ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what about when they threaten you?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:53 am 

Okay,
I got pulled into a "venus flytrap" style 419.
The guy said that he was going to come to a conference out here for work, and wanted to spend some time with me. He wanted me to help him get here from the UK. He told me that he was going to send a cashier's check to me so I could send some money back to him for his flight. This sounded a little fishy to me...he also asked for my account number and routing number (I didn't know you needed them for a cashier's check, but I figured it was different in the UK). He sent the cashier's check last friday(from the bank of michigan and it fed-exed from somewhere in Canada), and I took it to the bank saturday morning.
I immediately got a phone-call from him demanding why I had not yet sent him the money. He told me to go to my bank and remove half the amount of the check and send it to his "friend and business associate," John Okoh. I don't know, but something told me at this point to be skeptical. I googled John Okoh, and his name eventually led me to this site. I then realised that he had never given me his full name. I asked for it, and he just said Dave.
I sent him a message saying that I was going to send the money he requested to him (the name he provided in his e-mail header was David Moses). He called me, flipping out, saying he didn't know a David Moses, and to send it to his friend John Okoh. I sent him, yet another letter telling him that I would kindly wire the money to Mr. Okoh in the morning if he told me his full name. He gave me the Name: David Moses.
He also said that if I procrastinated any further with his money, then he would be calling the FBI and INTERPOL. He said that I will be arrested tomorrow morning. I am really scared and confused...someone please, help me...I sent him a letter detailing all of my findings and saying that I would be taking the information on the check to the SEC when I woke up. I haven't heard back from him since. I'm really freaked out...I'm 18, and he kept saying that I would be spending the "rest of my living life in a hot jail." I am so freaked out right now, and very scared...what have I gotten myslef into...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:37 am 

He is only trying to scare you into sending him the money. You do need to notify your bank that you believe that the check you deposited is fraudulent. Do not take any of the money out of the bank from that check since if you do you will end up paying that money back. You should also take the information you have to your local police and tell them the entire story. This will offer you some protection against charges when that check comes back to the bank fraudulent. It could take some time for the information to reach your bank that the check is fake. If you provide this information to them you will have the upper hand and they will know you are the victim and not an accomplice in the matter. Just stop all communication with this Dave person. He will get tired of the one sided conversations and go on to his next victim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:19 am 
Very good post Pasttired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:59 pm 

semi-good luck for me.
the bank closed my entire account this morning.