ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many days before the bank gave you notice of fake check?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:19 am 

I was also taken by the bogus check scam an the sale of a car. When I took the check to the bank I told them to hold all funds until the check cleared the issuing bank, I told the account manager of the bank the check was for the sale of a car and didn't want to allow shipping until the funds were verified. I got this in writing from the bank. The check was held for fifteen days before the bank told me the funds were good, over the course of the next two months, the deal fell through, the buyer wanted their money back and I returned it, ( dumbass me ) through western union. SIXTY DAYS after the check had been deposited, the bank, in the middle of the night took the money from my account, no phone call, no notice, no kiss my a$$. if I hadn't tried to use my ATM card that evening, ( it was declined) I would have bounced nine thousand dollars in checks, then the bank would not allow me to deposit a check to cover the funds that had been written against my account, they wanted cash to honor the funds. When the legal proceedings against my former bank are over I might be able to reveal their name. What I really want to know from every victim of this scam is, How long? how many days before your bank said "check no good" one week, two weeks? anyone else get the screws after two months? Please reply to this post, I am angry about the scam, I returned the money because my bank said the check was good so it was not my money. But two months (59 days, no crap) to discover a bad check seems outrageous. Anyone else have that kind of delay? If this is normal, it is no wonder the system is so easy to take advantage of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:01 pm 
Was the check Canadian? I have seen those take up to 2 months to return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:54 am 

No it was from a company in tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

In our case it took about a week, but I have been contacted with victims who have said that it took several weeks to a couple of months like your story, so it is not unheard of.

I once had a bank employee tell me that a check (cashier's or personal) could come back up to 6 months later and the customer would still be liable. 6 MONTHS! Are they delivering this information by pony express?

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:32 pm 
admin wrote:
In our case it took about a week, but I have been contacted with victims who have said that it took several weeks to a couple of months like your story, so it is not unheard of.

I once had a bank employee tell me that a check (cashier's or personal) could come back up to 6 months later and the customer would still be liable. 6 MONTHS! Are they delivering this information by pony express?

Many times the fraudster uses a bad routing number these are bounced up to the Fed and returned at their leisure. Like I said earlier Canadian checks can take a while to return, also USPS money orders can take some time.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:27 pm 

well i fell victim to an online check scam .. they had direct deposited funds into my account supposedly from London, i actually found this website immediately and the bank helped me out with it .. good luck with yours!

Post subject: Re: hey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:57 pm 
JNF0516 wrote:
well i fell victim to an online check scam .. they had direct deposited funds into my account supposedly from London, i actually found this website immediately and the bank helped me out with it .. good luck with yours!

They wired money into your account that was stolen from another account holder. Do you know the name of the bank it came from, one of my friends does corporate investigations and he has had some of these cases lately.

Post subject: How long before the check returned?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:05 am 

I took from February 15, 2005 until May 18, 2005 for a check to process back to my bank from Canada. The check had been bleached and altered and it cleared the bank quickly. The party that was due the money contacted the company that issed the check, then the bank filed a claim with my bank. We had to make the check good. I was the victim of "Payment Officer" scam.

Post subject: Grocery Store can do it
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:39 pm 

Why can a grocery store or any other large retailer, tell you a check is no good immeditatly and the bank (remember, they are in the money business) cannot tell you if it is not good???