ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What should I do
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:23 am 

Hi. First time and LAST time I deal with any internet transactions I feel uneasy about.

Long story short. I recently sold an xbox to somebody in Nigeria. The emails seemed legit and I was wanting to sell the xbox just to get rid of it. I was offered $80 more than I was asking and he paid for shipping...the usual bait. I took him up on the offer.

Today I am expecting this "bank cheque" in the mail and after reading numerous posts, I am pretty sick to my stomach. I'm unsure whether to rip the thing up, not accept the mail, or report it to the police. I have all the email records, etc...so I have a good paper trail, but I'd like to just rip the fake check up and mark this experience up as a lessoned learned.

What should I do? I have been tracking the shipment on fedex.com and see the package has not yet been delivered, is it possible to revert the package? I just don't want to go to jail or be charged by my bank for fraud.

Please help, and thank you for opening my eyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:28 am 

Pedret call fedex and ask if it is possible to recall your package as you feel you have been scammed. The check won't do you any harm as long as you just destroy it and don't put it into your account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:13 am 
It sounds to me like you still have your game console, and you are worried about the check you are to receive.

Just tear it up, no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:48 am 

I went to check the tracking on the package today and I just caught this a little too late. I wasn't supposed to be delivered for a couple of days, but looks like its on its way now......we'll see if I can get it back.. if not.. I'll live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:12 pm 

If it hasn't been delivered yet you should be able to put a stop on the delivery. Just explain the situation to Fedex and tell them you want to stop the delivery and have it returned to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:31 pm 

Well Fedex really tried to help me out, but I was just a little too late. Fedex was more than helpful but I can understand why they couldn't gaurentee anything. The item was on the final delivery truck when I notified them and I'm sure those good for nothings at the nigerian fedex just ignored it. The item is marked delivered on fedex's tracking site, so oh well. Chalk that experience up as loss, but not a complete loss cause it could have been soo much worse if I would have tried to cash in the money. By the way, I haven't seen any signs of the money yet....I prefer to never see it.
Somebody must have been looking out for me, because I thank God I came to this website and learned the horrible truth about online scams. I am no longer ignorant to evils of the internet that are out there. Although I wasn't scammed quite as bad as most of the folks who have shared their stories on this website, I plan to help the cause by sharing my story with the June writing campaign.
Thank you and God bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:40 pm 
Gold Member

Pedret,

Are you saying you shipped the xbox BEFORE you received any payment for it? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:25 pm 

Rule #1 in Any business online- if paid by check you make it known that the check has to fully clear 7-14 days before the item will ship period end of story.

Never Ever ship items before funds have cleared, this includes certified checks, cashier checks and money orders.