ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REAL NIGERIAN...
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:33 pm 

I am so upset, but I want to share my story.

I am a student, and as I am graduating and moving to another town, I posted ads on craigslist to sell my furniture.

One guy contacted me and said he'll send me $200 cashier check for my bed. I agreed. Then he said his secretary messed up and sent me $2900. He offered $50 for running around, and the rest of the money back.

I was so stupid, that I really sent the money through western union to his client in London. Then he told me he could not buy the bed any more, coz his wife in NIGERIA has just had a baby, and he needed that money to pay her medical bills. He asked me to wire the rest of the money to his wife.

I got suspicous, and reported to my bank. Yeah, typical scammer! But I lost $2650.
I have reported to the police, secret services, Western Union, and everyone I can...

I just feel so stupid...I even work with the police as my internship, and we talk about online crimes all the time...but I just never suspected that a cashier check can be fake...

So sad now. As a poor student, that all the money I earned from my workstudy job this past year...

The worst thing...this guy contacted me again, even after I reported him to the police. He sweared in God's name, that he is not a lier. How dare he! I just pray that the good Lord will have justice done.

When I start my grad program in criminology this fall, I will work hard on whitecollar crimes...

Feeling stupid still...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:52 am 

Don't feel stupid, these people are very good at conning others. Going into criminology with what you have learned will actually be helpful as you come upon more victims since you have experienced what they will be going through and you have a better understanding that these victims are "not" criminals. Unfortunately our justice system "still" jails and in some cases wrongly convicts these victims. I still think if Western Union would take these scams seriously and stop "accepting" these bogus transfers it would take a hugh bite out of this type of scam. Maybe they should be charged as "accessories" to these crimes since they obviously know that a lot of these transfers are bogus and that makes them a major player in these scams.

Post subject: And the police
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:16 am 

Thanks for your reply...almost didn't sleep last night...

The police...yes, as I work with them (on human trafficking cases) we work really hard to train them that these victims are not criminals, still they get jailed and deported, etc...

I think the police are just going after whoever that's easy to catch and "bully".

The state police asked me to report to the computer crime unit yesterday at around 12pm...I have been calling since then, until now, no one is picking up the phone...

I am going into office this morning, and I'll ask our detective what those people are doing. They are paid to do their job --- if they cannot investigate, at least take the report for future references...

Talking about being a victims, I have been stalked, robbed, harrassed, and now I am scammed...Juses, I was thinking last night, maybe next time I will get murdered...

I'll do my best to educate people around me about those bad scammers.