
So I guess I'll keep playing with her and see if she gives up.

They don't give up to easy. They will proably become angry when you don't wire the money. You can tell them that the bank told you that the check was conterfeit so you can not wire them anything . . . that usually makes them go away (if that does not work, add that you and the bank have turned all info over to the FBI and Secret Service)

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Re: I WAS SCAMMED, WATCH OUT!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:26 am 
Gold Member

OxTeRRi wrote:
I would like to start out by sharing with you how I found this website!

I am in the middle of someone trying to scam me right now. I recieved a package in the mail && I googled the return address, "111 Wheeler Ave." which sent me to this page... ScamVictimsUnited, I have to admit it put a smile on my face && I thought it was clever.

I put an ad on Craigslist about my in-home daycare service, not to long after I posted the ad I got an e-mail from a woman who needed daycare service in my area. She said she lived in Texas and would be visiting my town in Virginia and would need my service for 4 weeks. I thought it was real and I gave her a price for the time her daughter "Julian" for be in my care. She offered to pay me extra money, which I thought was a bit strange, but I figured "what the heck." Anyhow, she started pushing the fact that she would be mailing me the money early, to secure her spot and asked me to take down my listing. I told her she didn't have to pay me early and could wait until she got here, and I still had more spots available so I would keep my ad up. A couple of e-mails later she says her boss is going to mail me the check soon and it will be there is a couple of days. So I get the check today and its for thousands of dollars, which totally blew my mind. I e-mailed her to ask why I was mailed so much money. She wrote me back and said her boss acciendtly put all the money together ( daycare money, her flight money, and her spending money) and now he is out of the country.She went on to tell me to deposit it into my account and take out what she owes me than Western Union the rest back to her. So now I'm lying to this woman, I told her I cashed it and I didn't have time to get to a Western Union, just to see what she'll say next.

This is unreal and I really don't know what to do next.. So I guess I'll keep playing with her and see if she gives up.

The e-mail I'm recieving letters from is blacknon11@yahoo.com

All the addresses she has gave me are fake, from which I can tell. I googled and nothing came up that went along with her story.

It was a cashiers check

Just be careful with your baiting since the scammer already has your address and name. I would leave it alone since you have children in your care and who knows what the scammer is capable of doing. Count your blessings of catching the scam before it was to late. Hit the report as spam button and move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:53 pm 

On top of the above advice I'd also like to add that baiting fake check scams isn't easy to do and there's not much to work with. After a few tries when they don't get the money they will stop sending the fake checks and the bait is over. That's why baiters usually stick with the 419 scams and others that are much easier to bait.

It can also be dangerous to bait fake check scams because in some places just being in posession of a counterfeit check is a crime. That means that technically by just accepting the package with the fake check inside you have committed a felony. On top of that an enterprising prosecutor can claim you knowingly possessed the check because of the very fact that you were baiting the scammers. Of course it isn't likely but it could happen.