ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I was the victim of a $45,000 check scam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:46 am 

This turned out to be a twist on the Nigerian check cashing scam -- I think. Long story short -- I was "sold" a life insurance policy from the Great West Life Assurance Company of Canada. I was told that I could cash out the policy right away, for a small fee, and then pay it back over time. I was sent a check from the Great West Life Assurance Company for $45,000. The check looked official, the phone numbers all worked, the address matched the website address, the bank didn't question it when I deposited it -- everything seemed ok to me.

The money hits my bank account and I start using it to pay off all of my credit card debts. I'm not spending friviously or buying new things, just paying off my old debts. Then I log online to my bank one day and see that my account is $38,000 overdrawn -- I think I nearly died right then! Then check had come back as counterfeit.

At this point I am scared to death -- I have now spent all of this money and after researching on the internet I find out that I am going to be liable for it. The bank called a few times and left messages -- said they were going to refer it to the Secret Service. It has been almost a year since then and I am finally digging out of the hole I was in (b/c my account was closed with all the other money I had in there). Yesterday I get a letter from a lawyer that the bank wants to collect. I haven't heard from the secret service yet. I have no idea what to do -- but I am scared to contact anyone about it.

What am I supposed to do? My bank was Wachovia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:54 am 
Gold Member

Who 'sold' you this policy?
Names, addresses ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:18 am 
The Secret Service will not come after you, the bank will press charges with the local police though. You should retain a lawyer and contact your bank, you may have warrant out for your arrest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:26 am 

Maurader,
Send a pm to Kayrnsolo and tell her your situation. She is on this site and also has experience with the banks and works with fraudaid. She hopefully can guide you in the direction you need to take at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:26 pm 

Maurader please contact Fraudaid. You could be in real trouble here and you need help NOW. This is not to be taken lightly, if they choose to prosecute you could be looking at a real hard road battling this. 45k is not a small amount of money and I hate to say it, many police departments either do not get educated enough on the nature of these scams and how they really work, or will go for the bust on the lowest branch of the tree YOU. It helps them to clear the crime by arrest with the least amount of work on their part.

Please do not hesitate to contact us we have the resources to go to bat for you.