ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:13 pm 

i got the down payment to the guy but afterwards he said the police told him they will still press charges if i miss a single payment. he also wouldnt accept payments that aint gonna kill me and my family so now im worried that im gonna make some payments and then not be able to make a few and be charged again. i wont get to talk to my public defender until october 4th and see what he says about it.

i also forgot to mention. hes making me pay the bank fee which i understand. but hes also saying i have to pay him back the check cashing fee also which is $50. im not sure if i should have agreed to pay him for $50 which i never actually recieved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 pm 

went to court thursday and my attorney said that its going to the grand jury to see what they are gonna charge me with exactly and if they are going to charge me.

i go back on the 19th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:10 pm 

hulkhelton wrote:
i listed both mine and my wifes computers on craigslist and the same guy emailed me from the same email address.

is there anyway i can get him caught?

Probably not. There's loooong chance but I wouldn't bet a nickel on it. He's probably not in the US and to get whatever country he is in to cooperate with an investigation is highly unlikely unless a lot of money is involved. Sadly that's the case with many of these scams.

I know it isn't funny to you but just now reading that the same guy contacted you about the computers had me spraying Pepsi all over my keyboard. I don't think I want to read the response you made to him.

One thought. Is there any way either you or your wife could get a loan to pay off the bank? Even one co-signed by someone else would be preferable to getting stuck half way through your payments and going to jail. It's much better having a blot on your credit report than a criminal record.

Another thought. Just in case, it might be a good idea to find all the information about this type of scam that you can. That info might come in handy if you do have to go to court. You might also want to give any emails from this latest attempt to scam you on the computers to your attorney. Maybe even have him follow up with the guy to show that this was a deliberate attempt to set you up with the fake check. Don't do this on your own however. With charges possibly pending you don't want to get anywhere near a counterfeit check but an attorney could. It might go some way in proving you were taken advantage of and were not just an accessory to the crime.

Also check with your attorney about this (and all advice you get on the web) but you might want to bring this to the attention of the local media. Internet scams have been somewhat prominent lately on TV so a local story might interest the media in your area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:42 pm 

well. the grand jury didnt charge me.
its all settled for now.
my attorney said they didnt drop the charges either that they just ignored the case.
i have to save my reciepts from the guy for 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:54 am 
Gold Member

reverse wrote:
hulkhelton wrote:
on monday the guy agreed i could pay $100 down and $50 a week.
on tuesday he tried to demand $300 said that he wouldnt do any payment plan if i couldnt pay the down payment.
since my paycheck on monday was $150 and we had already talked it out he knew i wasnt going to be able to make that down payment.

at court today the judge reccomended i get a lawyer. i wont meet my lawyer until my next court date on the 4th.
but the guy from the public defenders office suggested they might drop it to a misdemeanor.

i would definately plead no contest to a misdemeanor but i will not plead to a felony.

In all honesty, if you can prove you received no enrichment and sent away all the money they are going to have a hard time pinning anything on you.
If you had kept the money then the charge would stick. Hang in there, I think the court will drop the charges if you tell them you want to pay the money back.

I felt that it would go your way.

Stay away from any other internet deals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:47 am 
Gold Member

hulkhelton wrote:
well. the grand jury didnt charge me.
its all settled for now.
my attorney said they didnt drop the charges either that they just ignored the case.
i have to save my reciepts from the guy for 10 years.

Good,

I'm glad things worked out for you in the end