ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Same situation but with an important twist
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:16 pm 

I also got approached by a scammer. I realize this now, after I have been to the bank with the check. But here is the twist:
They deposited the money into the account(€5000) but locked the account until the cheque clears. They said it will take a MONTH. As I understand they are checking if there's money in the issuers account.
Now, if something goes wrong in this situation will I be held resposible? After all, they've been clearing the cheque for a month! I feel that if the cheque bounces it should be there resposibility.
The point here is that thic case is different from the others. I have the money in the account but I can't touch them until I have a GO from the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:10 pm 
If your banks sends the check for collection the money will not be available to you until it clears the other bank. If it comes back counterfeit, then no harm no foul 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:12 pm 

Tony,
You first sentence states "you got approached by a scammer"
Why do you think the money is going to clear if you already know it is a scammer???
Yes the bank can still hold you responsible. Some people do not hear that their checks were bad for up to a yr. and are still held responsible even if the bank was "holding the check."
By the way what led up to this story, were you selling something and the scammer wants you to wire money back, if that is the case the check is fake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:01 pm 

It's because just today I came across this forum and read about the scams. I was suspecious and I did a search on Google for "scam money order". So I came here.
It's a woman, supposedly from UK, who is at the moment working in Nigeria. She want's to visit me and asks me to cash a cheque from her PA(wich she can't cash in Nigeria) and send her the money for the ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:39 pm 
Scam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:31 am 
Gold Member

Definitely scam - and you bank is doing you a favour by not letting you withdraw the funds until the check clears - if this had happened in all the other cases documented on this site, there would be no victims of this scam.

Post subject: Scam Victim - Counterfeit Check - May be Stolen/Altered
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:13 am 

The check may clear the bank that is drawn upon. This happened to me. Three months later, we learned that the check was a stolen/altered one. The original payee, never received their accounts receivable payment and of course contacted the account owner. Then the originating bank filed claim with my bank. We had to pay the full amount back. Trust nothing where these checks are concerned. The bank will come back to you, the depositor no matter what!

Post subject: Re: Scam Victim - Counterfeit Check - May be Stolen/Altered
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:02 am 
marigold wrote:
The check may clear the bank that is drawn upon. This happened to me. Three months later, we learned that the check was a stolen/altered one. The original payee, never received their accounts receivable payment and of course contacted the account owner. Then the originating bank filed claim with my bank. We had to pay the full amount back. Trust nothing where these checks are concerned. The bank will come back to you, the depositor no matter what!

If it is sent for collection, the funds are guarenteed by the presenting bank. Anything that is considered "iffy" should be sent for Collections, there is a small fee for that through your bank. There can be no charge-back after an item is sent for collections, call your bank they will have details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:03 pm 

Yup scam, also this woman is 99% most likely a man, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:32 pm 

Armac
I don't know what do you mean Collections but I suspect here it's called Innkasso(colection of dabts). At the bank they mentioned this as a way of verifying the cheque, but they desided to go this way because is a bit cheaper. Now I'm also paying a fee, appr. $80-90. So if they doesn't verify it 100% I shouldn't be held eligible later on. Don't you think? Isn't that's why I'm paying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:22 pm 

ok Tony what your bank is doing is actually responsible in not crediting the check right away. If it comes back bad or counterfeit and you have not been given access to the money you will not wind up owing them.

Here is one thing that you can do, if you have a copy of the check and know the account holders name and address you can call the account holder and ask if they issued you that check. If they said no you can alert your bank to not credit the account for that check, no harm done at that point in time. You may even be able to get the other victim at that point ( the account holder ) to go with you to your respective police departments to put in a fraud complaint.