There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I guess I'm the new victim on the block
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:22 pm 

Hi all,

I wish we had other reasons for gathering here, but unfortunately, this is the nightmare that has become our lives!

I must say that as horrifying as this experience has been, finding this site gives me hope! At least we (the victims) can speak freely here and are motivated to try and do something about this!

Anyway, here's my story:

My husband and I have a house we rent out. Our tenant gave her notice and we listed the property for rent.

The first to apply was a man who said he was living in the UK and was being transferred to the US for work. It was just he and his wife and 15 year old daughter, no pets. He was looking for a safe, secure, family neighborhood to move to. I wrote him back and gave him the particulars of the property, lease and deposit requirements. A day or so later he asked for the measurements of the rooms (to forward to his assistant at work who would be coordinating the move) because he would have to order furniture and wanted to have a better idea of what would fit in the rooms. I sent him the measurements for his "assistant" and I also requested both work and rental referances. He sent me the information I requested. (his writing for the most part was relatively well spoken although obviously foreign just a bit broken). I called his referances and all checked out. Since he was first in line we decided to rent to him. I sent him a lease which he said he would return back to me as soon as he had his lawyer look it over. About a week later he sent it back to me signed. He said that he wa going to take advantage of the discounted annual rent payment that we offered him ( we discount the rent if for example a student wishes to pay the rent for the year up front. Although this was the first time we had anyone accept it or be in a position to pay it, we do know 2 other real estate owners who have leased their properies this way on more than one occassion). The agreemant we had was to pay 1st & last month rent and security deposit upon signing of the lease (this is what we normally require down. The total being $3,150.00. ) Once he arrived the last week of August he would pay the balance. He said his assistant would send the $3150.00 by Fed Ex. A few days go by he asks if I can assist him in getting the furniture delivered, he thinks it will get here before he does, can I be available to let them in? I said yes. A few more days and a few more emails, small talk mostly (the moneys on its way, thank you for assisting in the move how hard it would be to do this without me etc.) Then Fex Ex knocks on the door we open it and much to our suprise the Cashiers Check is for $11,000.00. I wrote him to see if there was some mistake. This wasn't the ammount we agreed upon and if it was to be for the full years rent it wasnt enough there must be some misunderstanding. He replies that there is no mistake the $3150.00 as agreed should come out of the payment but the balance needs to go to expedite the delivery of the furniture an oversight on the assistants part sending that money to me. They won't deliver the furniture without some payment up front and he requested I send it for him as he was concerned about the upcoming move date and having the furniture arrive on time. (I bought this story hook line and sinker!) He said he would have the assistant call me with the payment details and thanked me profusely.
I took the cashiers check to the bank and I asked the teller how long the hold was going to be or if there as one ( I didnt know if a cashiers check from out of the area required a hold). She asked me to wait and went into some office asked about it when she returned she said "this is just like depositing cash, its available today." ( 2 bank reps looked at it and made the same determination) So a fwe days later the assistant gave me the details and I sent the money to what I thought was for his furniture. A week later I find out from the bank that the Cashiers Check was counterfeit. Our accounts have been frozen and unless we pay back the money by next month (this is the banks idea of "working with us") they are going to procecute us criminally! We dont have this money just lying around we cant pay it and whats worse, our good money that we earned is being kept from us and we cant pay our bills. I had no idea that the bank (who we have been account holders for nearly 20 years) would kick us when we are down like this! I intend to contact anybody who will listen! We are VICTIMS NOT CRIMINALS!