ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: good to know
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 pm 

i didnt fall for it either. i knew it was a scam. i just got on here to try and help people catch him. thats funny too because my check was for $2500.75. i thought it was pretty odd too. eric groves also "signed" my check. it would be fun to catch these guys, just glad that i didnt lose anything on the deal. the check that i got send next day air by UPS made me laugh. this could really mess with peoples lives, it would be great to mess up theirs! yes a little angry, but not hesitant to do something about it.

Post subject: Re: good to know
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:27 pm 
ghost17 wrote:
i didnt fall for it either. i knew it was a scam. i just got on here to try and help people catch him. thats funny too because my check was for $2500.75. i thought it was pretty odd too. eric groves also "signed" my check. it would be fun to catch these guys, just glad that i didnt lose anything on the deal. the check that i got send next day air by UPS made me laugh. this could really mess with peoples lives, it would be great to mess up theirs! yes a little angry, but not hesitant to do something about it.

You would have to travel to get the bad guys they are not in the US.

Post subject: Boris Garth
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:22 pm 

Well fortunately I now know about this website. Unfortunately I did not know about it last week. I consider myself to be somewhat worldly and not easily scammed but I must admit it did come very close to happening. I am fortunate that I have a friend in Europe and last week I related to him about a check I got via UPS overnight early AM delivery in payment for an auction. The check was considerably over the auction total and there were instructions in with the check to deposit the check and wire the difference to Boris Garth. I won't go into how close I came to losing a lot of money but it was too close. Suffice to say I am a bit wiser now. I take consolation in the fact that it cost $70 to send the UPS in the way it was sent. I am lucky that I related what was transpiring with my friend in Europe, it was his consul that got me thinking about what was happening and caused me to pull back just in time. eBay needs to stop allowing anonymous email addresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:58 pm 

I'm glad you weren't as gullible as I!
I've never been scammed before, however this time I put too much faith in the banks protocols.

Post subject: Also received a check
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:13 pm 

I also received a check today. Called the bank number and actually got the bank. Obviously they told me it was a scam, I had a REALLY good hunch that it was. The woman I spoke to said I was about the 15th person she knew of and the 8th state to be involved. Would it do any good to contact my local police?

Post subject: Re: Also received a check
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:46 pm 
btrflyz wrote:
I also received a check today. Called the bank number and actually got the bank. Obviously they told me it was a scam, I had a REALLY good hunch that it was. The woman I spoke to said I was about the 15th person she knew of and the 8th state to be involved. Would it do any good to contact my local police?

What was the exact amount of your check?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:26 am 

Check amount is $3500.75. Asking price of the car is $1000. So the excess amount was $2500.

Post subject: Boris Garth did NOT get my money!!.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:04 am 

Hi, I just joined this forum and I have a similar story to tell you all.. I just received a check from Norwest Bank in Texas for the sum of $3500.75 with a signature of Eric Groves. Also included was instructions on how to send the "excess" money via wire transfer or WU back to him. I was selling an Eddie Van Halen cardboard cutout that was signed by Eddie himself for $275.00. As soon as I opened the envelope that UPS delivered this morning and saw the amount of the check, warning bells went off in my head. So I called the bank in question and it is Wells Fargo bank and not Norwest. I faxed the letter and check to a very nice lady there and she pointed me to this site. After reading through this forum thread, it seems that this guy has been doing this for some time and it is time someone caught him. I want to catch this loser because of the fact that he TRIED to pull a fast one on me and others. So, all that said, I shall be doing some more investigating! I am happy to find you all trying to nail this guy so I will be playing my part in this too.
Dave.

