ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible Scam????
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:59 pm 

I am currently seeling a truck online and have had MANY email scams of the usual.... I have a check for 6000 more than what you are asking..blah, blah, blah.... but this new email is concerning me.....Usually there are plenty of misspelled words or broken English but his emails seem real to me..... He says he is from Oklahoma and this is his 4th or 5th email.....

Thanks for your mail.My friend has reviewed the issue of sending payment and has decided to send you a down payment cashier's check of $10,000 being part payment of the vehicle's cost.When you receive and cash it,you should let us know,so that the agent can proceed to your location to inspect the vehicle.He will also test drive it in your presence.On completion of this,the rest of the money ($6,000) will be paid to you in cash or by bank wire before he picks up the vehicle.I believe this is a better and simpler option.Please confirm the above scenario by sending your name,address and phone number for the down payment check,so that we can proceed with the transaction.I hope to hear from you soon.

Please, I need help.... my gut is being cautious but I am also considering it.... I am going to email him back tonight and ask for his number so I may call him......
Any help is greatly appreciated...
Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:05 pm 
Gold Member

Get his name, address and phone number (insist on a land line) then look him up in the phone directory. If he does not appear, refuse to deal!

Insist that he gives you the bank details now and check them out through your bank. When the cheque arrives, make certain that not only have the funds cleared, but the cheque has been accepted as genuine by the bank upon which it is drawn. Finally ride in the cab during the test drive and insist that the final payment is made in cash.

You may lose the deal, but better that than $16,000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:09 pm 
Gold Member

Why are you dealing with some 3rd party/agent in this deal, and not the person who is actually buying the truck... "My friend has reviewed the issue of sending payment and has decided to send you a down payment cashier's check of $10,000 being part payment of the vehicle's cost" ??
Beware of the "friend" not wanting to proceed with the sale once you have received and deposited the cheque/check, and requiring that you refund the deposit. Make it clear that the down-payment is considered a non-refundable deposit if the buyer decides not to proceed. You might lose a sale as a result, but better than tousands of dollars, as Old Coaster has said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:15 pm 

Thank you very much.... exactly what I was looking for... I sent him an email back for now asking for his number so I may call him..... I will research everything possible and all that you two and anyone else tells me....
Thanx again,
Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:36 pm 

Marc- looks like a scam! Be careful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:05 am 
Gold Member

Marc,

Can you post all the emails you have received from this person(s) so we can review them all? There may be further clues in the other emails that confirm this is a scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:54 am 

Sure.....
email #1:
Good day,
Pls am interested in your chevy and want to confirm from you if it is still available for sale.

email#2:
How are you? I just got your mail, i really appreciate your urgent response.Please give me a comprehensive detail about its present condition,information on service history as well as pictures.
As soon as this is done we will arrange for further proceedings.Please, don't fail to indicate your best price and hoping to hear from you soon.

email#3:
I am from Oklahoma,please indicate your best price for the chevy.

email#4:
Thanks for your mail.My friend has reviewed the issue of sending payment and has decided to send you a down payment cashier's check of $10,000 being part payment of the vehicle's cost.When you receive and cash it,you should let us know,so that the agent can proceed to your location to inspect the vehicle.He will also test drive it in your presence.On completion of this,the rest of the money ($6,000) will be paid to you in cash or by bank wire before he picks up the vehicle.I believe this is a better and simpler option.Please confirm the above scenario by sending your name,address and phone number for the down payment check,so that we can proceed with the transaction.I hope to hear from you soon.

His wording has bothered me from the start... does seem like he is American....
Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:25 am 
Gold Member

I would say SCAM - the wording used seems very similar to that used
in other fake cheque/check scams.
Have you tried checking the email headers to see where the emails are originating from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:03 am 

how is that done? The other thing that is bothering me is that... won't give his full name but..... his first name is John "lastname" in the emails but his yahoo account that is emailing is joe"lastname"@yahoo.... kinda threw me when I saw that.
Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:48 am 
Gold Member

What makes me think this is a scam is the way the buyer is trying to dictate the terms and conditions of the sale. Scammers need to be in control of the sale in order to get the seller to follow their instructions, otherwise the scame won't work. Remember, the seller is in contol of the sale, and determines the terms and conditions of the sale, not the buyer.
Additionally, there is more then one person involved on the buyer's side - the buyer (whom you apparently have had no contact with), his agent/negotiator with whom you are communicating via email, and a 3rd person who will come to inspect and test drive the truck. Most of these fake check scams involve more than one person on the buyer's side, and end up with the seller receiving some money from one person on the buyer's side that must be sent to another person on the buyer's side for the sale to proceed.
I suspect if you agree to proceed with the sale you will be paid more money then agreed for the deposit, with the overage being required to be sent to the person coming to inspect the truck - he has to be paid in advance, otherwise he will not turn up.
Please check the email headers to find out if this guy is really based in the U.S or not. Also search on google for his email id / name to see if these have been used in scams before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:27 am 
Gold Member

See here for how to read email headers:

http://www.hackingspirits.com/cyb_foren ... mails.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:54 pm 

WOW very nice.... I will do this tonight when I get home.... Thanx!
Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:34 pm 

Thank you VERY MUCH to all that helped me... I did an IP addy search and it came up as Nigeria! Problem solved.... Dodged another scam bullitt! This marks the 13th scam attempt on me and my truck.... The internet is great but also ANNOYING!
Thanx ALL!
Marc