ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could I get in trouble?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 pm 

I deposited a cashiers check, that I now know to be a fake. What do I do? The issuer claims that he will report it stolen, which I guess Im not too threatened by since hes a criminal, but I dont want my bank to draw charges against me or get in any legal problems. I have not done anything with the money, it is just sitting in my bank. What do you suggest? I already contacted FBI, they are not interested because its "only" $4500. Just leave it and let the bank make it go away?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:09 pm 
Contact the fraud department at your bank, let them know, they will remove the available balance from the check from your account,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:40 pm 

Actually contacting the fraud department will most likely cause the victim here to get accused of things, and ridiculed by the investigators. The best move would be to do the following :

1. Sit down and do a worksheet showing one side how much you bring in in income each month, the other side how much goes out to bills, take at the bottom of the sheet the income, minus expenses and that is your workable total left over.

2. Contact the bank work out department and show them this sheet and ask for a payment arrangement based upon what is left over to work with. It is important for you to know that the bank has nothing to base knowledge of income and expenses on unless you do this.

Be sincere in your want to settle this matter, do not get upset, threatening, or in any other way nasty if they should attempt to rhile you. Use tact and be business like and keep to the goal of working this out.

The work out department knows of anyone how collections work, they know that if they do not work with you, there is an high risk of you going bankrupt and them getting nothing in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:18 pm 
KarynSolo wrote:
Actually contacting the fraud department will most likely cause the victim here to get accused of things, and ridiculed by the investigators. The best move would be to do the following :

1. Sit down and do a worksheet showing one side how much you bring in in income each month, the other side how much goes out to bills, take at the bottom of the sheet the income, minus expenses and that is your workable total left over.

2. Contact the bank work out department and show them this sheet and ask for a payment arrangement based upon what is left over to work with. It is important for you to know that the bank has nothing to base knowledge of income and expenses on unless you do this.

Be sincere in your want to settle this matter, do not get upset, threatening, or in any other way nasty if they should attempt to rhile you. Use tact and be business like and keep to the goal of working this out.

The work out department knows of anyone how collections work, they know that if they do not work with you, there is an high risk of you going bankrupt and them getting nothing in the end.

In the Bank I am the investigator for, there is no"work out department" and the guy said the entire balance is sitting in the account.

Post subject: armac
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:40 am 

how many times has the bank taken sixty days to discover a fraudulent check? just wondering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:37 am 

Quote:
Just leave it and let the bank make it go away?

That's the best thing to do. Leave it in the account and the bank will eventually take it back out. Keep all records of everything such as copies of e-mails, bank statements and if you made phone calls names, numbers and dates. Since you haven't touched the money, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:16 am 

I came across the same exact thing, except my check was a little more .. what you need to do is get down to your bank ASAP and keep all of your emails and so on as back-up .. let them know about this bank fraud scam that's been going around and with mine they eventually took the money out and everything is fine now luckily .. did you have them direct deposit it or did you yourself deposit the money???? after the bank informed me everything was settled, i switched banks and never looked back.