Post subject: Re: Boris Garth did NOT get my money!!.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:05 pm 
dloud2002 wrote:
Hi, I just joined this forum and I have a similar story to tell you all.. I just received a check from Norwest Bank in Texas for the sum of $3500.75 with a signature of Eric Groves. Also included was instructions on how to send the "excess" money via wire transfer or WU back to him. I was selling an Eddie Van Halen cardboard cutout that was signed by Eddie himself for $275.00. As soon as I opened the envelope that UPS delivered this morning and saw the amount of the check, warning bells went off in my head. So I called the bank in question and it is Wells Fargo bank and not Norwest. I faxed the letter and check to a very nice lady there and she pointed me to this site. After reading through this forum thread, it seems that this guy has been doing this for some time and it is time someone caught him. I want to catch this loser because of the fact that he TRIED to pull a fast one on me and others. So, all that said, I shall be doing some more investigating! I am happy to find you all trying to nail this guy so I will be playing my part in this too.
Dave.

Where was it mailed from?

Post subject: Mailed from:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:29 pm 

Hi, On the address label, it says Eric, 8005386391,Eric, 1693 Brain Bridge, Miami, Fl 33010.
I did try to call the toll free number but got a message saying I had to enter en access code. No clue what thats all about. Anyway, the guy has emailed me twice again this morning saying I got the package. He used a tracking number.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:28 pm 
It was remailed by a transhipper here is an expample........

http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=2181

Post subject: He didn't catch me either, but I sure could have used the $$
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:27 am 

Well, same scam, different day. This guy wanted me to send a wire transfer, too, to somebody else, after he overpayed for an auction item. I knew that was weird but I was still trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. But I wasn't going to do anything rash. He kept pushing me to send the transfer, saying I was . . .
well here's his latest email, after I told him the bank had to hold the check he sent me for 7 days so I couldn't send the transfer:

Thatb Rediclous telling that thye Bank said it will take up to 7days but you said you have cashed out already that who are you to send the funds to what really going on cos i dont understand anylonger it seems i am smelling something fishing do cracks jokes with cos i am a man of My words which i kept promising okay if you know you have the funds with you i will advise you more better to send the Funds if possible first thing in the Morning or by latest Monday Morning cos i dont know what might happen okay i am only giving and advise okay

Geesh, what a moron!!! A very clever Moron!!

Anyway, the transfer was going to:
NAME - GEORGE WALTON
ADDRESS - 164 STAPLETON HALL ROAD LONDON , N4 4QJ UNITED KINGDOM

And, oh my gosh, this guy's english is soooo bad. From the very first email, I figured something was wrong, but I tried keeping the line of communication open anyway, just so I could figure it out. There was always some problem why he couldn't get me the money owed me for the auction item. First it was the holidays getting in the way and then he told me his daughter was in a car accident. He actually got mad at me for not giving him any sympathy. But, he got over that and he even offered to chip in an extra $50, "for the holidays", ha!

This guy used this email address: annabobby210@yahoo.com under the name of "Lee Pool".

The cashier's check was from MiOilLtd.

Being an avid fan of the TV show 24, I did research on MiOil, and came to the absolute conclusion that this whole thing was money laundering for terrorists!!! Anyway, then I researched the name "Eric Groves" who signed the check and, eventually, found this site. Thanks for all the posting, I may never have known this to be just a scam. I might have continued to believe I'd caught terrorists red handed!!! HaHaHa! Just kidding.

Anyway, too bad it's a scam. I really could have used the $4000. I think I'll jerk his chain a little more. He's really nervous that I'm going to "Keep" the $4000. I think the next email I send him I'll tell him I'm gonna keep the money, then see what he does. :wink:

Anyway, let me know if there's anything anybody thinks I can do, I've still got the guy hanging - well, that is until he reads this particular entry on this board. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 am 
It is not money laundering, just theft. This is how these people make a living.

What was the amount of your check, exactly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:50 am 

ARMAC - would you be able to explain to me who you are and possibly what interest you have in our situations posted here by me and others? I'm new so if this is explained elsewhere please point me in that direction. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:51 pm 
thatguysenglishissobad wrote:
ARMAC - would you be able to explain to me who you are and possibly what interest you have in our situations posted here by me and others? I'm new so if this is explained elsewhere please point me in that direction. Thanks.

I am a corporate investigator for a 7 billion dollar bank. I try to help people understand what has happened.

You being a fan of the TV show 24, do not have any understanding of money laundering. Keep watching TV.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next