ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meijer Inc requiring thumb prints
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:42 pm 

I'm just wondering what purpose it is for a store to require a thumb print on a check written to them. I was in a grocery store tonight and since their check reader wouldn't read my check, nothing unusual here their check readers don't work about half the time with my checks, instead of the usual taking my license and punching it in they made me feel like a criminal saying what if someone had stolen my checkbook. I was standing there with my drivers license in my hand to give them as I have done for the past ten years of dealing with this company. I was so angry with the way the employee treated me I walked out without the groceries. I understand there are criminals who steal checks but I had identification with my picture and have been in their system for at least ten years. Can anyone give me a good reason to have put my thumb print on this check. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:31 pm 

I am in the fraud and forgery field and in my opinion, one reason is if a person is able to steal a check and pass it at a business, if a clerk asks, he may simply write the drivers license number and date of birth of the person he stole the check from, if known. If that happens, then police investigation could turn up a photo, but no personal data of the person with the stolen check. If a thumbprint was used, police would have a thumbprint to match with the photo of the suspect, making apprehension much easier.

I've also found that in counterfeit card cases, specfically, the suspect may have a fake ID to match the name on the card. I figure that could be the case also if someone has written stolen, forged checks. I hope that helps.